EGCG Content in Green Teas

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jan 30th, '09, 21:01
Scrolling: fixed

Might as well finish the monologue.

by Intuit » Jan 30th, '09, 21:01

NASH/fatty liver disease is caused by the buildup of highly corrosive bile acids (and their building block fatty acids) in liver, partly because of blocked pathways from waaay too much free fatty acids being released from energy storage sites in liver due to insulin insensitivity, and partly because alcoholics and diabetics have insufficient production of key antioxidants. These same antioxidants are also used to buffer bile acids so that they don't eat out the upper colon (where bile acids are released during digestion) and gall bladder (where bile acids are stored).

Surely, someone in the medical world has noticed the proliferation of fatty liver disease coinciding with an *incredible* increase (hundreds of percent) in young adult gallbladder disease. The latter USED to be found almost always in the middle aged and seniors.

If I were working on health policy analysis in the CBO (Congressional Budget Office), I would be pushing for hardcore policy of green tea drinking and whole foods (fruits, vegetables but NOT necessarily grains) to help reduce a panoply of chronic diseases caused by inappropriate lifestyle choices.

Jan 30th, '09, 23:43
Scrolling: scrolling

by silverneedles » Jan 30th, '09, 23:43

A study(questionaire based) in Japan from 1984 to 1992 followed ~26000 people. They found no relation between drinking tea and less/more gastric cancer. NEJM 344:632-636 march 1, 2001.

---

Chronic alcoholism is the most common cause of hepatic steatosis in this country.
NASH is associated with obesity.

edit: alcoholic steatosis is due to excess NADH buildup in the liver, causing fat storage in the liver... NADH itself is an antioxidant

The information on healthy living has been out there for many many years. People made their own choice what to eat, how to live, you can see that in the statistics.
Last edited by silverneedles on Jan 31st, '09, 01:37, edited 7 times in total.

Jan 31st, '09, 00:32

by Salsero » Jan 31st, '09, 00:32

Science is so much harder to understand these days.

*But I did enjoy the read, Intuit & Silverneedles ... several times in fact!

Jan 31st, '09, 10:05

by joelbct » Jan 31st, '09, 10:05

silverneedles wrote:The information on healthy living has been out there for many many years. People made their own choice what to eat, how to live, you can see that in the statistics.
C'est la vie. Nice Stewie by the way...

Jan 31st, '09, 11:07
Scrolling: fixed

More the second part than the first.

by Intuit » Jan 31st, '09, 11:07

Read: http://www.journals.elsevierhealth.com/ ... 9/abstract

I should have typed fatty liver disease instead of NASH.

NASH
http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/nash/

Fatty liver is observed in a much higher proportion of Americans than is alluded to in this webpage), with nearly half of the population being overweight and a significant number being obese or morbidly obese.

Look at your average heavy drinker: skinny-fat body type with low muscle mass and high fat percentage, with a pot belly. They tend to be sedentary, have really crappy diet (usually high in saturated fatty acids that activate glucocorticoid receptors in liver) and sleep quality.

Cortisol regulation and receptor dysfunction, mitochondrial enzyme polymorphisms, and excess free fatty acids from *lousy* insulin sensitivity are key to understanding fatty liver disease.

The broad connection between cortisol, insulin sensitivity and serum triglycerides are the common factors of alcoholic, obesity-derived and diabetic fatty liver.

Green tea has other attributes that would be very helpful in treating liver pathology beyond those mentioned here.

Jan 31st, '09, 11:44

by silverneedles » Jan 31st, '09, 11:44

in alcoholic liver disease the problem is excess alcohol, not lack of green tea. treatment is discontinue alcohol, not add green tea.

in obese people with resulting diabetes, heart disease, liver disease, the problem is excess energy intake with low expenditure of that energy, resulting in storage of the excess energy as fat; this is not from lack of green tea.

Jan 31st, '09, 11:47

by Beidao » Jan 31st, '09, 11:47

Another bad effect of to much tea (or to much drinking in general): heartburn and belch. Should be worse the more caffeine your tea has and also worse the faster you drink your tea.
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Jan 31st, '09, 13:03

Great info in this thread!

by Dreamer » Jan 31st, '09, 13:03

Hi All,

My first post on this forum...found you guys about a week ago and I love checking in here...I'll have a look around and find a spot to introduce myself.

Back on topic, this thread has sparked a great conversation! Intuit gave some great advice...(paraphrasing) stick with the plant or an extract of the plant.

Generally speaking, in nature, the nutrients are designed to work together...scientists tend to look at any healthful plant and find the "big thing" in there and think that is the whole story. Then it is isolated and megadosed and later it it found either not to be beneficial or even to be harmful! This seems especially true for anti-oxidants. It turns out that in our (wonderful, fabulous, awesome) bodies a-ox's work in a cascade. One type does its job, and in the process creates some more bad guys (free radicals), the next type cleans those up and creates some other bad guys...etc. We don't even yet know all the nutrients in food...so far 12,000+ have been identified in apples...so it is kind of silly to think we can find just one that is the key.

I think that EGCG is probably a powerful nutrient, but since I can't find a plant or bush that is growing EGCG, I'll stick with drinking tea! I believe that it is the EGCG in combination with everything else in the tea leaf (and the sweet little mind vacation when I have my own tea ceremony) that is health giving!

Happy steeping,
Dreamer

+ Post Reply