Favorite place to buy White tea?

White and yellow teas are among the most subtle.

Jan 31st, '09, 02:29

Favorite place to buy White tea?

by Tea Noob » Jan 31st, '09, 02:29

I haven't seen a lot of posts regarding White tea sellers. I am looking for a good Silver Needle. Nothing too fancy. I got a tasty sample from Adagio and I want to try sample some from another place. Any recommendations?

Jan 31st, '09, 13:45
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jan 31st, '09, 13:45

It very much PAINS me to say this but the best silver needle I have had is from TeaCuppa. But I have just vowed to stop doing business with them. But if you pay regular shipping and don't mind the wait, they have some awesome tea.
http://www.teacuppa.com/white-tea.asp

Jan 31st, '09, 13:46

by silvermage2000 » Jan 31st, '09, 13:46

I would say perhaps teavana or special teas. Rishi would be one to but they are pretty costly.
My name i's ashley I am a female and 21 years old.

Jan 31st, '09, 20:20

by Tea Noob » Jan 31st, '09, 20:20

Victoria wrote:It very much PAINS me to say this but the best silver needle I have had is from TeaCuppa. But I have just vowed to stop doing business with them. But if you pay regular shipping and don't mind the wait, they have some awesome tea.
http://www.teacuppa.com/white-tea.asp
I just got an order of some oolong samples from TeaCuppa. I will probably wait to order from them again so I can try out some other companies. I wasn't the biggest fan of the packaging either.

Feb 3rd, '09, 17:19

by Tea Noob » Feb 3rd, '09, 17:19

not a lot of white tea drinkers out there? Thanks for the 2 responses so far.

I read through every post in this section and it seemed on one that teaspring was favorable. They are sold out for now though.

Maybe I will give TeaCuppa a shot because I love how I can buy samples.

I checked out Rishi at my Whole Foods. I think it was almost $10 per ounce. It sure it convenient sitting in the aisle at the store so I may cave in and go buy it.

Silver Needle aside, what other places to people prefer for White teas?

Feb 3rd, '09, 18:13

by ErikaM » Feb 3rd, '09, 18:13

The only other whites I've purchased are Rishi (from Whole Foods) and Dragonwater. The Rishi (white plum berry) is way too fruity for me, more like a tisane with some white tea mixed in. You can't really taste the tea... the end result actually makes me think of Kool-Aid with a hint of tea flavor. :? I'm going to try blending it with white peony or snowbud and see if I can tone it down to something more to my liking. I bought it for iced tea, which is why I picked a flavored tea... flavors are not something I generally drink hot.

Dragonwater... well, definitely not to my taste. After the first cup I gave my samples to a friend. For now I'm sticking with Adagio for whites; I've been happy with everything I've ordered so far. Maybe when the spring crops are out I'll try samples from TeaSpring or Seven Cups.

Feb 3rd, '09, 18:46

by Pentox » Feb 3rd, '09, 18:46

I've had my fair share of Silver Needle. Off of the top of my head: Seven Cups, Tao of Tea, Tea Chai Te, Dragonwater, Imperial Tea Court, and swan sisters. and probably a few others.

Of those the top two that come to mind are Seven Cups and Swan Sisters. They're both exceptional teas, and both about the same price as each other. ~$10.00 / oz.

Beyond that there aren't many white teas that I try. I try the occasional Bai Mu Dan, the White Symphony from Adagio is quite good in that department. Also if you're looking for something different I loved the Melon White from Lupicia. It's a melon flavored Bai Mu Dan.

Feb 3rd, '09, 20:07

by Salsero » Feb 3rd, '09, 20:07

I just got a sample Fu Ding Bai Hao Yin Zhen from Jing Tea Shop. I haven't tasted it and even if I had it wouldn't mean much since I don't know my way around white tea, but Jing usually has very good stuff at reasonable prices. They say they aren't carrying their usual Yin Zhen because "Weather hasn't been kind in the Zheng He county."

Feb 3rd, '09, 22:45

by Tea Noob » Feb 3rd, '09, 22:45

I just got a sample Fu Ding Bai Hao Yin Zhen from Jing Tea Shop. I haven't tasted it and even if I had it wouldn't mean much since I don't know my way around white tea, but Jing usually has very good stuff at reasonable prices. They say they aren't carrying their usual Yin Zhen because "Weather hasn't been kind in the Zheng He county."
I just got an order from them and a white sample was in it. Since I didn't know the Chinese names I just through it in the cabinet. Your post reminded me and I went to see if it was a sample of silver needle. Well, it wasn't it was the other one they offer, bai mu dan. I have only tried the roasted TGY I got from them. It is my first time trying that type so I don't have anything to measure against but I like it.
Of those the top two that come to mind are Seven Cups and Swan Sisters. They're both exceptional teas, and both about the same price as each other. ~$10.00 / oz.
I have been interested in placing an order with Seven Cups. They don't offer a ton of sample options and that is the stage I am in but I think the recomendation of their Bai Hao may push me to place that order.
For now I'm sticking with Adagio for whites; I've been happy with everything I've ordered so far. Maybe when the spring crops are out I'll try samples from TeaSpring or Seven Cups.
The only whites I have tried are from Adagio. I really like the silver needle but don't have anything to measure it against. In fact I enjoy most of what I get from them. Maybe I too will wait for the new harvest to try someone new. Anything at this point is nearly a year old right?

Feb 4th, '09, 09:57

by ErikaM » Feb 4th, '09, 09:57

Tea Noob wrote:
I have been interested in placing an order with Seven Cups. They don't offer a ton of sample options and that is the stage I am in but I think the recomendation of their Bai Hao may push me to place that order.
A lot of their teas are available in a .88 oz size, which makes a good sample size. I've ordered a bunch of things that way.

Edit: Nevermind, I just realized the .88 oz size isn't available for whites. I've mostly ordered greens and didn't realize. :oops:

Feb 4th, '09, 14:25

by Trey Winston » Feb 4th, '09, 14:25

Tea Noob wrote: Maybe I too will wait for the new harvest to try someone new. Anything at this point is nearly a year old right?
Yeah, but that shouldn't be a problem if it's stored right. If my experience last year is anything to go by, the '09 whites won't be available for months yet, unless you know someone who can get it to you early (or you luck out on Ebay). You can drink a lot of tea in a couple of months...

My suggestion: Don't wait, try a few varieties now. Then when the new harvest is in, you already know what you like and can order more of your favorites while they're fresh from the bush :)
Trey

Feb 8th, '09, 17:37

by Tea Noob » Feb 8th, '09, 17:37

Trey Winston wrote:
Tea Noob wrote: Maybe I too will wait for the new harvest to try someone new. Anything at this point is nearly a year old right?
Yeah, but that shouldn't be a problem if it's stored right. If my experience last year is anything to go by, the '09 whites won't be available for months yet, unless you know someone who can get it to you early (or you luck out on Ebay). You can drink a lot of tea in a couple of months...

My suggestion: Don't wait, try a few varieties now. Then when the new harvest is in, you already know what you like and can order more of your favorites while they're fresh from the bush :)
I agree. I have too little patience to wait for a new harvest anyway. I will just order enough to get me by. I will report back once I get some and try it. Thanks for all the help thus far.

Feb 8th, '09, 17:54

by Victoria » Feb 8th, '09, 17:54

I would buy direct from Rishi online, rather than something on a store shelf.
If you want a real treat try their:
Ancient Moonlight White, Organic Fair Trade White Tea:
http://www.rishi-tea.com/store/ancient- ... e-tea.html

Price prohibitive for a daily drinking tea, but nice to have on hand for times
when you want something really special. It is lovely.

Feb 9th, '09, 03:01

by Trey Winston » Feb 9th, '09, 03:01

Victoria wrote: Price prohibitive for a daily drinking tea, but nice to have on hand for times
when you want something really special. It is lovely.
I can vouch for this. The tea itself does the beautiful name justice.

+ Post Reply