leaf question

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Feb 1st, '09, 20:28

leaf question

by puerhking » Feb 1st, '09, 20:28

Some of the leaves here appear to be sha qing'ed completely. The top one...the piece next to it and the set on the right are all brownish red and feel tough. Most of the other leaves show signs of being wok treated but not to this degree. Is this an attempt to make the cake seem more complex or aged?

Feb 1st, '09, 20:58

by shogun89 » Feb 1st, '09, 20:58

I have noticed this in the '07 jingmai spring cake as well.

Feb 1st, '09, 22:41

by hop_goblin » Feb 1st, '09, 22:41

Sometimes the redness has nothing to do with the killgreen stage. Red leaves could be an indication that they allowed the leaves to sit in the baskets to long after picking. If it is a blended cake, remember that it contains maocha from different plantations and growers so inconsistency is common.

Feb 2nd, '09, 20:18

by puerhking » Feb 2nd, '09, 20:18

hop_goblin wrote:Sometimes the redness has nothing to do with the killgreen stage. Red leaves could be an indication that they allowed the leaves to sit in the baskets to long after picking. If it is a blended cake, remember that it contains maocha from different plantations and growers so inconsistency is common.
These seem to be evenly distributed through the cake. I wondered because it tastes similar to another cake I have that also has those tough dark leaves through out the cake.

+ Post Reply