Jan 3rd, '06, 12:24

by Ghost of Tea » Jan 3rd, '06, 12:24

So far the tea chest experiments have met with only limited success. The Luon I intended to use as the primary building material isn't holding up. I am going to use some 1-by to support it.

More as I continue this project.
"Smash you good! Dead you be!" -from Tadeira

Jan 3rd, '06, 15:21

by jogrebe » Jan 3rd, '06, 15:21

Same here, I think the design that I have works fine the problem is that the cardboard and duct tape was not strong enough as the whole thing pretty much collapsed a day after I took the original picture causing most of the tins to fall all over the floor. Luckily all of the tins stayed closed when they fell so that wasn't any wasted tea. I guess now the next step will be to find a way to make the same thing out of wood, although that might take a while as I haven't done any thing of that nature since wood shop in middle school.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

Jan 3rd, '06, 15:59

by librarianpirate » Jan 3rd, '06, 15:59

I crochet, I sew, I sword fight, I read waaaay too many books...

I keep trying to think of a way I can use any of my skills to make myself something awesome like this. It isn't working. Someday when I am a rich and famous librarian, I will get myself a professional carpenter and I will get one made for me. Until then ... maybe I can crochet myself one!

Jan 4th, '06, 12:14

by teaspoon » Jan 4th, '06, 12:14

LoL, you could TOTALLY crochet yourself a tea cabinet! Ok so probably more like a tea sack, but still. Actually if you crochet it with wire or something, you could pull it off. In theory. It would end up being like a wire mesh type cabinet.

In the meantime, you're a librarian, right? So you've got plenty of bookshelves, right? Heehee just scoot the books over and make them share the space with your tea! Books and tea go quite well together anyway. Well, drinking the tea anyway. Not tea on the books.

~teaspoon the literary hooker
"My sister and I have this wish before we die...
Tea in the Sahara with you."
~The Police, "Tea in the Sahara"

I am the size of 1 tsp.

Jan 4th, '06, 13:08

by garden gal » Jan 4th, '06, 13:08

Boy, the duct tape contraption was a pretty desperate attempt. Why not just check your local grocery store or pet store for their display racks. They pitch those when that product is sold. This time of year there are a bunch of them from holiday specials. There was even one that had celestial seasoning teas in it if I remember right from Krogers the other day. It was technically made for upright but just take off the bottom stand and flip it sideways. Or truly redneck- take 1x4s from pallets and old cool whip or butter containers placed on the side to stack them up with. Personally, I was going to take an old wooden staple box, flip it sideways and hang it on the wall so it was up, not taking shelf space and made a nice little display.

Jan 4th, '06, 15:06

by Ghost of Tea » Jan 4th, '06, 15:06

Nah...I'm a guy. Half the fun is working out how to get it all to fit together.

The other half is seeing the look on Teaspoon's face when I give it to her.

Jan 4th, '06, 20:08

by jogrebe » Jan 4th, '06, 20:08

garden gal wrote:Boy, the duct tape contraption was a pretty desperate attempt.
What is wrong with you, don't you know that duct tape is the handyman's secret weapon according to Red Green? Likewise according to him its important to “remember if the women don't find you handsome they should at least fine you handy.” That is what Ghost of Tea understands right, as its like any guy can just buy a pontoon boat for their woman, however it takes a very handy guy to recycle the temporarily unused heating ducts in their house, using lots of duct tape, a comfortable easy chair and an outboard motor. Thus unlike the fools who wasted good money buying their boat which can be made out of things you have lying around, you don't have to worry about where to store the boat during the winter as when it gets too cold to use the boat you can take it apart and return the heating ducts for the house to be used for the winter and then repeat the cycle next spring.
John Grebe

~C. S. Lewis

Jan 4th, '06, 20:49

by garden gal » Jan 4th, '06, 20:49

OK, I got it- use the sample tins that everyone is trying to figure out how to recycle- turn them on their sides, hot glue them to be 2 high using them as the support column and use the 1xs that you have as the shelves (if you want to duct tape the whole thing instead of hot glueing that's fine- you can even use the camo duct tape like my sons have).

Jan 4th, '06, 20:52

by Mike B » Jan 4th, '06, 20:52

jogrebe wrote:What is wrong with you
You'll have to tell us about the view from your glass house.

Jan 4th, '06, 23:02

by jogrebe » Jan 4th, '06, 23:02

Mike B wrote:
jogrebe wrote:What is wrong with you
You'll have to tell us about the view from your glass house.
View, what view? I can't see anything through these duct tape covered walls can you?
John Grebe

~C. S. Lewis

Jan 5th, '06, 08:54

by Ghost of Tea » Jan 5th, '06, 08:54

After careful review I have discovered that there was no duct tape in our tool room. That didn't really surprise me, since we tend to use Gaffer's tape in much larger quantities.

After looking around, however, I managed to find some duct tape on the back wall of the theater, stuck to the wall. Well I figured, waste not - want not, so I started peeling back the duct tape from the wall.

Fortunately, the tape was still sticky. Unfortunately, behind the duct tape appears to be some kind of gash in the space-time continuum. It's kinda' glowy and purpleish-greenish-red colored. I poked the end of a piece of wood in there, and when I pulled it out, it had turned into a branch and sprouted leaves.

Apparantly it's springtime in the ether-verse.

Anyhow, does anyone know how to seal up a gap in the space-time continuum? I tried to reseal it with duct tape, but every time I cover it up, the duct tape turns into a hamster and runs off. I hesitate to use Gaffer's tape, since it's not supposed to be long lasting. Oh, and I put up some "Caution:Wet Floor" signs nearby, just in case.

Jan 5th, '06, 09:53

by teaspoon » Jan 5th, '06, 09:53

*sigh* Silly boy. I keep telling you, don't mess with second-hand duct tape. You never know what you're un-fixing.

Anyway, clearly the only solution now is to sew the tear shut. Get me some gold thread and an adamantium needle and I'll come bail you out with my mad sewing skillz.

~teaspoon
"My sister and I have this wish before we die...
Tea in the Sahara with you."
~The Police, "Tea in the Sahara"

I am the size of 1 tsp.

Jan 5th, '06, 14:38

by librarianpirate » Jan 5th, '06, 14:38

I'm not actually a librarian yet - I'm a library science student. I'll have my masters in December and THEN I'll be a librarian.

Likewise, I just moved to the Chicago area, and all my bookcases got a big mangled in the move somehow, so my entire apartment is boxes and boxes of books. That's not so much helpful. (: But when I get bookcases again the tea is going right on them!

Personally I like that you all are trying to make your own cabinets. I just lament my lack of handiness and my need to buy my own - but someday as a world famous librarian I'll be able to do it.

Jan 6th, '06, 08:45

by Ghost of Tea » Jan 6th, '06, 08:45

Though the cabinet itself isn't progressing at the moment, since I haven't had much free time to get into the shop since we reopened on the 3rd, the tear in the space-time continuum on the back wall of the stage may have eaten our box office manager.

A friend of mine suggested that I use interconnecting slots in the luon shelves to add extra support and give them a nice "one-piece" look. I think I'm gonna' go with that. Looks like the cubbies will be 5 across and 5 down.

Apr 13th, '06, 13:35

by Molly » Apr 13th, '06, 13:35

I like the idea of a cabinet. Lately though my inspiration has led me to wonder if perhaps a tiered lazy susan would be better for the space atop my filing cabinet at work to store my plethora of Adagio tins and other teaware... It's just a matter of finding the right one that fits the picture in my head.
Drink your tea slowly and reverently, as if it is the axis on which the world earth revolves - slowly, evenly, without rushing toward the future.

~Thich Nat Hahn~

+ Post Reply