Any Tea with a Licorice taste?


These teas can resemble virtually any flavor imaginable.

Any Tea with a Licorice taste?

Postby King_juanito » Feb 4th, '09, 02:19

i have an idea for a blend, but in order for it to get the taste i want, i need a tea with Licorice taste, or something close to it, any help would be great!!
User avatar
King_juanito
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Jan 26th, '

Postby woozl » Feb 4th, '09, 05:06

licorice root or star anise are good choices.
Try the local health food store.
User avatar
woozl
 
Posts: 774
Joined: Jan 27th, '
Location: Alice's Tea Party

Postby Herb_Master » Feb 4th, '09, 07:06

Agastache would be my choice.

http://www.theherbaltouch.com/articles/herbgard.html

Anise-hyssop (agastache foeniculum) is a very pretty perennial that makes a great tea, especially if you like the taste of licorice. The first year I grew anise-hyssop, my one plant was not enough but, I quickly found out that a whole row was too much. Oh the fun of gardening!


I have some in the garden, but have yet to see if they will survive the Winter.
User avatar
Herb_Master
 
Posts: 1808
Joined: Jun 4th, '0
Location: Stockport, England

Postby beecrofter » Feb 4th, '09, 08:49

Herb_Master wrote:Agastache would be my choice.

http://www.theherbaltouch.com/articles/herbgard.html

Anise-hyssop (agastache foeniculum) is a very pretty perennial that makes a great tea, especially if you like the taste of licorice. The first year I grew anise-hyssop, my one plant was not enough but, I quickly found out that a whole row was too much. Oh the fun of gardening!


I have some in the garden, but have yet to see if they will survive the Winter.


Should be quite hardy and it self sows freely, the new tops make the best tea.
Even better when mixed with other mints.
Lives quite well in my Connecticut garden, winter lows of -10F
beecrofter
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Jul 23rd, '

Postby tjkoko_off » Feb 4th, '09, 10:47

woozl wrote:licorice root or star anise are good choices.
Try the local health food store.


Licorice root does not taste like licorice. Only star anise does. As a matter of fact, the "licorice" in licorice root is a misnomer for the glucose meaning term "glycerrise" (sp?): sweet tasting. As to taste, licorice root is actually a stick that has a very sweet taste and provides throaty relief by coating a well irritated throat.
User avatar
tjkoko_off
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Nov 9th, '0
Location: Swamps

Postby silvermage2000 » Feb 4th, '09, 12:37

Note I have not tried these except the last one. just look over at the tea sites to check. Rishi mahgreb mint tea,choice organic sweet liquorice mint tea,stash sweet liquorice black tea.
silvermage2000
 
Posts: 538
Joined: Apr 1st, '0
Location: united states IL.

Postby Victoria » Feb 4th, '09, 13:14

You might like this one called Lady Orchid - it is ginseng and licorice.

http://www.teacuppa.com/Lady-Orchid-Oolong-Tea.asp

The taste is very mind though, still it's a nice tea.
User avatar
Victoria
 
Posts: 8186
Joined: Jan 8th, '0
Location: Southern CA

Postby chamekke » Feb 4th, '09, 13:17

Be cautious if you use actual licorice root, since it can lead to increases in blood pressure and other health problems. If you want to use actual licorice as an ingredient (and especially if you have hypertension), try to get deglycyrrhizinated liquorice to avoid this problem.

Or, just buy star anise.
User avatar
chamekke
 
Posts: 1980
Joined: Apr 6th, '0
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Postby Beidao » Feb 4th, '09, 13:44

tjkoko wrote:
woozl wrote:licorice root or star anise are good choices.
Try the local health food store.


Licorice root does not taste like licorice. Only star anise does. As a matter of fact, the "licorice" in licorice root is a misnomer for the glucose meaning term "glycerrise" (sp?): sweet tasting. As to taste, licorice root is actually a stick that has a very sweet taste and provides throaty relief by coating a well irritated throat.


I have had pure licorice root (dried) to chew on and also tea made only out of licorice root. I did think it tasted licorice, however very sweet, just as you say.
User avatar
Beidao
 
Posts: 524
Joined: Apr 10th, '
Location: Sweden

Postby King_juanito » Feb 11th, '09, 02:04

Any Adagio teas with the taste, i was looking to buy from this site, ant ideas?
User avatar
King_juanito
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Jan 26th, '


Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation