Jing Tea Shop Gaiwan, what else to buy...

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jan 8th, '09, 21:27

by Bubba_tea » Jan 8th, '09, 21:27

Herb_Master wrote:I don't understand why kam in 101 is not using the saucer! And certainly don't understand why the side of the gaiwan is being grasped or touched.
I saw that too, but not all gaiwans come with the saucer.

----
- Sent from my iPoser

Jan 24th, '09, 00:35

by Tea Noob » Jan 24th, '09, 00:35

Well, order shipped 1/7 and now 16 days in and package is still not here. Good thing I paid for the faster shipping method that was $20+. I received an order from TeaCuppa (order placed same day) on Monday and paid for the cheapest shipping option, around $5. I paid for AirMail which, according to his site, was something like 8-15 days. Can't say I am impressed so far.

Jan 24th, '09, 01:08

by tenuki » Jan 24th, '09, 01:08

Video of thumb on top style in casual practice.

Notice that the part of the gaiwan that steam is escaping from, ie the top when tipped is not near any flesh, the fleshy part between the thumb and forefinger is safetly on the side.

When you first pick it up don't put a lot of pressure on the thumb, just support it in the cup of your hand and wiggle the thumb around to get the lid to open just right on the way over to the cup. Then just add a touch of thumb pressure to set the lid steady and rotate your wrist like you are turning a knob counterclockwise and voila.

I have 5 different gaiwans of varying sizes and construction, brew just about everything at a rolling boil straight out of the kettle and don't have any problems anymore. It does take a bit of practice to stay away from the hot points though so don't get discouraged.

ps. I noticed after I made this video that I brew both right and left handed. I guess I just unconciously reach for it with whatever hand is closest. lol. So there you go, both left and right handed examples.

Jan 24th, '09, 04:41

by xuancheng » Jan 24th, '09, 04:41

With all this gaiwan advice, I just thought I would add my 2 cents.

However you use a gaiwan, make sure the part your hand touches isn't wet. Wet porcelain transfers heat really fast. It doesn't matter which method you use to pour out the tea, if the bowl is dry on the gripping points it will feel a lot less hot.
茶也醉人何必酒?

Jan 31st, '09, 22:47

by lamppost » Jan 31st, '09, 22:47

Tea Noob wrote:Well, order shipped 1/7 and now 16 days in and package is still not here. Good thing I paid for the faster shipping method that was $20+. I received an order from TeaCuppa (order placed same day) on Monday and paid for the cheapest shipping option, around $5. I paid for AirMail which, according to his site, was something like 8-15 days. Can't say I am impressed so far.
Hi Tea Noob,

Have you received you package yet? According to JTS, my order was shipped on 1/2 but I have not received it. Thx.

Feb 3rd, '09, 23:31

by Tea Noob » Feb 3rd, '09, 23:31

lamppost wrote: Hi Tea Noob,

Have you received you package yet? According to JTS, my order was shipped on 1/2 but I have not received it. Thx.
Yes I did receive the package. It was about a week late around the 24th. A bit disappointed that the shipping times were not reliable. Silly me for thinking 12-15 means exactly that. Aside from that, package arrived in good condition, great packaging. Kinda stunk that I had to sign for the package at the post office, very inconvenient. I would have had it sent to work if that was disclosed.

On the positive side, I have been using the gaiwan at every opportunity. I have only tried one sample it was the aged TGY that someone recommended and it was quite good.

What shipping did you pay for? I paid for airmail. I am also in AZ and if you are further east it may take longer because snail mail picks it up when it arrives in the country.

Feb 4th, '09, 12:13

by lamppost » Feb 4th, '09, 12:13

I received my package on 2/2. According to the pickup slip from USPS, the package arrived on 1/14 but the first and final attempt delivery was on 1/30. I emailed Seb and informed him about the delay. I will not use airmail again for expensive tea. :)

+ Post Reply