I'm a convert! Just ordered my first batch of REAL tea!

White and yellow teas are among the most subtle.

Apr 14th, '06, 10:58

I'm a convert! Just ordered my first batch of REAL tea!

by FairTaxGuy » Apr 14th, '06, 10:58

I placed an order last night for the White Tea Sampler. I couldn't decide on whether or not to do the White Tea Sampler or the White Tea Flavors Sampler but figured being the first time I should see what real White Tea tastes like. Now that I got that $5 coupon perhaps I'll order the White Tea Flavors Sampler too!! :)

How long does the sampler typically last if you do single infusions? I'd estimate to just double that if you did doubles. Thanks for the great site!
Vote RON PAUL!
Join the rEVOLution: www.RonPaul2008.com

Apr 14th, '06, 11:06

by Richard » Apr 14th, '06, 11:06

Welcome aboard!

Each sampler has enough to make 8-10 8-oz cups of tea. I usually get about five out of mine since I brew 16 ounces at a time. It's plenty to decide whether or not you like a tea. Then you can get the large ridiculous sizes, like the one-pound size, which makes many dozens of cups of tea...and people still order them regularly. I guess when you make good tea like we do, people like to drink it.

::plugs Adagio a little bit harder::

Apr 14th, '06, 11:33

by kodama » Apr 14th, '06, 11:33

I don't know about the whites, but for many teas single infusions are kind of silly. It can be reinfused for maybe 18-36 hours and it often tastes best after the second or third, loosing flavor after the fourth-seventh depending on the tea.

Apr 14th, '06, 12:27

by Warden Andy » Apr 14th, '06, 12:27

Yeah, definately try to get more infusions out of the tea. if you do the normal teaspoon per 8 oz cup (2 teaspoons for white since it's not as dense), you can probably still get a second or third infusion out of it. Just add a minute to each later infusion.

Just make sure you follow the brewing instructions. If you have water much hotter than 180 degrees, the tea will come out more like bitter cooked vegetables.

Apr 15th, '06, 00:48

by FairTaxGuy » Apr 15th, '06, 00:48

Thanks guys!

I also read from other posts in this forum that much of the antioxidants are gone after the first infusion? Though that makes me wonder, because if the flavor and color is still coming out, wouldn't the EGCG and other phenols constitute what gives the tea its color and flavor?!
kodama wrote:I don't know about the whites, but for many teas single infusions are kind of silly. It can be reinfused for maybe 18-36 hours and it often tastes best after the second or third, loosing flavor after the fourth-seventh depending on the tea.
Interesting points kodama. I'm a little curious about the 18-36 hour thing though. If you'd steep for 7 minutes a cup that'd be a minimum of 154 cups of tea using the 18 hour figure. Though I probably misunderstood :)
Vote RON PAUL!

Apr 15th, '06, 01:03

by kodama » Apr 15th, '06, 01:03

Actually, I usually push it to 160 just to get a round number. I don't need strong tea.

I just meant that the damp leaves (out of water) can wait about a day to resteep, so it is worthwhile even if you drink 2 cups/day.

Apr 15th, '06, 15:33

by FairTaxGuy » Apr 15th, '06, 15:33

kodama wrote:Actually, I usually push it to 160 just to get a round number. I don't need strong tea.

I just meant that the damp leaves (out of water) can wait about a day to resteep, so it is worthwhile even if you drink 2 cups/day.
OHHHHH!! LOL. Ok, that makes more sense then making 160 cups of tea from one batch.
Vote RON PAUL!

Apr 20th, '06, 00:31

by FairTaxGuy » Apr 20th, '06, 00:31

Got them in today but haven't tried it yet. Will save it first for tomorrow (thursday) morning! :)
Vote RON PAUL!

Apr 20th, '06, 09:35

by Richard » Apr 20th, '06, 09:35

Well it's Thursday now, FTG: how are you liking it?

Apr 20th, '06, 22:53

by FairTaxGuy » Apr 20th, '06, 22:53

Well I hope I don't get hanged here but I really could not taste much of a difference between this and the target brand white tea I initially bought. The kind I drank today was snowbud. We made 3 infusions and I took 4 cups to work with me and my wife drank the remaining two cups.

Perhaps it's because I don't drink the tea straight up but sweeten it. It certainly wasn't bad or disappointing! It was weird seeing what looked like "weeds" in the water I was about to drink. It looked like spinach kinda or something. A little gross at first but hey I'm a rookie :) I take solace in the fact that this isn't bottom of the barrel "tea dust" that I'm drinking and truely has the antioxidants in it too!

I'll probably try the White Tea tropics and or blueberry flavored batch next.
Vote RON PAUL!

+ Post Reply