Morrocan mint tea, which kind of mint to use?

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

Sep 6th, '07, 05:51

Morrocan mint tea, which kind of mint to use?

by razbijati » Sep 6th, '07, 05:51

Hi,

I very much liked the Morrocan tea when visiting this fascinating country, and I would like to make it at home. Can someone help me with the mint, which one to use, there are so many different kinds?

Sep 6th, '07, 11:36

by Wesli » Sep 6th, '07, 11:36

Hey Razbijati, there are two ideal mints to use. These are spearmint and peppermint. Some Moroccan Mint blends use all peppermint, some use all spearmint, and some use a combination of the two. I prefer to use peppermint, however, I recommend you go down to a local store and smell the two to find out for yourself which one you like more.

Sep 27th, '07, 08:35

by razbijati » Sep 27th, '07, 08:35

tnx FataliTEA, I will try to get some seeds so I can plant some of my own.

Sep 27th, '07, 10:16

by Mocha Wheels » Sep 27th, '07, 10:16

personally, i'd go with peppermint- i do not like the menthol taste or smell of spearmint. why don't you just buy morrocan mint tea?

Mar 6th, '08, 11:19

by MoGa » Mar 6th, '08, 11:19

Mocha Wheels wrote:personally, i'd go with peppermint- i do not like the menthol taste or smell of spearmint. why don't you just buy morrocan mint tea?
I'm a bit late to this... apologies.

Moroccan mint tea without fresh mint sounds as unappetising as instant coffee granules would to an espresso lover.

I really, really enjoyed this in North Morocco (I have a sweet tooth) and remember it was made with green tea and fresh spearmint (which fills the glass) as well as plenty of sugar.

I'm not sure what 'moroccan mint tea' is, but if it involves not selecting your own fresh mint I can't say I like the sound of it. Seems like it would be a parody of the real thing.

I'm sure this tea is just as nice with fresh peppermint. I also like dried mint teas occasionally, I just would dare call them Moroccan mint teas... seems almost insulting to a country with such an extraordinary tea culture.

Mar 6th, '08, 20:39

by Eastree » Mar 6th, '08, 20:39

Moroccan Mint is simply (traditionally, though not necessarily) 'gunpowder' green tea with spearmint. There's no reason for you *not* to buy them both separately to enjoy them in the same cup.

Feb 6th, '09, 00:55

by RockingtheRepublic » Feb 6th, '09, 00:55

I buy organic generic mint at the supermarket and sweeten it with agave... YUM!!!!!
Remember... Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. Henry David Thoreau

Find me on Twitter @ RockingRepublic

Feb 6th, '09, 14:21

by silvermage2000 » Feb 6th, '09, 14:21

I would say that peppermint and spearmint would be the best. Although wintergreen would be kind of interesting perhaps with chamomile.
My name i's ashley I am a female and 21 years old.

+ Post Reply