How I Created My Pumidor

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Feb 16th, '09, 14:42

How I Created My Pumidor

by TeaEye » Feb 16th, '09, 14:42

Living in Southern California I've been determined to figure out the best way to store my sheng at the proper humidity. We live in a small house so I couldn't allocate a room or even a closet. I finally came up with this solution - first of all I started with one of these "grow boxes" designed for hydroponic "gardening" (sorry for the crappy photo):

For humidification I got a Hydra humidifier which is designed for cigar humidors. I also got the additional 3 fan upgrade.

I didn't want to continually be opening up the contraption to check the humidity so I got this wireless Temperature/Humidity monitor:

And hung the remote sensor from the top framework of the grow box:

I had to figure out some kind of a shelving solution. I came up with this hanging canvas sweater organizer. I cut openings in the sides to facilitate air flow. It hangs perfectly from the crossbar at the top of the grow box.

There is space on each shelf for 16 beengs:

but I don't think the cardboard sitffeners are going to support that much weight for long. I'm still searching some kind of a shelving solution that will fit in the 16" x 16" footprint.

I'm not sure the external fans were a good idea. The wiring harness is too short to position them very far from the base unit.

Here is the whole set up before I started loading it up with my stash:

And here it is all zipped up and in its permanent home on the top shelf of a wire shelving unit in our office:

As I sit here in the office I can here the fans buzzing away, and look over at my humidity monitor to see the room is at 58%, but it is 76% in the pumidor!

I am concerned about fresh air flow, mold, and ???

I look forward to your suggestions and comments.

[Thanks to Herb_Master for the instructions on embedding photos]
Last edited by TeaEye on Feb 16th, '09, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.

Feb 16th, '09, 15:24

by hop_goblin » Feb 16th, '09, 15:24

Now this is a very practical device! Congrats

Feb 16th, '09, 15:41
Scrolling: scrolling

by silverneedles » Feb 16th, '09, 15:41

Wow! ingenious! very nice!
check the fan voltages, see if you can swap with bigger & slower fans that will be less noisy

Feb 16th, '09, 16:40

by shogun89 » Feb 16th, '09, 16:40

Very cool indeed. I think that as long as you open it up and air it out for about 5 minutes per day mold will not be a n issue. just keep an eye on it. usually if mold develops you can stop it before damage is done, if caught early.

Feb 16th, '09, 16:46

by Salsero » Feb 16th, '09, 16:46

Impressive as heck!

Feb 16th, '09, 17:46

by Drax » Feb 16th, '09, 17:46

Ha! Very awesome!! Much better use than storing shoes... :D

76% might be a little high....? I dunno... I'm setting mine to 68% at the moment.

Feb 16th, '09, 20:47

by JustinW » Feb 16th, '09, 20:47

Using that "grow box" was an excellent idea. I was thinking that kind of material might work good because of lack of odor, but I'm not sure. Does it have any smell to it?

Feb 16th, '09, 22:13

by TeaEye » Feb 16th, '09, 22:13

JustinW wrote:Using that "grow box" was an excellent idea. I was thinking that kind of material might work good because of lack of odor, but I'm not sure. Does it have any smell to it?
Minor odor when I first unpacked it, but completely neutral after the few days it took me to assemble all the components.

Feb 17th, '09, 08:31

by tony shlongini » Feb 17th, '09, 08:31

I dunno. It only holds eighty bings. :lol:

Feb 17th, '09, 18:02

by heatwaves » Feb 17th, '09, 18:02

MacGyver!!!

Incredible ingenuity.

Hey TeaEye, where did you get your Hydra Humidifier?? It's not a misting-type humidifier, correct? I'm in So Cal and would like to pick one up.

And one more question... how often do you have to refill the water reservoir?

Feb 17th, '09, 21:56

by TeaEye » Feb 17th, '09, 21:56

heatwaves wrote:MacGyver!!!

Incredible ingenuity.

Hey TeaEye, where did you get your Hydra Humidifier?? It's not a misting-type humidifier, correct? I'm in So Cal and would like to pick one up.

And one more question... how often do you have to refill the water reservoir?
I got it online from duquecigars.com (free shipping) - not misting - I haven't run it out of water yet, but I just went 4 days and it seemed to be about 1/2 gone - a little hard to tell because it uses that florist's foam to retain the distilled water in the cartridge.

+ Post Reply