My first attempt at real tea

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Feb 19th, '09, 07:28

My first attempt at real tea

by tjausti » Feb 19th, '09, 07:28

I got my starter set in from adagio yesterday afternoon and could not be happier... now.

Let me start by saying that I have been drinking lipton blacktea for years not knowing anything else really. I was handed a cup of twinnings earl grey (bagged walmart purchased variety) at a friends house and decided that I wanted to check out the wonderful world of teas a little deeper.

I bought the black tea starter set with the ingenui-tea steeper(proper term?). I read the guide book cover to cover before beginning ear marking the brewing suggestions. If I have learned anything from my short stay on this site it is that you guys take an amazing amount of time to be accurate and precise when making tea. I read 1 cup boiling water to 1 tsb leaves.... so i break out the irish breakfast and a measuring cup and spoons. I steep for 5 minutes, taste, and realize that something has gone horribly wrong.... I reread the suggestions and quickly wing a second try using a table top tea spoon (flat not heaping) and as much water as it takes to fill the pot.... excellent. I also tried a cup of earl grey. I am hooked. both teas came out absolutely amazing. I cannot wait for my delivery of my tisanes samplers today.

I was expecting a little more detailed care instructions but I am sure its well documented on here.

I do have one question. the earl grey left my mouth feeling rather dry for about 30 minutes afterwards. Is this common or did I mess something up?

I am very happy with my purchase and plan on picking up another one for the office soon.

Thanks
Thomas

Feb 19th, '09, 09:05

by shardy53 » Feb 19th, '09, 09:05

Be sure that you do not steep the Darjeeling for 5 mins. Try 3 to 4 for that tea Also. do not use superheated overboiled water. If you do, then your tea will become bitter very quickly.

Also, the ammount of tea that you use will also depend on the consistancy of the tea leaves. Some are very small and compact like Irish Breakfast tea , and others are more (puffy?) like Yunnan Gold. In time you will learn the hard way, what to and not to do with each type of tea.

Now that I have bequeathed this tea wisdom upon you, I am sue everything is as clear as mud.

Steve

Feb 19th, '09, 09:11

by omegapd » Feb 19th, '09, 09:11

shardy53 wrote:
Now that I have bequeathed this tea wisdom upon you, I am sue everything is as clear as mud.
A boy named Sue? Seems like I heard that somewhere. :lol:

Sorry Steve, I just couldn't pass that up.

Eric

Feb 19th, '09, 09:37

by tjausti » Feb 19th, '09, 09:37

I can see that this art includes a lot of trial and error.

I do have one super noob question. I put the leaves in the steeper, poured 210 degree water in.... waited 5 minutes tasted and poured the tea in to the cup....

I feel like I should be doing more to steep it. agitating the water or something.

Is the process above correct. seems like there should be more to it than that. :P

Feb 19th, '09, 12:06

by silvermage2000 » Feb 19th, '09, 12:06

Yes Its a trial and error situation. Congrats on the tea. and I believe you are doing ok.
My name i's ashley I am a female and 21 years old.

Feb 19th, '09, 12:46
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Feb 19th, '09, 12:46

No need to stir or agitate. I never go over 3 minutes on the first steep, but if it tastes good to you, that's all that matters.

You should be able to resteep and get a second steep from most blacks. Add a couple minutes on the second round.
tjausti wrote: I do have one question. the earl grey left my mouth feeling rather dry for about 30 minutes afterwards. Is this common or did I mess something up?
Drink more tea. :wink:

Feb 19th, '09, 12:50

by tjausti » Feb 19th, '09, 12:50

I was very liberal with the leaves the second time around literally a flat tea spoon to a 80% full ingenuitea steeper @ 5 minutes. Ill try a little more leaves and less steeping time next go round.

Any comments on my experience with the earl grey in the top post?
I do have one question. the earl grey left my mouth feeling rather dry for about 30 minutes afterwards. Is this common or did I mess something up?

Feb 19th, '09, 15:43

by Dreamer » Feb 19th, '09, 15:43

tjausti,

You asked about your mouth feeling dry after drinking your tea, I had never noticed this with tea bags or with japanese greens, but I really noticed it just yesterday with my first ever brewing of Silver Needles (white). I was working on a rather large 2nd steep just before getting ready for bed. Later I noticed my mouth was so dry that it seemed like my lips were literally sticking to my teeth!

I noticed it today with Darjeeling that my tea buddy brewed up...brewed very strong and long, I kept cutting it with more water and it finally was something I could enjoy. I noticed that is dried out my mouth and before I commented to her, she commented about it to me. We just decided that it was because it was so strong.

I'm guessing there is tea terminology for this effect and someone will probably share that with us soon!

Happy sipping,
Dreame

Feb 19th, '09, 16:15

by Beidao » Feb 19th, '09, 16:15

It is called "dry mouthfeel" in my terminology and it will occur with some teas, can be because of the steeping, can be because of the tea. I've grown pretty used to it but I stil feel it is bad when it is because of the tea. I know some people like it though.

I guess you could have a little cooler water and shorter steep times, but just play around and I'm sure you will be a real snob in 3 months or so :wink:

Good luck! Feel free to ask about everything!
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Feb 19th, '09, 22:27

by tjausti » Feb 19th, '09, 22:27

I tried the Irish tea again with a good tea spoon full and 3 minutes steep time. It was about the same as less leaves with more steep time only it required less sugar to be good. I will not call it bitter but it definitely needed a little sugar.

I got my order of rooibos, wild strawberry, lemon grass and honey bush samplers today. I have not brewed any of them yet but I am excited to try them. I have not been daring enough to try the 4th black tea in the sampler set yet as it smells like a bouquet of flowers (cannot remember the name). also the free zodiac (cancer) sampler smells very flowery. not quite ready for that.

I have an appointment with an allergist in the coming weeks for a completely non tea related issue (I know I am allergic to shell fish, bees and raspberries, but I have recently had some reactions from random foods that should not contain shell fish or raspberries) I am going to ask about some of the herbal teas while I am there as I am a little apprehensive about ingesting some of these teas. Since they are doing a full blown blood test its worth having them note to test for things that might come up in the tea world while the insurance is footing the bill.

Im sure I will be fine but I just figured I might as well wait and see.... swelling of the throat (aniphylactic <Spelling?>) and other reactions are no fun... trust me....

speaking of this are there any teas (non teas as well (tisanes?)) that you need to be cautious of because of this? seems like plenty of people are allergic to normal run of the mill tea but what about tisanes? I know some claim to help relieve allergy issues. on the other hand I have found accounts of some causing asthma attacks and other issues.

Feb 20th, '09, 08:57

by CJluvsT » Feb 20th, '09, 08:57

I've noticed the dry mouth too, and for me it's really bothersome because I'm already on some meds that do that. I thought that tea had the same effect as a diuretic, (spelling?) so maybe that has something to do with it.

Feb 20th, '09, 10:52

by auggy » Feb 20th, '09, 10:52

tjausti wrote:speaking of this are there any teas (non teas as well (tisanes?)) that you need to be cautious of because of this? seems like plenty of people are allergic to normal run of the mill tea but what about tisanes? I know some claim to help relieve allergy issues. on the other hand I have found accounts of some causing asthma attacks and other issues.
Depending on the severity of your allergy, one thing you might want to watch out for cross-contamination if they use the same machines, etc to process all the teas. So your tea with no raspberries in it still causes a reaction because it was processed with something that had just been used for a raspberry tea.

Feb 20th, '09, 13:28

by tjausti » Feb 20th, '09, 13:28

Luckily raspberries only give me hives not the full blown breathing problems.

now shell fish is a whole other ball game. no shell fish teas out there right :D

Feb 20th, '09, 15:19

by auggy » Feb 20th, '09, 15:19

Fortunately I don't think you'd have to worry about getting shellfish in your tea. :)

Mar 1st, '09, 19:22

by tjausti » Mar 1st, '09, 19:22

Just an update.

I found out that the dry mouth issue can be a side effect of caffeine according to the allergist. apparently if you ingest too much caffeine at one time it can cause that. he is an avid coffee enthusiast and advised that this happens sometime to him as well. his suggestion was to allow the tea to steep for 30 seconds then remove it from the water and put it in some fresh water. apparently most of the caffeine is released in the first 30 seconds. He advised that this is what he has heard from other people with a caffeine allergy and has no idea how true it is.

I tried this and did not find much of a difference. I did find that if I allow the tea to steep for 3 minutes then resteep it with fresh water I do not get the dry mouth. I have read where the 30 second thing has been debunked but the second steep does not have the same effect. just thought I would throw it out there.

+ Post Reply