Thermometer (s) and Scale(s)

Let us know if you've found the perfect product for Adagio to sell.

Thermometer (s) and Scale(s)

Postby Vulture » Oct 25th, '08, 19:44

Hey,

So I am getting into more teas and I know its simple but it be nice to see a thermometer and scale on Adagio's. For starters like me, eyeballing is enough but it be great if they put those products on.

To go along with that they could have a 'Begginer Tea' Package like they have with the ingenuiTEA. But basically with the thermometer, scale, IngenuiTea, the book and tea samplers. Maybe other people on the forum can suggest the tea that goes with it. That way we have a good selection of 4 or 6 teas that would cover all main types of tea. Aka a Black, Oolong, Green, and White (and Pu and Herbal). Along with these we would put a small paper giving instructions on amount (grams), amount/temperature of water, and time of brewing for each of the teas.

I know this wouldn't be the nice 20 dollar offer they have now but its a nice 'gateway' service that I would have loved to get when I started. Something people here could point new people to as a great starting package.

Steve
Vulture

Postby Vulture » Oct 26th, '08, 02:41

If Adagio decides to make their own scale they can call it GraviTEA :twisted:
Vulture

Postby Trioxin » Oct 26th, '08, 03:38

Vulture wrote:If Adagio decides to make their own scale they can call it GraviTEA :twisted:

Thats pretty good.
Trioxin

Postby Drax » Oct 26th, '08, 09:13

Whoops... they already have a GraviTEA!

http://www.adagio.com/teaware/index.htm ... ec6cd3d48b

Looks like maybe a gravity-filtered tea preparation pitcher?

I picked up a kitchen scale at Target a few months ago (I looked at their website and couldn't find the exact model I got, but it's a square, flat looking thing). It measures out to the tenths of an ounce, or to the nearest gram. I sort of wish it were able to go to a tenth of a gram, but it also goes up to around 11 lbs, so it's also great for every day food stuff. I think it was $30?

Just a reference... :D
Drax

Postby Vulture » Oct 26th, '08, 10:07

Oh I have seen plenty and order scales that go down to .1 gram but they look more like either cheap pocket scales (like some kind of drug dealer would use) or over 30 buck one with super gadgets and lights.

Would love just a simple 10-20 dollar scale that does .1 gram measurement. Preferably water proof and has a tray or small bowl for the tea leaves.

I ordered a simple one for now and it should do the job. My main idea was to get Adagio to start carrying a fuller assortment of tea tools.

And drat about the name, forgot they had it already.
Vulture

Postby gingkoseto » Oct 26th, '08, 12:49

For temperature, I think it can be partially controlled by getting really familiar with your stove and kettle. My stove is an electric one (not as good as gas stove!), but heat up pretty fast for an electric one. For different green teas, after boiling the water, I would let my kettle sit on the stove for different lengths of time (a few to several minutes) to let the water cool down a bit. For amount of tea, I just estimate it based on volume or bottom area of my tea ware. So in my tea making, no high-tech gears involved at all :D
gingkoseto
Vendor Member

Postby Vulture » Oct 26th, '08, 21:55

gingko wrote:So in my tea making, no high-tech gears involved at all :D

Your asking a networking engineer/gamer to not go high-tech. :wink:
Vulture

Postby caligatia » Oct 26th, '08, 22:44

Vulture wrote:Your asking a networking engineer/gamer to not go high-tech. :wink:

Gadgets make life so much more fun, yes? I've got a new variable-temp electric kettle that I love to play with. Haven't gotten a scale yet, though. A teaspoon is doing just fine for right now. :)

(I actually got part of the way into a networking degree before I messed up my back last year. It's hard to haul machines around when you're not allowed to lift more than 15 pounds. Sniff.)
caligatia

Postby Vulture » Oct 27th, '08, 02:51

caligatia wrote:(I actually got part of the way into a networking degree before I messed up my back last year. It's hard to haul machines around when you're not allowed to lift more than 15 pounds. Sniff.)

That would be more implementing design. At the moment I sit in an office and wait for something to break. Nice getting paid to chat on these forums. Don't know where you are in life but the design and troubleshooting part doesn't usually involve moving large objects. Just a lot of digital paperwork.

I am thinking of getting the same kettle from adagio's so I can move my tea drinking stuff to my bedroom. Clear some space out of our tiny kitchen and give me some safe space to keep pots.
Vulture

Postby tjausti » Mar 2nd, '09, 10:41

Vulture wrote:

I agree, I am a Systems Engineer/Administrator. I am finding it hard not to make a science out of an art :D

PS it does get boring waiting for stuff to break, Luckily I have lots of sites to manage so there is always something broken :D

lol
tjausti

Postby Space Samurai » Mar 2nd, '09, 16:08

tjausti wrote: I am finding it hard not to make a science out of an art.

I think art and precision can certainly go together. Tea doesn't have to be bifurcated into 'art' and 'science.' It seems that various folks here often have the idea that if you're not brewing tea by the seat of your pants, using The Force, then you're not in touch with the artsy-zen, oneness-with-all-thatness. I just don't think that has to be true.
Space Samurai

Postby hooksie » Mar 2nd, '09, 16:56

tjausti wrote:
Vulture wrote:

I agree, I am a Systems Engineer/Administrator. I am finding it hard not to make a science out of an art :D

PS it does get boring waiting for stuff to break, Luckily I have lots of sites to manage so there is always something broken :D

lol

Tea drinking administrators unite.
hooksie

Postby tjausti » Mar 4th, '09, 08:50

While I agree that precision plays a big role, the art comes in to play due to the fact that every batch is different, the way each batch is prepared is slightly different. and knowing what the conditions of the dry leaves are before you start greatly effect the preparation. so you can be as accurate as you want but if this batch is different from your last one in anyway all your precision just went out the window.... that is where the art comes in. its like a painter trying to paint with a slightly different canvas each time. to get the same results he will need to adjust his process and technique.
tjausti

Postby tsverrir » Mar 4th, '09, 09:14

tjausti. /dev/avatar, good one :wink:
tsverrir

Postby tjausti » Mar 4th, '09, 10:06

I also own /DEV/MUG :D

http://www.zazzle.com/linux_dev_mug-168552627579004874

Now that i think about it that really needs to be lowercase.

and there is also my favorite christmas mug:

cat all.children | grep nice

http://www.zazzle.com/santa_grep_mug-168171527192015179
tjausti

Next

Instant Messenger

Permissions