Sakura Sencha?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Mar 3rd, '09, 19:46

by pasttimes » Mar 3rd, '09, 19:46

kymidwife wrote:I've lost count of the number of infusions on this tea... tonight I am still brewing the same leaves from last night, and the flavor is still fabulous. Has to be at least 5 or 6 infusions so far. Mmmm.
Oh, that's good to know. I'll have to start my next batch when I have a little more time to get the most out of it.

Mar 3rd, '09, 19:49

by Samovar » Mar 3rd, '09, 19:49

I love drinking Sakura Sencha. It has such a wonderful armoa and the taste is delicate. I should be receiving my order from Dens in a few days.

Samovar

Mar 3rd, '09, 19:55

by cherylopal » Mar 3rd, '09, 19:55

kymidwife wrote:I've lost count of the number of infusions on this tea... tonight I am still brewing the same leaves from last night, and the flavor is still fabulous. Has to be at least 5 or 6 infusions so far. Mmmm.

Sarah
Wow= how long can you keep leaves?? Are you estimating brewing time on how wet/dry the leaves look for your second and third and... infusions? What do you do with them overnight? Just leave them on the counter??

I loved this tea this am but had to rush off to work and felt very very guilty about only one infusion- never thought to keep the leaves til I got home from work...

Thanks,
Cheryl :)
cheryl :)

Mar 3rd, '09, 21:36

by kymidwife » Mar 3rd, '09, 21:36

Some refrigerate their leaves but I am a slacker and just leave them out on the counter... they rarely go more than 8 or 10 hours before being brewed again, and I've never had a problem with doing this.

I just gradually increase the length of time of the infusion and also the water temp... my last was 190 degrees for about 3 minutes. I'll probably not go much hotter than that because I fear the bitterness.

Funny thing is.. the further I take this Sakura, the more it tastes like a green oolong... and less like sencha... but in a pleasant way. Interesting.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Mar 4th, '09, 05:36

by cherylopal » Mar 4th, '09, 05:36

kymidwife wrote:Some refrigerate their leaves but I am a slacker and just leave them out on the counter... they rarely go more than 8 or 10 hours before being brewed again, and I've never had a problem with doing this.

I just gradually increase the length of time of the infusion and also the water temp... my last was 190 degrees for about 3 minutes. I'll probably not go much hotter than that because I fear the bitterness.

Funny thing is.. the further I take this Sakura, the more it tastes like a green oolong... and less like sencha... but in a pleasant way. Interesting.

Sarah
Thanks Sarah :)
cheryl :)

Mar 4th, '09, 12:18

by Nexius8510 » Mar 4th, '09, 12:18

kymidwife wrote:
Very interesting indeed! Thanks for the speculation! I'll have to take note of that next time! :)

Mar 5th, '09, 18:23

by entropyembrace » Mar 5th, '09, 18:23

Does Den's take paypal? My partner is really interested in the sakura sencha but neither of us has a credit card and I can't find on their site what payment methods are accepted... :?

Mar 5th, '09, 22:26

by Ryoruki » Mar 5th, '09, 22:26

on their faq's page it says they only take credit card but!!!! you can pay with personal checks according to their paper order forms.

i see nothing about paypal and don't remember seeing anything about it but you could always call them or email them and ask if no one else here has a definite answer?
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis

Mar 5th, '09, 22:32

by Nexius8510 » Mar 5th, '09, 22:32

I just brewed my first pot of the Sakura Sencha, and I gotta say it's pretty good. Honestly when the site said "flavored" sencha, I was expecting a huge amount of the cherry flavor. But it was quite the opposite. Which was actually pretty nice. The only thing I'm wondering though is what you've all been using as leaf volume, temp, and steep time for your initial and subsequent steeps! I didn't realize Den's said to do 45 seconds at 180 degrees. I did 45 seconds at 160 and it was too weak. But then I did about 50 seconds at 180 for a second steep and it was a tad bit strong and a tad bit bitter. Not major, but definitely noticeable! Any info is greatly appreciated :)

Mar 5th, '09, 22:59
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 5th, '09, 22:59

First steep longer and hotter, 180ish for less than a minute.

2nd steep shorter, 20-30 seconds.

This is meant to be a pretty casual and easy brewer, so try not to over think it, use around 1-2 teaspoons per 6 ounces, experiment a bit.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Mar 5th, '09, 23:16

by Nexius8510 » Mar 5th, '09, 23:16

Thanks Chip I'll give it a try :)

Mar 9th, '09, 23:51

by geeber1 » Mar 9th, '09, 23:51

Okay, I just got my Den's novice green tea set with the cute little kyusu included and it came with a sample of the Sakura Sencha.

I have to agree that this is an awesome tea! I think I was short a bit on leaf (2.7 g to 8 oz. water) because it wasn't strong on the cherry flavor as described in this thread. It was still tasty but a bit weak on the second steep so I am going to try again tomorrow with some more leaf.

The kyusu is so cute, I can see why people collect them. Great ... another tea "thing" to get hooked on! :lol:

Mar 24th, '09, 21:04

by Samovar » Mar 24th, '09, 21:04

I usually don't steep sencha according to the instructions. I steep it at 180 degees for 2 minutes.

Still tastes wonderful!

Mar 26th, '09, 18:38

by iannon » Mar 26th, '09, 18:38

geeber1 wrote:Okay, I just got my Den's novice green tea set with the cute little kyusu included and it came with a sample of the Sakura Sencha.

I have to agree that this is an awesome tea! I think I was short a bit on leaf (2.7 g to 8 oz. water) because it wasn't strong on the cherry flavor as described in this thread. It was still tasty but a bit weak on the second steep so I am going to try again tomorrow with some more leaf.

The kyusu is so cute, I can see why people collect them. Great ... another tea "thing" to get hooked on! :lol:
I just had one of the Novice kits sent to my house addressed to my 7 year old daughter. She was thrilled by the little kyusu that had a screen. her real starter pot didnt and had big holes which didnt lend itself well to her loose leaf tea blend i created for her on Adagio. She may have to fight me for the sample of Sakura Sencha tho.... :twisted:

Mar 28th, '09, 15:13

by ErikaM » Mar 28th, '09, 15:13

I ordered a 2 oz sampler on a whim, and liked it so much I ordered more. It's just perfect for spring.

+ Post Reply