Need rec for earthy, woody black tea!

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

May 6th, '06, 00:14

Need rec for earthy, woody black tea!

by joseybird » May 6th, '06, 00:14

Hello all! =D I had a tea at a tearoom once, and it was the most gorgeous thing I had ever tasted--very slightly smokey, earthy, and woody. I was wondering if anyone can rec a high-quality tea with these characteristics? thanks!

May 6th, '06, 00:27

by MarshalN » May 6th, '06, 00:27

Sounds like a (potentially) cooked puerh to me....

May 6th, '06, 01:37
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 6th, '06, 01:37

Hi josybird
...or maybe a China Keemun...there are pretty many of them out there...I have a few that I would describe as you have.
But pu-erh is definately the more earthy of the two. Was the earthiness very prevalent?
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 6th, '06, 01:44

by joseybird » May 6th, '06, 01:44

Oh dear...I don't remember :oops:

What's a good place that sells puerh, btw? So I can try it?

May 6th, '06, 15:30

by Warden Andy » May 6th, '06, 15:30

For cooked puerh, just get it from Adagio. I've tried a few different cooked puerhs, and so far Adagios is the best.

Also, try gunpowder green tea. I'm not sure about woody, but it's earthy with a bit of a smokey flavor.
Last edited by Warden Andy on Jul 3rd, '06, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.

May 6th, '06, 17:27

by Chip » May 6th, '06, 17:27

joseybird, have you checked out the section on pu-erhs. A lot of valuable info there, check it out.

http://www.teachat.com/viewforum.php?f=20

I am just venturing into the complcated area of pu-erh, so I will let others direct you. Good ones are very enjoyable and usually offer up 5-8 infusions...in my brief experience. FYI, check out the IM section, very often live discussion on pu-erh ensues. The 2 people that I find most helpful on the subject are there a lot, marshal and phyll. I ask them ?'s all the time on the sujsct and they are always happy to offer advice.

May 6th, '06, 18:22

by joseybird » May 6th, '06, 18:22

Yay! Thanks all =) I will be adding a sampler to my order ^_^

May 16th, '06, 03:08

Re: Need rec for earthy, woody black tea!

by Phyll » May 16th, '06, 03:08

joseybird wrote:Hello all! =D I had a tea at a tearoom once, and it was the most gorgeous thing I had ever tasted--very slightly smokey, earthy, and woody. I was wondering if anyone can rec a high-quality tea with these characteristics? thanks!
It does sound like a cooked pu-erh, but as chip said, keemun (Qimen red) can also be a possibility. There are several sources for reliable cooked pu-erh out there, and Adagio is a good place to start. Hope you'll like the sampler, and let us know your thoughts on it in the "Pu-Erh" section!

May 16th, '06, 11:04

by richf7 » May 16th, '06, 11:04

Just a thought, but it could be Lapsang Souching. Very smokey. Hope you find what you are looking for~
"Teaism is a cult founded on the adoration of the beautiful among the sordid facts of everyday existence."- K. Okakura

May 16th, '06, 11:33

by joseybird » May 16th, '06, 11:33

After trying a few different things, I realized that the tea I drank was a bit more woody than smokey or earthy...I have a sample of adagio's pu-erh that I have yet to brew, but it smells earthier than the tea I drank. Hmm....

May 16th, '06, 11:40

by Phyll » May 16th, '06, 11:40

joseybird wrote:After trying a few different things, I realized that the tea I drank was a bit more woody than smokey or earthy...I have a sample of adagio's pu-erh that I have yet to brew, but it smells earthier than the tea I drank. Hmm....
While it's interesting to try everything out to find that one tea you liked so much, maybe it's just easier to just call or go to the tea room that you visited and ask?

May 16th, '06, 11:53

by Chip » May 16th, '06, 11:53

Hey Josey,

Yeah, that is why I asked about the earthiness, because pu-erh is quite earthy.

Then China Keemun might be a good tea to try. The only problem is they are so diverse that you are not likely to find exactly what you are looking for...there are so many grades, etc. I remember a Keemun I had from one vendor 6 years ago..it was amazing...it was like the perfect black for me. In fact that year was the perfect year for keemuns for me as I ordered every single Keemun they had and loved them all.

Well, I have never been able to duplicate that tea from that vendor or any other for that matter and believe me I tried extremely hard to locate that elusive flavor and aroma...mmm.

So, I simply moved on after years of trying. I hope you fair better than I did.

One other thought is that it could also be a darker oolong...

May 16th, '06, 12:42

by MarshalN » May 16th, '06, 12:42

Without more details, it's really hard to say what it is. Those words describe all sorts of teas....

+ Post Reply