Lapsang Souchong Review

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Do you like Lapsang Souchong?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 36

Feb 10th, '09, 17:27

by silvermage2000 » Feb 10th, '09, 17:27

I have not tried I't.
My name i's ashley I am a female and 21 years old.

Feb 10th, '09, 23:01

by brad4419 » Feb 10th, '09, 23:01

gingko wrote:I don't really know. What I had before, all had fairly strong smokey taste. The smoked kind, I almost like it, but I feel almost as guilty as smoking (even though I never smoke), especially the smokey flavor is from real pine smoke, which makes me feel drinking this tea almost equals smoking :P If I get a chance, I would like to try some non-smoked souchong.

Even some dark roasted dan cong and some other dark oolongs, I like them in one way, but feel if I were a smoker, I might have liked them even more. :P
Don't worry about the smoke because your not really inhailing the actual smoke from the burning wood, its just the smokes flavoring of the leaves coming out in the infused tea.

The only thing to feel guilty about is when you run out of lapsang souchong :D

Feb 10th, '09, 23:52
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Feb 10th, '09, 23:52

stevewiess88 wrote:As you wouldn't eat BBQ everyday, lapsang souchong shouldn't be an every day tea in my opinion, but it can be enjoyed every once in a while.
I feel the same, somewhat like it, as long as not having it too often.
brad4419 wrote:Don't worry about the smoke because your not really inhailing the actual smoke from the burning wood, its just the smokes flavoring of the leaves coming out in the infused tea.

The only thing to feel guilty about is when you run out of lapsang souchong
I am not that much worried about health effect. But I somewhat worry that for tea, once I go to the darker and heavier flavor side, there is no way back :D I definitely drink less and less green tea over years, and sometimes even make decisions to "retreat" to green tea for a few days. Lapsang souchong is definitely one of a kind, and somewhat intimidates me :P But I haven't got any expensive stuff of lapsang souchong yet, so there is still way to go :D
By sitting in peace and doing nothing,
You make your one day worth two days.

Feb 11th, '09, 03:58

by Tea Noob » Feb 11th, '09, 03:58

I went yes. It was actually the first loose tea I tried. It was sold as Smokey Black at a local tea shop and I ordered it up because it was a black tea. Boy was it. I haven't had it since but that is probably because I have tried about 30-40 teas in the few months since.

I agree that inhaling smoke and ingesting a smoke flavored item are totally different things. However, sometimes you can ingest certain things that give you the same effect as smoking them. :wink: So I hear...

Feb 11th, '09, 11:57
Scrolling: fixed

:Unsure:

by Intuit » Feb 11th, '09, 11:57

Not sure if I had the "real deal" years ago when I first tried it. Whatever I had, the flavor was a real turnoff. However, I'm also convinced that one try of a type tea isn't sufficient to know if you're going to like it or not.

Part of the problem is accustomizing your palate to a new flavor, I guess. I've also wondered if flavor preferences shift over the seasons.

Teas sampled from two other notably smoky types- Keemun and a standard blend, Russian Caravan, have varied *enormously* in character, quality and preference. Revisiting these teas when purchased from different vendors was a wakeup call because I found myself liking them again after having several batches of off-putting teas -maybe due to use of different smoking sources/processes/tea quality???

Feb 11th, '09, 20:03

by shardy53 » Feb 11th, '09, 20:03

I received my samples of Lapsang Souchong and a milder Smokey Russian Caravan today. The aroma of smoke filled the air the second i opened the samples. I started with the milder Russian Caravan and made a cupfull. I will not make a descision about this tea untill I have tried it a few times and experiment with it a bit. I love smoked salmon and hickery BBQ so I should like this tea. It certaintly is not for the faint of heart though.

Steve

Feb 14th, '09, 21:47

by rspear » Feb 14th, '09, 21:47

It is actually one of my favorite teas. I do like Russian Caravan a lot and have had some blends containing lapsang as well. I was kind of apprehensive when I first tried it because the smell was so smokey but I really do enjoy it. I like the smokey taste and really enjoy it with a little mandarin or apricot tea added. My husband really likes it too and so far I haven't been able to get him into tea yet. He is still a die hard coffee drinker but he will drink lapsang. So that is a start...
If tea is an addiction then I need a 12 step program...

Feb 17th, '09, 21:54

by lydia » Feb 17th, '09, 21:54

I prefer the light pleasant smoky taste in Keemum. Lapsang is too strong for me.

Mar 5th, '09, 05:09

by Eugene » Mar 5th, '09, 05:09

I love the smokey aroma and earthy taste of Lapsang Souchong and its my all time favorite.

Mar 5th, '09, 09:12
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Mar 5th, '09, 09:12

The Seven Cups Bohea is very good, very light smokiness and
a mild flavor.

Mar 5th, '09, 10:30
Scrolling: scrolling

by silverneedles » Mar 5th, '09, 10:30

i love bbq, smoked salmon, smoked meat etc,
but drinking lapsang was gross

Mar 5th, '09, 16:22

by entropyembrace » Mar 5th, '09, 16:22

I love Lapsang Souchong! though there are some cheap imitations out there that aren't enjoyable...smoking low quality leaves does not make a good Lapsang...

The best has always been those that are 100% from the Wu Yi region, so that's what I look for when I buy, also the leaves should look quite a bit like a good quality Keemun. The aroma for me is warm and comforting and the taste is sweet with strong notes of dried fruit along with the smoked flavour.

Also this is a good tea to age! I have small quantities of both 2005 and 2007 Lapsang Souchong from Wu Yi. At nearly two years old the smoke aroma is begining to fade and I find there is a better balance between the smoke and dried fruit notes in the taste. At nearly 4 years old the dried fruit is the dominant flavour and the smoke aroma and taste has faded to a strong hint like you would expect from a charcoal roasted tea and it's begining to take on some dry stored sheng pu-erh characteristics with hints of leather and chocolate and a silky smooth mouthfeel from the very thick tea liquor. :D

This year I plan to buy a large quantity of fresh Lapsang Souchong along with some airtight jars in which to age some myself. :D

+ Post Reply