Teaware for green tea what you use..

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

May 10th, '06, 17:41

Teaware for green tea what you use..

by acehigh » May 10th, '06, 17:41

These are the two i am currently using.

May 10th, '06, 18:16
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 10th, '06, 18:16

Hey ace...I love my Japanese Tokoname kyuusu so much that I am looking for another one or two...yours are really different...where did you get them???
I use mine constantly...and I have another one with a broken lid...just can't throw it away. I superglued the lid and it looks pretty good, but I can't bring myself to use it because of the glue.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 10th, '06, 20:07

by Warden Andy » May 10th, '06, 20:07

I mostly use a gaiwan. I also use a Japanese teapot sometimes for convenience.
Super elite tea facist....

May 11th, '06, 00:34

by kodama » May 11th, '06, 00:34

I use a modern Japanese straight-handled porcelain basket teapot without the basket.

Your first tall one is quite beutiful.

May 11th, '06, 00:40

by Chip » May 11th, '06, 00:40

kodama, simular to the general style of Ace's?
Is it porcelain...ceramic or clay?
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 11th, '06, 02:54

by acehigh » May 11th, '06, 02:54

chip wrote:Hey ace...I love my Japanese Tokoname kyuusu so much that I am looking for another one or two...yours are really different...where did you get them???
I use mine constantly...and I have another one with a broken lid...just can't throw it away. I superglued the lid and it looks pretty good, but I can't bring myself to use it because of the glue.

I brought one in San Fran in that japan center. (The green oribie one) the other one i brought in nyc... where are good places to buy them.

does anybody know where you can buy them? I want high quality ones.

May 11th, '06, 04:43

by Phyll » May 11th, '06, 04:43

chip wrote:I superglued the lid and it looks pretty good, but I can't bring myself to use it because of the glue.
Chip, why can't you use it because of the glue? The glue should continue to stick, and superglue is not toxic, AFAIK.

Acehigh, very nice looking teapots. I really like the look of the brownish one. Do you use loose leaves with these pots or only powdered tea? I use mainly gaiwans for my green teas.

May 11th, '06, 11:05

by rabbit » May 11th, '06, 11:05

I use my gaiwan when most of the time also, but sometimes I use my tetsubin when I'm preparing for a few people.
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

May 11th, '06, 20:51

by acehigh » May 11th, '06, 20:51

Phyll wrote:
chip wrote:I superglued the lid and it looks pretty good, but I can't bring myself to use it because of the glue.
Chip, why can't you use it because of the glue? The glue should continue to stick, and superglue is not toxic, AFAIK.

Acehigh, very nice looking teapots. I really like the look of the brownish one. Do you use loose leaves with these pots or only powdered tea? I use mainly gaiwans for my green teas.

Hope this answer it.. Loose tea of course.. Both have a built in filter so the leaves dont u into your cup.

Jun 21st, '06, 08:16

by Proinsias » Jun 21st, '06, 08:16

I've been using a small pyrex jug and decanting into another jug (the yellow one) with a strainer, occasionally I brew a few leaves in a gaiwan and drink directly from the gaiwan. I use water around the 70 degrees mark and try and judge the temp from the rate the steam rises.

I read about a taiwanese teamaster who recommends brewing good quality green tea in a porcelain gaiwan with boiling water. I was almost afraid to try this at first but after sacrificing some level 1 Liu An Gua Pian to boiling water and almost zero brewing time I have to say it didn't ruin the tea although it may require a little more practice. http://teamasters.blogspot.com/...

Is anyone else brave/stupid enough to brew green tea with boiling water and is there likley to be any difference in taste between the jug and the gaiwan. The site mentions the higher temp using in making a gaiwan as opposed to glass as proof of better ability to handle hot water, I'm suspicious regarding green tea.

Nice Japanese teapots. I may have to invest in one - the built in strainer sounds handy. I have been adding a little dried pepermint to my gemai cha in the morning and a little japanese teapot would be a nice change from a cafetiere.

Jun 27th, '06, 06:43

Re: Teaware for green tea what you use..

by JamesBeach » Jun 27th, '06, 06:43

acehigh wrote:These are the two i am currently using.

Hmm, didn't know you could brew tea in a bong.

Jun 27th, '06, 08:58

Re: Teaware for green tea what you use..

by klemptor » Jun 27th, '06, 08:58

JamesBeach wrote:Hmm, didn't know you could brew tea in a bong.
LOL
I came in from the wilderness, a creature void of form.

Jul 3rd, '06, 17:36

by javyn » Jul 3rd, '06, 17:36

John

+ Post Reply