Will you temporarily stop purchasing Japanese Greens?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Will you temporary stop purchasing Japanese Greens?

Yes (wait till next year harvest just to be safe than sorry)
19%
No (buy like usual)
76%
No (buy lesser)
5%

Total votes: 103

Mar 31st, '11, 11:30
Vendor Member

Re: Will you temporarily stop purchasing Japanese Greens?

by Xell » Mar 31st, '11, 11:30

Do you now main reason of those problems with radioactive iodine in Chernobyl? Government was really late with non-radioactive iodine treatment, they could avoid most of those problem simply by giving people iodine pills right after incident appeared. People got it directly from air, because a lot of those particles were shot in air. Nothing like this happened at Fukushima power plant. But even in that horrible accident, without any proper safety measures only ~0.5% people from your article got cancer. And second, even without pills it won't affect japanese that much, since their food is already really rich in iodine.

Fukushima is NOT Chernobyl, not even close!

Please stop exaggerating already serious problem and create unnecessary panic, i'm getting sick of this pressure already. My relatives already scared a lot from all those news they watch and ask all the time how i am and why we still stay in Japan. Just wait and let pro's do their work, now they are working and not politicians.

p.s.
Sorry, but can't simply ignore this.

Mar 31st, '11, 11:34
Vendor Member

by Xell » Mar 31st, '11, 11:34

olivierco wrote:
Xell wrote: There is lack of information though, but who could blame them in current situation when they are way to busy, to handle all those problems at nuclear power plant?
I don't agree with you. Tepco officials are known to have hidden many facts in previous years. Moreover they are paid huge amounts of money (their president earns about 4,000,000$ per year if not more) precisely because their job is to take adequate decisions and assume responsibility for their decisions.
They weren't way too busy to cover themselves anyway. They have attempted to minimize the problem, refused international aid, claimed for days that the next 48 hours would be crucial. They were unable to give correct figures for radiation levels.
Tepco has quite little control over flow of information now, this problem is way too huge to hide major problems. And i understand well, that their decisions decided by money spent. Especially in first days, where they still hoped that everything will be fine.

Mar 31st, '11, 11:37

by lkj23 » Mar 31st, '11, 11:37

iodine is in water and water evaporates, I´m not exagerating, I´m giving real information...

I woulk like that you could see tv programs here with scientist talking about it

Mar 31st, '11, 11:50
Vendor Member

by Xell » Mar 31st, '11, 11:50

lkj23 wrote:iodine is in water and water evaporates, I´m not exagerating, I´m giving real information...

I woulk like that you would see tv programs here with scientist talking about it
I'm reading russian nuclear physicist forum, this is more than enough for me. Opinion of people with real experience and no media involved.

Mar 31st, '11, 12:03
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 31st, '11, 12:03

... *fumbles through Iodine pills looking for chill pills* ...
Ah, found them. :mrgreen:

Obviously this topic has the potential to be emotionally charged and offering a wide disparity of opinions, just as there is a wide disparity of information from varying sources.

I think this is an important topic to have on the forum, but please remember to be civil versus snarky, take a chill pill when needed with a cuppa tea!

Thanks,
Chip
Your friendly (usually) Moderator :mrgreen:

Mar 31st, '11, 12:38
Vendor Member

by Kevangogh » Mar 31st, '11, 12:38

lkj23 wrote:iodine is in water and water evaporates, I´m not exagerating, I´m giving real information...

I woulk like that you could see tv programs here with scientist talking about it
So why are you still seeking out Japanese green tea then? It seems you had your mind made up several pages ago, one post after the next trying to convince everyone of the danger, then at the same time searching around for "safe" green tea, even though the green tea fields are nowhere near Fukushima.

Readings are taken all over Japan, there hasn't been any radioactivity anywhere near the tea fields of Japan (I suggest you look at a map of Japan to see where they are in relation to the Fukashima Daiichi nuclear plant - it's far.) I check the hourly measurement of radiation of the town I left which is located 37km from the plant in question, and it averages 1 microsevert an hour. That's 1/100th of a chest x-ray.

Mar 31st, '11, 15:05

by lkj23 » Mar 31st, '11, 15:05

It´s easy, I would like to buy but I don´t going to put my health in risk, and information is free.

And please read my post, I haven´t writne nothing about if is dangerous or not buy tea.... I´m only disputed the information given by Japon´s goverments...
Last edited by lkj23 on Mar 31st, '11, 15:16, edited 2 times in total.

Mar 31st, '11, 15:15

by Chip » Mar 31st, '11, 15:15

lkj23 wrote:It´s easy, I would like to buy but I don´t going to put my health in risk, and information is free.
Unfortunately, so is misinformation. In abundance.

Just saying.

I have not heard one factual account or otherwise about tea or tea packages being contaminated.

Mar 31st, '11, 15:21

by lkj23 » Mar 31st, '11, 15:21

Chip wrote:Unfortunately, so is misinformation. In abundance.

Just saying.

I have not heard one factual account or otherwise about tea or tea packages being contaminated.
Yes, I think the same. I only say that I don´t going to buy Japanese tea...I haven´t say is radioactive...

Mar 31st, '11, 15:29

by Chip » Mar 31st, '11, 15:29

lkj23 wrote:

Just saying.

Yes, I think the same. I only say that I don´t going to buy Japanese tea...I haven´t say is radioactive...
I actually have not said that you have. :mrgreen: I was simply making 2 statements that I believe are factual at this writing.

Mar 31st, '11, 15:36

by lkj23 » Mar 31st, '11, 15:36

Chip wrote: I actually have not said that you have. :mrgreen: I was simply making 2 statements that I believe are factual at this writing.
yes, yes, I know, but I wanted to stress my last post.

Greetings

Mar 31st, '11, 15:42

by AdamMY » Mar 31st, '11, 15:42

lkj23 wrote:

Just saying.

To give you a bit of an idea, this geographically would be similar to if a Nuclear Facility in Southern Spain close to the Mediterranean were to have issues, but all of a sudden the whole world was asking if Wines from Rioja were safe to drink.

While yes there are elevated levels of radiation and radioactive substances in places, the facility in Japan had many things going for it that Chernobyl did not have in terms of safety measures, some of the most important of which were implemented completely from the start and therefore impossible to fail, such as not using graphite in the reactor core, which is actually what caused some of the most long term damage in the Chernobyl incident. (When it over heated and the reactor core started melting, the graphite combusted launching large amounts of radioactive material into the air). The fact that the Daiichi plant did not do that meant, that while some radioactive material was released into the atmosphere it is in orders of magnitude less than what happened in Chernobyl.

It is in my understanding for a large part of Japan even though radiation levels are elevated they still do not compare to living in Denver, Colorado for the same length of time, and I have yet to hear of any known damage caused from items coming out of the known elevated radioactive area's in the Rocky mountain region. Yes ingesting radioactive material is bad, but the Human body is a wonderful thing, it has methods to deal with most things within certain quantities, and for the most part most of those quantities are well known for materials humans ever come in contact with, and for the most part any elevated levels of radiation measured are still well below levels that are considered acceptable which are themselves usually well below levels that are known to be harmful.

Mar 31st, '11, 18:08

by a.serrao » Mar 31st, '11, 18:08

こんにちは,
it's not the fact that tea can be contaminated (more on this later) but what worries me is the reaction various EU countries are taking to counteract the possibility of it.
In Italy the situation is still unclear somewhat. I've spoken yesterday with people at the point of entry USMAF at Milan Linate (air shipping) and they politely said to me that they are receiving directions on a daily basis from the Italian Public Health Ministry. So the thing is very dynamic and still confused.
They don't even know where the japanese tea is cultivated so they are ignorant about it and this ignorance worries me.
Because it's practically sure that if I ever order tea it won't come with some sort of certificate that states that it was packaged before March 11th.
This way the envelope is blocked in customs, where they open the package and take a sample to be tested for radiation. Obviously this spoils my tea, freshness gone.
I just don't want to go throught all that.
So I wait until things will be clearer.
It's not that I fear that tea is contaminated.
IT SIMPLY CAN'T BE.
Alpha particles are blocked by a sheet of paper, beta particles are blocked even by a few millimiters of alluminium. All japanese tea packages are alluminium foil.
Only gamma rays are really dangerous but they are nonetheless used to sterilize food stuff from decay-causing bacteria.
This applies only to packaged stuff.

The tea plant is another story, in that it can bioaccumulate radionuclides by way of roots, water, soil and air.
But this applies only to 2011 harvest. Will see what will happen then.

Mar 31st, '11, 18:51

by entropyembrace » Mar 31st, '11, 18:51

Gamma rays are a form of light outside the visible spectrum, and thus travel at the speed of light, they won´t be sitting around inside your package of tea :roll:

Mar 31st, '11, 19:08

by a.serrao » Mar 31st, '11, 19:08

entropyembrace wrote:Gamma rays are a form of light outside the visible spectrum, and thus travel at the speed of light, they won´t be sitting around inside your package of tea :roll:
Infact, gamma rays are dangerous in the sense that if you are directly exposed to them you run risks...
Obviously they don't "contaminate" what's inside the package.