Aug 1st, '12, 11:36

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by needaTEAcher » Aug 1st, '12, 11:36

Tim, that is absolutely stunning. I love it. I want it. Can I have it? :mrgreen:

Any details, such as who made it or when?

Aug 1st, '12, 12:13
Vendor Member

by TIM » Aug 1st, '12, 12:13

needaTEAcher wrote:Tim, that is absolutely stunning. I love it. I want it. Can I have it? :mrgreen:

Any details, such as who made it or when?
Thanks Needa. No details, since its Toki's :lol: But its nothing important.

Aug 1st, '12, 15:37

by TokyoB » Aug 1st, '12, 15:37

needaTEAcher wrote:Thanks for the links. I can never find these good ones on my own. I end up sifting through stubs and unrelated threads all day!

I am as confused as ever with the conversions between Korean and Chinese clay categories. Seems like there are more minute categories in Chinese distinctions, but less larger, looser categories than the Korean system.

I think I have been wrong to group Hong Qing Shuini with Hongni (they have a few layers of Hongni, so I thought it fit in), but rather should group it with Qing Shui Ni. Thanks for the help!

Anyone heard of something called Juni (rough transliteration from Korean). It looks and feels like Hongni to me, but they maintain the distinciton. Not Zhuni (they have that category too!).
You need help from chrl42. He is a clay expert and he is Korean.

Aug 1st, '12, 16:21

by teaisme » Aug 1st, '12, 16:21

TIM wrote:Image
Toki's Private teapot. For the lion hunter from Rhodesian :wink:
You have a ridgeback? my fav breed along with Alaskan Malamute

nice shiny pot btw :mrgreen:

Aug 2nd, '12, 00:34

by ImmortaliTEA » Aug 2nd, '12, 00:34

Clay: Hong Ni. Medium Fired.
Size: 50 ml
Age/Year: 1990's
Walls: Med-Thick for the proportion.
Pour: +/- 6 sec. No drips. Excellent (deep) lid fit.
Source: Friend in Malaysia.
Pairing: Anything & Everything. Still testing just acquired.
Info: I have been testing this perfect personal sized Hong Ni pot with the various aged oolongs I have recently acquired from RB and it makes some of the best aged Baozhong (1982 never re-roasted) I have ever tasted. Now I am beginning to understand why people on this forum often say that Hong Ni is a great team player or all around clay. When fired the way this one is, the porosity is actually quite nice and the rounding of off putting flavors and nuances is not subtle by a long shot. The great thing is that it keeps the aroma intact, while performing the above mentioned rounding. One of the most interesting and unique characteristics of this specific teapot is that it holds on to the aroma of the previous tea brewed in it to a drastic degree. After brewing the 1982 Baozhong in it only twice and then rinsing with cool & boiling water, the intoxicating aroma of sweet & delicious plums is still permeating from the inside of the freshly cleaned and rinsed teapot and it makes me think I am going to truly enjoy the way this teapot will add depth to each subsequent brew in the future.
Last edited by ImmortaliTEA on Aug 2nd, '12, 01:36, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 2nd, '12, 00:57

by Poohblah » Aug 2nd, '12, 00:57

Nice little shui ping! If I were to start an yixing collection, I would definitely start with a pot as close to that one as I could find.

Aug 2nd, '12, 01:18

by needaTEAcher » Aug 2nd, '12, 01:18

I just can't get enough of those amazing little shui ping pots. I could have 100 and still want more!!!!!

Aug 2nd, '12, 01:22

by ImmortaliTEA » Aug 2nd, '12, 01:22

Poohblah wrote:Nice little shui ping! If I were to start an yixing collection, I would definitely start with a pot as close to that one as I could find.
Thank you very much I greatly appreciate it and yes I think that would certainly be the smart thing to do as it took me a few years of "tuition" teapots of larger sizes gradually moving down in size to save money, precious tea, and get a more concentrated brew. Also though, a small personal teapot like this allows you to actually drink through many many steeps of any particular tea so that you can actually get a feel for how the aroma, flavors, nuances & subtleties, and Qi changes as the leaves open up more and more revealing more of their oils and depth as you go, and all this without having to drink 5-6 ounces or more of tea per steep (if it were a slightly larger teapot such as 150 ml) and having a stomach full of tea before you are even on to the 5th or 6th steep and that is only a small fraction of how the tea evolves as it opens up going into the 12th on through the 24th steep if it is a high quality puerh or perhaps aged oolong.

Aug 2nd, '12, 01:31

by ImmortaliTEA » Aug 2nd, '12, 01:31

needaTEAcher wrote:I just can't get enough of those amazing little shui ping pots. I could have 100 and still want more!!!!!
Trust me I completely understand I have about 14 Shui Pings myself and I will continue to keep buying them in all the small Xiao Pin sizes and different clay variations. There is something about this particular shape that attracts me to it and it will always be my favorite in terms of looks, balance, chi qualities, and of course function, function, function. I truly believe that since this is one of the most yin/yang balanced shapes that it is superior to all other in terms of generating, receiving, accentuating, and transmitting the Qi qualities of the teas and allowing for gargantuan amounts of Qi itself to be released into your cup showing the true essence of the relationship between Qi and Nature (tea).

Aug 3rd, '12, 11:52

by ImmortaliTEA » Aug 3rd, '12, 11:52

needaTEAcher wrote:I just can't get enough of those amazing little shui ping pots. I could have 100 and still want more!!!!!
I'm not sure if you know, but another very interesting thing about shui pings is that they are not all the same shape. I used to think shui ping was just that one particular "water balance" type shape but over time I found out that shui ping just refers to any teapot that the spout, opening, and handle all line up so when you turn the pot upside down all three touch the surface. So basically, that could be an almost infinite number of shape combinations that match that criteria so you know that just means one thing: more to collect! Haha.

Aug 3rd, '12, 15:34

by SFLouis » Aug 3rd, '12, 15:34

tingjunkie wrote:
- Clay type (zhu ni, hong ni, zi ni, duan ni, zisha, etc.) Low/Med/High fired?
- Size of pot in ml or oz.
- What year/decade the pot was made.
- If the pot is thin-walled, medium, or thick-walled.
- How long is the pour?
- Where you acquired the pot.
- What type of tea you make with it.
- What qualities the pot has on tea. i.e. Why do you like to brew a certain tea in it, and what does it do for that tea?

-All the seller told me about the clay was that it was "benshan". My guess is that it's mostly duan ni, although there are parts where the color is the sort of pale, ashen, greenish gray that makes me wonder if there could also be some lu ni in there. There are also purplish dark specks all over the outside, but I suspect that these are firing deposits since there are none inside the pot and many of these dark spots have very large, visible pores/indentations at their center.

- ~90mL

-Modern. Don't know what year, but recent. I've had it for a little less than a year.

-the walls are thinner in some areas and thicker in others.

-pour is not bad. I haven't timed it, but if the spout is not clogged it empties pretty quickly. The spout & hole are pretty small, but it has a single-hole design, so there is no screen made of little holes or anything. It will dribble if I try to pour too quickly, and leak a little, but typically I just set it down in the cha hai while it's pouring bc my laziness is more important to me than pouring tea in a way that looks pretty.

-got it from dragon tea house.

-I use this pot for young sheng, and I use it nearly every day unless I'm traveling or otherwise unable to be at my home.

-Despite my expectations, this pot seems to be a bit less porous & round out the flavor less than my purple clay pots, but it does some. When hot water is first poured into it, it does not make quite as many snap-crackle-pop noises as some other pots do. Fragrances are preserved nicely. I like to use it so much mainly because the size is perfect for my tea-drinking habit. I can brew 7 grams of young sheng in it at a time and it produces 7 to 15 cups ranging 60-70mL at just the right strength. Feels nice. It's just enough tea for one person, never too much for my stomach as long as I've eaten.
Attachments
IMG_1104.jpg
The patina accumulating on the inner surface has made visible the inner distress line behind where the handle is attached.
IMG_1104.jpg (30.7 KiB) Viewed 1135 times
IMG_1087.jpg
I haven't seen very many pots with a handle this thin. I imagine that it is more difficult to make a pot with a thin handle and this seems as though it would increase the likelihood of damage during firing & require a certain level of skill on the part of the maker.
IMG_1087.jpg (37.33 KiB) Viewed 1135 times
IMG_1077.jpg
IMG_1077.jpg (47.93 KiB) Viewed 1135 times

Aug 3rd, '12, 20:33

by ImmortaliTEA » Aug 3rd, '12, 20:33

SFLouis wrote:
tingjunkie wrote:
- How long is the pour?
- What qualities the pot has on tea. i.e. Why do you like to brew a certain tea in it, and what does it do for that tea?

-All the seller told me about the clay was that it was "benshan". My guess is that it's mostly duan ni, although there are parts where the color is the sort of pale, ashen, greenish gray that makes me wonder if there could also be some lu ni in there. There are also purplish dark specks all over the outside, but I suspect that these are firing deposits since there are none inside the pot and many of these dark spots have very large, visible pores/indentations at their center.

- ~90mL

-Modern. Don't know what year, but recent. I've had it for a little less than a year.

-pour is not bad. I haven't timed it, but if the spout is not clogged it empties pretty quickly. The spout & hole are pretty small, but it has a single-hole design, so there is no screen made of little holes or anything. It will dribble if I try to pour too quickly, and leak a little, but typically I just set it down in the cha hai while it's pouring bc my laziness is more important to me than pouring tea in a way that looks pretty.

-I use this pot for young sheng, and I use it nearly every day unless I'm traveling or otherwise unable to be at my home.

-Despite my expectations, this pot seems to be a bit less porous & round out the flavor less than my purple clay pots, but it does some. When hot water is first poured into it, it does not make quite as many snap-crackle-pop noises as some other pots do. Fragrances are preserved nicely. I like to use it so much mainly because the size is perfect for my tea-drinking habit. I can brew 7 grams of young sheng in it at a time and it produces 7 to 15 cups ranging 60-70mL at just the right strength. Feels nice. It's just enough tea for one person, never too much for my stomach as long as I've eaten.

So you were the one who snatched up that beauty! I was eyeing that one for a long time and if I remember correctly it is a Yao Bian pot which is another plus if you are into that sort of thing. Nice Pot!

Aug 3rd, '12, 21:23
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Aug 3rd, '12, 21:23

I remember seeing that one as well. Very pretty, very striking. Looks like it is doing very well...!

Aug 3rd, '12, 21:56

by needaTEAcher » Aug 3rd, '12, 21:56

ImmortaliTEA wrote:
I'm not sure if you know, but another very interesting thing about shui pings is that they are not all the same shape. I used to think shui ping was just that one particular "water balance" type shape but over time I found out that shui ping just refers to any teapot that the spout, opening, and handle all line up so when you turn the pot upside down all three touch the surface. So basically, that could be an almost infinite number of shape combinations that match that criteria so you know that just means one thing: more to collect! Haha.
More to collect!!!!!!

I didn't know that shui ping hu was such a broad shape. Thanks for the info. I thought it was just the water-balance shape. BUY ALL THE POTS!

Aug 4th, '12, 15:34

by SFLouis » Aug 4th, '12, 15:34

ImmortaliTEA wrote:
SFLouis wrote:
tingjunkie wrote:
- How long is the pour?

- ~90mL

So you were the one who snatched up that beauty! I was eyeing that one for a long time and if I remember correctly it is a Yao Bian pot which is another plus if you are into that sort of thing. Nice Pot!

Hehe yeah it was me. I was eyeing it for a while too before I took the plunge. I'm very glad that I did, though. I am glad you told me that it is yao bian. I was unfamiliar w the term before, but I did a search for more info about it and I guess I can say that yes I am definitely into that! Can anyone recommend any further sources of info about yao bian?

+ Post Reply