Jan 4th, '10, 17:40
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Matcha bowl (chawan) size reference

by Geekgirl » Jan 4th, '10, 17:40

That's a rather vague statement don't you think? The width of a chawan across the lip is the merest starting point of defining size. I would think you could see that by the tremendous size and weight variance shown above.

The grey/green hira chawan I posted above is 14.5cm, compared to the Lum celadon at 14cm. But at nearly .5kg difference in weight, which one is regarded as "standard?"

So your point? Perhaps to defend the chawan's great size. FTR, it was an observation, not a value judgment, and a stellar example of why these dimensions are often worse than useless for someone who has not handled many examples of chawan for their own reference.

Relying on that single measurement as "standard," is quite misleading. As so:

Illustrated, smallest to largest from left to right:

(1- small) 13.7cm, (2-medium) 14cm, (3-large) 14.5cm

Jan 4th, '10, 20:16

by Dreamer » Jan 4th, '10, 20:16

I don't want to speak for someone else, but I was taking John's post to mean that while that chawan looked large next to the others, it's size (just looking at the lip-to-lip measurement) isn't really outside the "standard". It looked as if the quotes were added as an acknowledgment that there isn't a real standard, just what is somewhat not unusual. I did not think he meant to imply that that was the only measurement that mattered.

For myself, I won't consider a bowl for matcha that is under 4.75 inches across and that would be a bowl with high straight sides. I have a bowl very like your kyoyaki seasons bowl above and it is good. Any flatter bowl needs to be wider, but I really don't want one much flatter. Even if the sides are higher/straighter, I won't go under 4.75 inches...I've tried...and I can't get it to work.

Sadly, I LOVED the Seigan ao tebineri yunomi's but I realized that I would just be annoyed at frequent attempts to make matcha in one...when I'm making matcha I really don't want to be annoyed :mrgreen:

Is it too late for matcha?
Dreamer

Jan 4th, '10, 21:54

by TubbyCow » Jan 4th, '10, 21:54

Dreamer wrote:Is it too late for matcha?
It's never too late for matcha. :wink:

Jan 4th, '10, 22:04
Scrolling: scrolling

by Geekgirl » Jan 4th, '10, 22:04

Sorry. Cranky tone is reflective of my frustration with estimating the size of a chawan based on incomplete information. I have/had several in my collection that are lovely but ultimately don't work for me because I misjudged the size in relation to my own size. :)

Although a couple have found good homes elsewhere, I prefer getting it right the first time. :wink:

Jan 5th, '10, 00:54

by JBaymore » Jan 5th, '10, 00:54

That 13 to 15 cm diameter range (widest point.....not necessarily the rim) is quite typical in Japan for actual ceremony bowls. Smaller ones are certainly made and are often called "traverer's chawan". But you'll find a LOT of them are in this general range. It is considered "comfortable" for the average Japanese person's hands and for whisking. It also has its roots in what is/was considered the "correct" size for a rice bowl.....which at one point was the model for the Ido style teabowls (or the chawan actually were made to be rice bowls).

And a woman's "correct" rice bowl is slightly smaller than a man's. :wink:

There are a lot of things in Japan that are sort of generally "standardized" for sizes or shapes. Not rigidly.... but just generally.

Sorry you found my comment offensive. I'm not sure why.

best,

...................john

Jan 5th, '10, 12:36

by GreenwoodStudio » Jan 5th, '10, 12:36

This thread is a great reference tool for me. Thank you for starting it Geek :)

+ Post Reply