Friday TeaDay 1/21/11 How important is it anyway?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. Given our recent discussions, it occurred to me, I wonder how much importance do you place in harvest information anyway? Please be sure to share.

Xtremely important, and virtually never buy a tea without it!
14%
Very important, affecting most tea purchases
28%
Important, affects tea buying decisions
33%
Maybe
3%
Not much, might look at it
14%
Not important, never even look at it really
No votes
Zero importance to me, I could not care less
No votes
Ummm, is this supposed to be important?
8%
I don't know ... thinking about it
No votes

Total votes: 36

Jan 21st, '11, 14:29
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Friday TeaDay 1/21/11 How important is it anyway?

by Chip » Jan 21st, '11, 14:29

Seems I am the only hardliner so far. I am not buying virtually any tea without the harvest info. And the harvest info has to be the info I am looking for.

There is just no reason why a seller would not be able to offer this info if they were determined to do so.

I also want to see it on the site, not have to ask for it ... but I also want to see it in plain and public view. A CS person might just say what I want to hear to make a sale or because I am droning on about newest harvest while they don't even know what I am talking about.

There is much less likelyhood of getting the wrong info if it is right on the site in black and white.

Transparency!!!

Jan 21st, '11, 15:17

by JRS22 » Jan 21st, '11, 15:17

Chip wrote:Seems I am the only hardliner so far. I am not buying virtually any tea without the harvest info. And the harvest info has to be the info I am looking for.
+1 (No surprise seeing as how Chip is my tea guru).

When I contacted Rishi about harvest info I was given it for the 2 specific teas I asked about (prior year - not what I wanted to hear) and told that Rishi only mentions harvest year for special teas (special purchases?). I figure that if the tea is a year old, even if it tastes ok when I buy it, it won't taste as good down the road as the fresh tea I could have bought from other vendors at the same time. The same is true of Upton - they told me they assign the same item number if the new shipment tastes essentially the same as the old shipment.

So in my cup this morning, 2010 Mao Feng from Jing.

Jan 21st, '11, 16:25

by twinofmunin » Jan 21st, '11, 16:25

I do care about harvest information in the sense that I like to see it, as Chip, but I haven't done enough sampling of various seasons in comparison to really ... buy based on that? I try to keep note of details for teas I like, including season, but I'm still a n00b...

Jan 21st, '11, 16:40

by AdamMY » Jan 21st, '11, 16:40

I voted extremely important, as I look for that information, but at the same time quite a few teas I drink do not require the utmost freshness and some of them often improve over the course of a few months to years, (or decades for puerh). So while I do not get hung up on some teas about getting teas from the latest harvest, for those such as Sencha I think it is incredibly important.

Jan 21st, '11, 18:22

by Peacock » Jan 21st, '11, 18:22

I think it's extremely important. If a vendor doesn't have the harvest information listed I tend to think of them as being "shady". On the other hand I like vendors that list all the harvest information and tells me a little bit of history behind the growers, how the tea is processed, and the history of the fields and growing region.

Oh yeah... pictures are nice too. :lol:

Jan 21st, '11, 21:24

by debunix » Jan 21st, '11, 21:24

How important it is depends on the context: my chinatown tea shop doesn't put much info besides the name on the jars of tea, and I don't generally buy teas where freshness is critical from them--not that they offer a lot of sencha anyway. However, at the shop I can view, sniff, and sample the teas. For online suppliers, until/unless I have ordered enough from them, or heard enough about them from other trusted sources, I want more details including harvest info for most teas.

Today, drank some 2007 Golden needles & white lotus from Menghai, love this tea. So mellow but rich. Full harvest info on the YS site when I bought it.

Jan 21st, '11, 23:58

by entropyembrace » Jan 21st, '11, 23:58

For virtually all tea purchases I want to know harvest info...and it´s not always about freshness...sometimes the older teas are better. Also even teas that are supposed to be the same will vary from year to year and season to season...like say a big factory puerh recipe from 2008 vs 2009.

The only exception where I don´t really care are flavoured blends which I do sometimes buy and drink. I´m sure in that case the tea could be from more than one harvest and location and the vendor often doesn´t know.

Jan 22nd, '11, 07:24

by brad4419 » Jan 22nd, '11, 07:24

Xtremely important. Their are way too many good vendors out their who will give the harvest information to buy from a vendor who wont. If a vendor wont give the info or doesn't know :roll: I will go elsewhere.

Jan 22nd, '11, 23:00
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 22nd, '11, 23:00

brad4419 wrote:Xtremely important. Their are way too many good vendors out their who will give the harvest information to buy from a vendor who wont. If a vendor wont give the info or doesn't know :roll: I will go elsewhere.
Pretty much my sentiment as well. There are vendors who get and vendors who do not.

Just as there is a "steep" learning curve for the consumer of fine teas, there is also a "steep" learning curve for vendors who want a portion of the premium tea market.

Jan 23rd, '11, 11:06

by rhondabee » Jan 23rd, '11, 11:06

Yes, I think knowing the harvest time/year is very important. I haven't bought tea from a vendor where it hasn't been listed. I especially like the vendors who not only list the harvest date, but will blog about the teas when they come in and give comparisons to the last harvest, so you can get an idea of what the tea is like.

Jan 23rd, '11, 20:26

by nickE » Jan 23rd, '11, 20:26

Definitely important for teas that need to be consumed fresh, and even if they don't, it's still nice to know.

In the end, though, it comes down to if the tea tastes good or not.