Let's make a list of teas with strong cha-qi

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Sep 24th, '12, 21:48
Vendor Member

Re: Let's make a list of teas with strong cha-qi

by TwoDog2 » Sep 24th, '12, 21:48

shah82 wrote:Cha qi is an entirely personal experience.
I would be interested if other people would qualify typical effects on their bodies. I think it effects different people in different ways, as does THC, or alcohol.

One thing that qi does for me personally, is make me sweat in a particular way, usually at my lower back, or further up my body if it is particularly strong.

One way to separate the effects from caffeine or hot liquid is to do a comparison. For example, if I drink hot coffee, I don't sweat. Or cold redbull, no sweat. Or just hot water, I won't sweat. (Unless I am in a hot room and I am drinking pots of hot water)

That is one way to separate out the effect for myself. Also, may puers do not make me sweat. If I have a tea with particularly strong qi, like a ban zhang, the sweat is quick and obvious.

Sep 25th, '12, 02:57

by Visarga » Sep 25th, '12, 02:57

Cha qi makes me feel a body buzz and a pleasant lightness / floating sensation. I feel the buzz mostly in the region of the head, especially at the onset, but it can become extended in the hands and the rest of the body. There is also a slight euphoria, all the while the mind remains sharp and I can focus well on what I am doing. It adds an ineffable quality to the activities I am engaged in.

Sep 25th, '12, 16:24

by bryan_drinks_tea » Sep 25th, '12, 16:24

I'm just not convinced by this thread. Yes, some people feel different effects from different teas. But a definitive list...no.
Take for example - Jess, I hope you don't mind me using you as an example.
When Jess first tried the 2008 Dayi Hong Yun Shu - she lit up! glowy, heart sped up, I believe she mentioned it felt like a panic attack.
The first time I tried the tea, I just felt a little warm. It's only one example, but you folks get the picture.

Sep 25th, '12, 16:36

by shah82 » Sep 25th, '12, 16:36

Not a strength or personal differences thing.

Sep 25th, '12, 16:50

by wyardley » Sep 25th, '12, 16:50

I think this is way too subjective a subject to have some kind of list.

Sep 25th, '12, 17:20
Vendor Member

by TIM » Sep 25th, '12, 17:20

bryan_drinks_tea wrote:I'm just not convinced by this thread. Yes, some people feel different effects from different teas. But a definitive list...no.
Take for example - Jess, I hope you don't mind me using you as an example.
When Jess first tried the 2008 Dayi Hong Yun Shu - she lit up! glowy, heart sped up, I believe she mentioned it felt like a panic attack.
The first time I tried the tea, I just felt a little warm. It's only one example, but you folks get the picture.
But what if we switch that tea to a 80's raw puerh? Will the effects be more prominent?

Sep 25th, '12, 18:18

by shah82 » Sep 25th, '12, 18:18

Oh, there are people who won't feel it.

But if you *are* sensitive to qi...well, have a nice trip, psychonaut!

Sep 25th, '12, 20:03
Scrolling: fixed

by TomVerlain » Sep 25th, '12, 20:03

I think teas' chi effect is not just in the tea, but in the vessel (you) too. How hungry or full you are, tired or tense or relaxed and alert you are.

How much you drink, how it is brewed, and how fast you imbibe also can afffect your response.

There are deffinately teas that have inate qualities that I call "chi" that are not coffee like caffine energies. Generally older teas have got that swing that zings.

Sep 25th, '12, 21:29

by trent » Sep 25th, '12, 21:29

TomVerlain wrote:There are deffinately teas that have inate qualities that I call "chi" that are not coffee like caffine energies.
I think it would be interesting to try various ratios of pure theanine / pure caffeine to see how significant other variables like water temp, aroma, taste, setting, trace minerals etc... actually are. There's no doubt in my mind that these "ambient" variables have some effect... I'm just not sure how much effect.

Sep 25th, '12, 22:08

by chrl42 » Sep 25th, '12, 22:08

Some people describe Qi as sweating the back while drinking - don't wet-stored and Shu provide those?

Some people describe Qi as chemical stimulation - I've experienced too much with young Tai Di and wild Pu then.

It's very complicated term, all I can rule out is a relatively pleasant stimulation out of them without knowing its chemical formula though.

For those I think adequate storage is a must, proper ratio of blending too, to name the places I'd go for Daxueshan, LBZ, Bulang, Nannuo etc..lately dry-stored late-90's Xiaguan Tiebing..

Sep 25th, '12, 22:10
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Sep 25th, '12, 22:10

Shah and Tomverlain both brought up a key point, which is the level of individual awareness. I think a big part of qi is individual attention to changes that are occurring in your body. Some degree of mindful awareness is necessary.

But really, doesn't everyone experience everything differently anyhow? Booze? Drugs? Food?

Instead of a list, I am more curious what people's personal reactions are. (Or lack thereof) If Jess had a panic attack feeling and bryan_drinks_tea just felt a little warm, well...ok. Two different people. Two different reactions.

To Tim's comment, I think so. In my experience aged teas bring something different to the table.

Sep 25th, '12, 22:15
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Sep 25th, '12, 22:15

chrl42 wrote: Some people describe Qi as chemical stimulation - I've experienced too much with young Tai Di and wild Pu then.
Are you saying that you have experienced Qi with both? I didn't quite follow what you meant. I have experience it with both.

Sep 25th, '12, 23:02

by trent » Sep 25th, '12, 23:02

TwoDog2 wrote:I think a big part of qi is individual attention to changes that are occurring in your body. Some degree of mindful awareness is necessary.
Am I crazy, or does anyone else feel like they can "meditate themselves into" the subjective state that certain tea arouses without actually drinking the tea in question?

e.g. x tea arouses a certain tingling in the tips of my fingers, and I'm so familiar with that tingling that I can arouse it (or a dimmed version of it) on command.

This doesn't apply to all tea, just tea that I've had very frequently or that made an extremely memorable impression on me.

Another (related) question is: to what extent is qi not the direct effect of tea (x causes y) but the second order effect of tea (x makes it easier to set the process in motion that causes y, but is not what causes y)?

Sep 25th, '12, 23:42

by chrl42 » Sep 25th, '12, 23:42

TwoDog2 wrote:
chrl42 wrote: Some people describe Qi as chemical stimulation - I've experienced too much with young Tai Di and wild Pu then.
Are you saying that you have experienced Qi with both? I didn't quite follow what you meant. I have experience it with both.
I don't consider neither as Qi, but that's just my definition. Because I've experienced them normally with low-quality teas.

Qi is translated by too many people in too many meanings..so rather I follow shah82's statement..individual experience..

Sep 26th, '12, 09:47

by gasninja » Sep 26th, '12, 09:47

TomVerlain wrote:I think teas' chi effect is not just in the tea, but in the vessel (you) too. How hungry or full you are, tired or tense or relaxed and alert you are.

How much you drink, how it is brewed, and how fast you imbibe also can afffect your response.

There are deffinately teas that have inate qualities that I call "chi" that are not coffee like caffine energies. Generally older teas have got that swing that zings.
Yeah what he said.

+ Post Reply