Oct 30th, '13, 01:53
Vendor Member

Re: Zhongguo Yixing Seal

by TIM » Oct 30th, '13, 01:53

What do you mean? They ARE called Gezui Shuiping if I got your question right.

What is Gezui means? Sorry for my ignorant...

Oct 30th, '13, 01:57

by wert » Oct 30th, '13, 01:57

This one is about that size, 150-170ml.

I am pretty sure it isn't that old or worth more that a few dimes. If I am not wrong, it was purchased inexpensively locally around 2000 or late 90s. I would add a few more pictures. Sorry for the lousy phone camera and the person behind it. :)

Having said that I do have a much smaller blackish shu ping (70cc or so) with the 6 characters (which I think is hei ni). But the characters are slightly different, 荊溪惠孟臣製. I don't have the pot with me right now but I would post when I can.
Attachments
IMG1003.jpg
IMG1003.jpg (19.8 KiB) Viewed 2945 times
IMG1026-1.jpg
IMG1026-1.jpg (12.87 KiB) Viewed 2945 times
IMG980.jpg
IMG980.jpg (22.81 KiB) Viewed 2945 times
Last edited by wert on Oct 30th, '13, 02:01, edited 1 time in total.

Oct 30th, '13, 01:59

by wert » Oct 30th, '13, 01:59

TIM wrote:What do you mean? They ARE called Gezui Shuiping if I got your question right.

What is Gezui means? Sorry for my ignorant...
I think they are sometimes called duck mouth SP too. (鸭嘴水平)

Oct 30th, '13, 02:17

by Teaism » Oct 30th, '13, 02:17

chrl42 wrote:
Teaism wrote:
chrl42 wrote:
Teaism wrote: Hmmm...hope I didnt get OT. Cheers! :D
Yes, and the quantity of high-qualiy Yixing teapots are being reduced super-rapidly. I don't wanna sound like those who 'slowed' on purchasing Beijing apartments and cried 5 years later :mrgreen:
Good thoughts, my friend, but I was like that last time but currently the access to real ones are too limited. In China you have better access but still have to be very careful. I have seen some in Maling Street Beijing and they don't seems right.

I have some good Ming Chia (famous artist) pots but now their prices are really sky high and lots of fakes around, so I don't pursue them anymore. I used to buy directly from the artist during exhibition and take photo with every piece I bought with the artist holding it. Now, I am happy hunting for 60s, 70s to 80s teapots which I got directly from very old and realiable collectors. They are affordable still and genuine and don't cost a leg or apartment.

There are a lot of good old genuine pots here in Asia esp Thailand, Singapore and Malaysia and many of these old collectors are looking for the right person to take over their babies. It is often not about money but the assurance they look for passing it to the right person and of course right price too.

Hmmmm...it is a complicated sub-culture...

Oct 30th, '13, 03:53

by chrl42 » Oct 30th, '13, 03:53

Teaism wrote:
chrl42 wrote:
Teaism wrote:
chrl42 wrote:
Teaism wrote: Hmmm...hope I didnt get OT. Cheers! :D
Yes, and the quantity of high-qualiy Yixing teapots are being reduced super-rapidly. I don't wanna sound like those who 'slowed' on purchasing Beijing apartments and cried 5 years later :mrgreen:
I used to buy directly from the artist during exhibition and take photo with every piece I bought with the artist holding it. Now, I am happy hunting for 60s, 70s to 80s teapots which I got directly from very old and realiable collectors.
I understand your efforts and security when you purchase a Yixing teapot :mrgreen:

But China market has been more organized during this decade..

There have appeared formulas, like Shi-piao=Li Han-yong, Zhuni=Xu Jin-gen, Shui-ping=Xu Fu-jun etc 'power' of commucation is seeing its fruits these days. It's not like when you walk in Beijing and scan the atmosphere and define what's what. When you need high-quality, you can just visit Yixing ask them to make for you (pre-ordered pots will be at your house in a year or more cos famous one are popular and filled with bookings) or a seller who deals with them.

Simple as that, but of course you wanna avoid those bubbles who don't make themselves..who's the bubble and who's not. In order to know that, we need to study Yixings.

I heard SE asia doesn't have many quality goods for cheaper anymore, maybe 8~90s they did though. Japan goods are cheaper but high-quality ones are more oftenly seen in SE asia....complicated culture...indeed :?

Oct 30th, '13, 07:28

by Teaism » Oct 30th, '13, 07:28

chrl42 wrote:I heard SE asia doesn't have many quality goods for cheaper anymore, maybe 8~90s they did though. :?
SEA still have a lot of good pots and genuine ones especially the old pots although there is a big influx of fakes coming in. They are getting better and harder to see. I still have a chance to use a real 80's Xi Han Tang pot to brew tea :D

But the price to pay for the new ones are really crazy and out of my game. Now even ZGYX pots are imitated. It is really a big concern since these are utitalarian pots. If they can immitate these pots, what else are we as consumer exposed to.

A friend of mine, went to Yixing to buy a lot of Yang Ching Fang pots. Little pot of 10 cups cost US$1500 to $$2000. It is really crazy.
Another friend who frequent there mentioned that some big names hire other artist to do the pots while they are having a good time elsewhere.

A lot of these inside info, whether real or not, make me too cautious and out of these big name collection. I rather focus on getting good tea and enjoy myself and also look for genuine ZGYX and 60's to 80's pots for enjoyment, afterall, I have more a few hundred of these pots from years of collection :mrgreen:

I don't think that you ever go wrong with the real 60's-80's pots as the clay is real and the ""flavour" is enchanting", rather than paying big bucks for big names.

Anyway, most important is to enjoy them, whatever we have, and I am sure you know what I mean especially when brewing a great tea with a great pot.

Cheers! :D

Oct 30th, '13, 09:36

by wert » Oct 30th, '13, 09:36

Added some half decent photos of the same pot that shows the clay...the person behind the camera is still poor. :)
Attachments
20131030_210730re.jpg
20131030_210730re.jpg (32.1 KiB) Viewed 2914 times
20131030_210719re.jpg
20131030_210719re.jpg (35.12 KiB) Viewed 2914 times
20131030_210557re.jpg
20131030_210557re.jpg (33.09 KiB) Viewed 2914 times

Oct 30th, '13, 12:44
Vendor Member

by TIM » Oct 30th, '13, 12:44

wert wrote:Added some half decent photos of the same pot that shows the clay...the person behind the camera is still poor. :)
nice pot. good buy. how long have you been using it?

Oct 30th, '13, 12:50

by wert » Oct 30th, '13, 12:50

TIM wrote:
wert wrote:Added some half decent photos of the same pot that shows the clay...the person behind the camera is still poor. :)
I used it for a few years but it hasn't been used for at least 5-6 years, maybe I should try it again. :D I dinged it alot, the lid suffered a couple of big chips. *ashamed*

Oct 30th, '13, 17:00

by wyardley » Oct 30th, '13, 17:00

TIM wrote: What is Gezui means? Sorry for my ignorant...
I think gēzuǐ (鸽嘴; 'pigeon beak').

Oct 30th, '13, 18:13
Vendor Member

by TIM » Oct 30th, '13, 18:13

wert wrote:
TIM wrote:
I used it for a few years but it hasn't been used for at least 5-6 years, maybe I should try it again. :D I dinged it alot, the lid suffered a couple of big chips. *ashamed*
Was it new when you brought it? and what tea may I ask?
Ever think about clean it and reset it for Shu puerh or high fired oolong?
Cheers ~ T

Oct 30th, '13, 18:14
Vendor Member

by TIM » Oct 30th, '13, 18:14

wyardley wrote:
I know, but thats not a pigeon beak...

Oct 30th, '13, 19:08

by wyardley » Oct 30th, '13, 19:08

TIM wrote:
wyardley wrote:
If you know, then you were being deliberately obtuse above. The shape shown in wert's pictures is what I've usually seen referred to as a pigeon beak pot. I'm sure there may be other pots that people refer to as such, or some regional differences in nomenclature, but I don't think calling this pot gezui is incorrect based on common usage, as a quick Google image search shows:

https://www.google.com/search?q=%E9%B8% ... 6&tbm=isch
https://www.google.com/search?q=%E9%B8% ... 3&tbm=isch

Oct 30th, '13, 22:33
Vendor Member

by TIM » Oct 30th, '13, 22:33

wyardley wrote:
TIM wrote:
wyardley wrote:
If you know, then you were being deliberately obtuse above. The shape shown in wert's pictures is what I've usually seen referred to as a pigeon beak pot. I'm sure there may be other pots that people refer to as such, or some regional differences in nomenclature, but I don't think calling this pot gezui is incorrect based on common usage, as a quick Google image search shows:

https://www.google.com/search?q=%E9%B8% ... 6&tbm=isch
https://www.google.com/search?q=%E9%B8% ... 3&tbm=isch
It's a duck spout. Not a shiuping or a pigeon beak.
As I understands. You a calling a elephant a rino?
If you wanna educated people, don't you think you need to get your knowledge right? I might be worry, so I'm learning too, or are you game for that? The one on the pic is for China market? Not Hong Kong which might have numbers for stamp or Taiwanese market in the 80s to 90s, which could have 4 characters stamps. But again I'm trying to learn from Chris version, since he is in Beijing.

What's your understanding of it, besides googling it Will? Pls do share.
Last edited by TIM on Oct 30th, '13, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.

Oct 30th, '13, 22:56
Vendor Member

by TIM » Oct 30th, '13, 22:56

Also, if you wanna call all these shuiping, you are welcome to it.
But you've been collecting yixing for a while now, and if you like what you call it, then do start a trend. Google these thing is the worst thing you can teach people, i think you should understand that... no?

+ Post Reply