Jun 6th, '14, 22:27
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: 70's factory 1 yixing teapots

by ABx » Jun 6th, '14, 22:27

wert wrote: Personally, it bothers me more if the merchant is incompetent than dishonest.
So which one are you, then? I can guarantee that you haven't been right about every thing you've ever said and done.

The logic is to assume that he's human and start a conversation. I can see that might be a difficult concept, though.

Every tea vendor I've seen has at least one item that's crap; they all specialize in one or two types of tea that they know well, and they all have to carry a bit more than just those specific teas. We can raise a big stink about otherwise trustworthy vendors being incompetent liars, or we can accept that as human beings they made a mistake, start a conversation, and help them improve -- and the best ones will improve. If they're truly trying to rip people off, though, then it's certainly worth pointing that out. One of the ways to help tell the difference is in how many bad items they have; one is probably a mistake, two may be a coincidence, but 75%+ is probably being dishonest.

Jun 7th, '14, 00:20

by Tead Off » Jun 7th, '14, 00:20

the_economist wrote:It looks like non-Yixing clay to me (the ebay one)
Could be a flourescent lighting that is giving that strange color. Otherwise, that color is very odd.

Jun 7th, '14, 00:43

by wert » Jun 7th, '14, 00:43

ABx wrote:
wert wrote: Personally, it bothers me more if the merchant is incompetent than dishonest.
So which one are you, then? I can guarantee that you haven't been right about every thing you've ever said and done.

The logic is to assume that he's human and start a conversation. I can see that might be a difficult concept, though.

Every tea vendor I've seen has at least one item that's crap; they all specialize in one or two types of tea that they know well, and they all have to carry a bit more than just those specific teas. We can raise a big stink about otherwise trustworthy vendors being incompetent liars, or we can accept that as human beings they made a mistake, start a conversation, and help them improve -- and the best ones will improve. If they're truly trying to rip people off, though, then it's certainly worth pointing that out. One of the ways to help tell the difference is in how many bad items they have; one is probably a mistake, two may be a coincidence, but 75%+ is probably being dishonest.
I am sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way, but no need to be condescending and personal about it. It would be more productive if the issue itself is addressed instead. I guess I didn't explain myself well enough in the first place, for that I apologise.

Back to the opening post, those pots are quite clearly not from the 70s to anyone who has some experience with yixing. I mean anyone with a couple of 70s pots could tell that there are some questionable points if they take the time to do a simple comparison. That's why I don't think it is a "honest" mistake. Even if the vendor is inexperienced, then don't you think it is reckless and also a certain element of dishonesty to sell them as 70s Factory 1 pots amid at a lower price. From this alone, you can have a sense of that vendor's attitude towards yixing. Of course, most of the vendors are just so but that doesn't mean it should be taken as a matter of course and accepted as OK.

Having a "conversation" with the merchant, I don't know. In some quarters, it would be considered rude but on the whole it would be fruitless. They already have the goods, so they have to sell it no matter what. More often than not, you are telling them something they already know in the first place.

It is not the consumers' job to "help them improve". It is a simple matter of knowing their own product, which I think is the basic responsibility of any merchant in any line. If you don't know your products, you have no business selling them.

For the OP's question about the filter. Most of the 70s rou bing and taijian shape has a single hole but multi hole ones do exist. Although the ones you shown are clearly not of that era in terms of workmanship and style.

Jun 7th, '14, 01:03

by Tead Off » Jun 7th, '14, 01:03

Many of these merchants have no real idea of what they are selling. They come from different backgrounds and the idea of selling 'antiques' or yixing ware as a business is the primary motivation. They get setup by someone who wants them to sell for them. They are told this or that and they pass the information on to you. Many don't know anything but what they are told.

Then there are those who are simply making their own rules. Almost no one on ebay knows much about yixing. This is not to say you can't score something there. No high minded philosophy or righteous anger is going to change this. Human beings need to survive and they do what they 'think' is necessary. Selling fake yixing and whatnot is hardly a blip on the screen when it comes to 'crimes' that are committed not only in China but all over the world.

Jun 7th, '14, 01:15
Vendor Member

by honza » Jun 7th, '14, 01:15

bagua7 wrote:
Huh!? I've never seen that clay/colour before? What is it? Anyone? :|

The first pot showing in the OP's message is saying: "drink me wuyi rock tea, please!" I quite like it. :)
Magical 70´s secret clay 8) Local dealler in Czech offered it like "Lu Ni" in his FB Here can see fake in taobao with the same clay http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a23 ... s=1#detail May later will someone give comment in the same set of clay in 5000 friends shop so can add the same link with pot which TuoChaTea post here. I am pretty sure they are the same with the local dealer offer in Czech. He had all clays which eBay had and the same description about them - 1970´s ,Factory 1, the same size and shapes (also the one fanggu in the shuiping set offer like shuiping in the FB...) and all was USED...thats make me scary. How "used" these all Qing, 1960, 1970 teapots from the eBay seller are...who and how use them? May there is really 5000 friends who use them around Yixing :shock:
Well, better shut up, I can prove in more details these eBay pots are identic but I am tea seller and I guess I really say a lot now.
I am not sure if he was duped by someone else. I dont know any tea seller who can buy for some cheap price this large quantity teapots with this description and also offer it like this. And at last need to say again, the "used" in both descriptions make me scary.

Jun 7th, '14, 01:37
Vendor Member

by honza » Jun 7th, '14, 01:37

ABx wrote: Every tea vendor I've seen has at least one item that's crap; they all specialize in one or two types of tea that they know well, and they all have to carry a bit more than just those specific teas. We can raise a big stink about otherwise trustworthy vendors being incompetent liars, or we can accept that as human beings they made a mistake, start a conversation, and help them improve -- and the best ones will improve. If they're truly trying to rip people off, though, then it's certainly worth pointing that out. One of the ways to help tell the difference is in how many bad items they have; one is probably a mistake, two may be a coincidence, but 75%+ is probably being dishonest.
This can be true, every seller do something wrong. But to me, this offer is like I will buy 1 kilo brick of gold for $20 and sell it for $50 for kilo golden brick. You will think is ok and I just do one thing wrong if all my other products I offer are real ?

Jun 7th, '14, 04:32

by chrl42 » Jun 7th, '14, 04:32

Tead Off wrote:Many of these merchants have no real idea of what they are selling. They come from different backgrounds and the idea of selling 'antiques' or yixing ware as a business is the primary motivation. They get setup by someone who wants them to sell for them. They are told this or that and they pass the information on to you. Many don't know anything but what they are told.

Then there are those who are simply making their own rules. Almost no one on ebay knows much about yixing. This is not to say you can't score something there. No high minded philosophy or righteous anger is going to change this. Human beings need to survive and they do what they 'think' is necessary. Selling fake yixing and whatnot is hardly a blip on the screen when it comes to 'crimes' that are committed not only in China but all over the world.
+1

Perhaps it's also possible the seller was cheated in the first place..and the giver who gave the seller could also have been cheated..too. In that, it's not crime. It's rather History of China....now I understand why many people here believe Buddha.....

Jun 7th, '14, 07:48

by Tead Off » Jun 7th, '14, 07:48

chrl42 wrote:
Tead Off wrote:Many of these merchants have no real idea of what they are selling. They come from different backgrounds and the idea of selling 'antiques' or yixing ware as a business is the primary motivation. They get setup by someone who wants them to sell for them. They are told this or that and they pass the information on to you. Many don't know anything but what they are told.

+1

Perhaps it's also possible the seller was cheated in the first place..and the giver who gave the seller could also have been cheated..too. In that, it's not crime. It's rather History of China....now I understand why many people here believe Buddha.....
LOL.

If you know India, they stopped believing in Buddha a long time ago.

+ Post Reply