I've fallen in love with shou

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Dec 14th, '15, 12:19

Re: I've fallen in love with shou

by Frisbeehead » Dec 14th, '15, 12:19

BioHorn wrote:Check out Puerhlife's latest post:

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=21176
Interesting. So are you recommending I should try the cakes that OP tried in that post? Or are you recommending that I check the post out so that I would be wary of buying the cakes OP bought in that post due to fear of mold?

Dec 14th, '15, 14:52

by BioHorn » Dec 14th, '15, 14:52

Frisbeehead wrote:

Interesting. So are you recommending I should try the cakes that OP tried in that post? Or are you recommending that I check the post out so that I would be wary of buying the cakes OP bought in that post due to fear of mold?
Sorry. I was not very wordy there!
"I'd go so far as to say it has much better chaqi than most sheng in that price range and it's pleasant to drink and not moldy, just very earthy and deep. "
I think this captures a number of shou tendencies:
- tendency to be unhygenic
- lack of chaqui/flavor/hollowness
- possible high flavor funkiness

That said, many shou can be a nice even uncomplicated drink to warm up with. A previous member had suggested to go first with Dayi offerings. I agree that might be a pretty safe way to start, but by no means a hard-fast rule.

Some shou can have a bit more personality than others and as some suggested, adding a bit of mid-aged or aged sheng to the brew can really enhance the outcome.

Dec 14th, '15, 15:10

by Frisbeehead » Dec 14th, '15, 15:10

BioHorn wrote:
Frisbeehead wrote:

Sorry. I was not very wordy there!
"I'd go so far as to say it has much better chaqi than most sheng in that price range and it's pleasant to drink and not moldy, just very earthy and deep. "
I think this captures a number of shou tendencies:
- tendency to be unhygenic
- lack of chaqui/flavor/hollowness
- possible high flavor funkiness

That said, many shou can be a nice even uncomplicated drink to warm up with. A previous member had suggested to go first with Dayi offerings. I agree that might be a pretty safe way to start, but by no means a hard-fast rule.

Some shou can have a bit more personality than others and as some suggested, adding a bit of mid-aged or aged sheng to the brew can really enhance the outcome.
I appreciate the in depth response! I will look for those cakes mentioned. I'll also try to get a nice variety so that I can see what the range is like.

I have some sheng at the moment, so perhaps I will try that sometime.

Also, the one thing that has prevented me from purchasing a cake of shou is the storage situation. Now, I've read a lot about pu storage, and it seems to be a very divided and complex subject with many things to consider. I don't know where I would put a cake if I bought one. I am a slow tea drinker, and I have a bunch of other teas I drink regularly, so I wouldn't exactly be consuming it quickly.

I have looked into the Ohio stoneware crocks, and those seem like a good option. I live in Ohio, so that works out :) But I have also read responses from other people who are against using these crocks to store pu.

What do you guys do with your cakes? I have also seen suggestions for the electronic humidity-control setups, but they are expensive. Maybe that would be viable later on when I have a nice collection of good pu'erh, but not at the moment. At home I have a big steel pot (like a chili pot) that could work, and it has a lid. I also have an Igloo mini cooler, which is actually where I put the pu'erh I do have. I know there are things I can use to control the humidity, like the gel containers that you put in cigar humidors and other things like that.

Dec 14th, '15, 17:47

by BW85 » Dec 14th, '15, 17:47

Also, the one thing that has prevented me from purchasing a cake of shou is the storage situation. Now, I've read a lot about pu storage, and it seems to be a very divided and complex subject with many things to consider. I don't know where I would put a cake if I bought one. I am a slow tea drinker, and I have a bunch of other teas I drink regularly, so I wouldn't exactly be consuming it quickly.

I have looked into the Ohio stoneware crocks, and those seem like a good option. I live in Ohio, so that works out :) But I have also read responses from other people who are against using these crocks to store pu.

What do you guys do with your cakes? I have also seen suggestions for the electronic humidity-control setups, but they are expensive. Maybe that would be viable later on when I have a nice collection of good pu'erh, but not at the moment. At home I have a big steel pot (like a chili pot) that could work, and it has a lid. I also have an Igloo mini cooler, which is actually where I put the pu'erh I do have. I know there are things I can use to control the humidity, like the gel containers that you put in cigar humidors and other things like that.
Without a large collection of puerh to worry about I'd say just keep it simple. A good rule is to avoid the extremes in temp and humidity, keep it out of light, and not just sitting open on a shelf but partially protected in some way

Dec 14th, '15, 20:26

by Frisbeehead » Dec 14th, '15, 20:26

BW85 wrote:
Without a large collection of puerh to worry about I'd say just keep it simple. A good rule is to avoid the extremes in temp and humidity, keep it out of light, and not just sitting open on a shelf but partially protected in some way
Cool, I have that big stainless steel pot with a lid that I can use. It doesn't have any smells, so it should be okay. If it does, I can find something else. I may end up getting an Ohio stoneware crock anyway because they aren't too expensive.

+ Post Reply