Sencha help

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

May 19th, '08, 05:06

by battra » May 19th, '08, 05:06

Some local Stockholm info:
I have had some uji no tsuyu midori/gin before, and I think that both are good, but I didn't see a best before date on those packages, so I bought tea from another brand (to the right of uji no tsuyu on the tea shelf!) which had just been unpacked - I had the fukamushi sencha (60:-) which tasted very fresh!

May 19th, '08, 05:23

by Beidao » May 19th, '08, 05:23

Battra: OK, I can't see those teas in JFK:s internet shop, so I'll have to go to the IRL shop and look. You're very helpful indeed!
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

May 19th, '08, 09:24

by joelbct » May 19th, '08, 09:24

Beidao wrote:Thanx again! It wasn't a grocery store, it was a tea store, but a rather small one in a galleria. Not the best place to look for tea experts...
The first Sencha I had was from a reputable tea source, but one that specialized in Chinese and Indian tea. It was lousy Sencha, and I didn't try again for a year or two. Japanese tea has to be stored rather particularly, so most shops that specialize in other types of tea simply do not do Sencha correctly.

If you want to give it another shot, try O-Cha or Ito En.

Yes, even good sencha may be an acquired taste, though I'm not sure. I was hooked from my first bag of Ito En Megami.

May 19th, '08, 09:48

Re: Sencha help

by inspectoring » May 19th, '08, 09:48

Beidao wrote:it seemed sweet and not bitter immediatly after brewing. But, when it had cooled enough to drink it was not sweet at all - and enough bitter not to be enjoyable.

I haven't got very much leaves left now. But damn it, I WILL get a decent cup of Sencha before I run out of it!!
I think this is always what I suspected. The sencha that has a lot of small broken leaves is the prime reason. I think the small leave particulates are filtered through the mesh (if you have one in your tea pot) and they stay in your tea further contributing to the flavor.

May 24th, '08, 16:09

by Beidao » May 24th, '08, 16:09

Tonight I tried my old sencha again. I examined it and saw that it was mostly broken leaves and a many twigs. A lot of leaf parts made it's way through the mesh, as inspectoring expected.

Anyway, since I had so little water in boiler it soon became way too hot, and when I cooled it down it became 60 degrees Celcius instead of 70. I used this 60 degrees water and then I forgot about the time so when I took out the leaves I wasn't sure how long they had been in. I sipped a little, scared that it would be even more bitter than before - and immediatly thought "Oh, this is nice!"

So obviously this Sencha has Gyokuro complex or something. The second cup, also 60 degrees, became watery but the first I remember as sweet. It had *some* bitterness but in the way a black tea has - rough but not unpleasant.

The used leaves has a nice pale green colour and they look very beutiful. Now I'm even more eager to try some good stuff!
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

+ Post Reply