Fanatical Thursday 7/10/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Fanatical about your teacup? What is the ONE feature that is a MUST before you will sip from it?

SIZE is of paramount importance
26%
MATERIAL and TEXTURE...TOUCH
32%
It is all about SHAPE
12%
STYLE
12%
ORIGIN
No votes
COLOR
4%
Must have a WHITE interior (unless maybe it is glass)
14%
NAME of maker
No votes
PRICE
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 50

Jul 10th, '08, 09:28

by TimeforTea » Jul 10th, '08, 09:28

I prefer my tea cups to have a white interior or be glass.

This morning, I brewed some casa-blanca twist.
Last edited by TimeforTea on Jul 10th, '08, 09:36, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 10th, '08, 09:31

by TimeforTea » Jul 10th, '08, 09:31

omegapd wrote:I don't like a handle on my tea cups. I just can't drink tea out of something that reminds me of a coffee cup. It's a mind over matter thing for me...

EW
I agree with this, too. My favorite tea cups have no handles because handles feel too much like coffee cups.

Jul 10th, '08, 09:49

by auggy » Jul 10th, '08, 09:49

I voted size just because that's the one thing that can for sure take a cup out of the "must have" list if it clicks with me. Anything smaller than 5oz I just can't go for. After that, I'm not picky as to style, color, texture, etc.

This morning was the last of the tropical cyclone tea (I think that was the name). Ultimately not bad, just way too floral for me.

Jul 10th, '08, 09:56

by Ti » Jul 10th, '08, 09:56

The ONE feature that is a MUST before I will sip from it is that there' s tea in it.

Drinking gyokuro asahi right now. First time I had it.

Jul 10th, '08, 10:00

by michaelskar » Jul 10th, '08, 10:00

for me it is size...but I also like the interior to be white.

I am enjoying a republic of tea Wuyi oolong this morning. Way overpriced, but has a nice malty/honey note to it.

Jul 10th, '08, 10:10
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jul 10th, '08, 10:10

I surprised myself here voting for MATERIAL and TEXTURE...TOUCH.

My first inclination was:
Must have a WHITE interior (unless maybe it is glass)

For me the MATERIAL and TEXTURE...TOUCH must be perfect and I usually find that in glass, but also in porcelain. Yes I prefer a white interior, but I'm finding soft greens work nicely too. Many times size does play a factor, but I think I'm going to surprise you all when I display some of my new cups. :wink:
Last edited by Victoria on Jul 10th, '08, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 10th, '08, 10:11

by elchai » Jul 10th, '08, 10:11

Size is the only thing that really matters to me right now. I just try to fit the cup to how much tea Im having. I should really venture out and use more. I have some china teacups and also crystal, but they usually stay in the china cabinet. I just use daily cups and sometimes some teacups that I bought from a China market.

today I'm having Masala Chai with honey!

Jul 10th, '08, 11:37

by henley » Jul 10th, '08, 11:37

kymidwife wrote: What I need now is some decent tea. I am traveling...
Feeling your pain! Didn't have time for tea this morning but my stuff's packed in a small bag so I can have tea while we're at the hotel. Isn't it amazing that tea/teaware get it's own luggage now? :lol: :oops:
elchai wrote:Today I'm having Masala Chai with honey!
Glad you're enjoying it! :D

Sal, preeetty pic today. Especially like the burgundy background.

I really needed the "other" option today because I can't say there's one particular thing I look for in my cups. Kinda like Space said, it just has to "click". Hope everyone has a great day!

Jul 10th, '08, 12:12

by Victoria » Jul 10th, '08, 12:12

At work now and having a nice Boazhong
in my GIANT Bodum glass cup,
delicious.

The feel of this cup is just wonderfully smooth and
although insulated, there is a soft warmth that
radiates. And of course the color of this tea
is sparkling and quite lovely to see.

Jul 10th, '08, 12:22

by augie » Jul 10th, '08, 12:22

tenuki wrote:I'd drink out of a cracked barbie coffee mug if it had good tea in it.
I'd pay good money to see that! :lol: What if it had a duck on it?

For me, it's all about how the cup fits in my mouth. I have a couple hand-thrown & painted I bought from a fundraiser/exhibition that are super cool to look at. Put them on my kit. window b/c I hate the way they feel in my mouth. They are too thick walled and still conduct too much heat. I also reject it if it hits the bridge of my nose. I don't have that much teaware (compated to some folks :wink: ), so cost isn't a factor if it meets the lips, mouth, bridge of nose criteria.

The short answer is: YES! I am fanatical about a teacup. I didn't realize until just now.
Last edited by augie on Jul 10th, '08, 12:23, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 10th, '08, 12:23

by Trey Winston » Jul 10th, '08, 12:23

I would have voted "other", since the only feature I care about is that the cup is reasonably clean.

Trying some green today, specifically Kukicha. Very interesting. I would put it somewhere between Sencha and Dragon Well for nuttiness. It genuinely resembles grass clippings in appearance, which I find amusing, what with the grassy taste and all.
Would buy again.

Jul 10th, '08, 12:37

by Geekgirl » Jul 10th, '08, 12:37

I had to pick size, because when I'm hunting for a cup that is the only thing that is consistent for ruling out a new teacup. For tea my range has to be between 3-7 oz. I have lots of preferences but they can be changeable from day to day. I might break the size rule for something really special and handmade, but not by much.

As far as the type of cup I'm partial to, well the list is long and varied, but I am very particular. It has to have some special quality that isn't well defined. Balanced, but not necessarily even, colors vary, materials vary. I don't like handles on my teacups unless they are English Porcelain... blah blah blah.

So there.

In my cup this morning: The unfortunately named "Yellow Fragrant." I'm sure all the chinese writing on the side contained a much more elegant name, but *shrug.* Yesterday I was a rather naughty and unrestrained child on Ebay, so today I will attempt to be an adult and conserve funds for my upcoming outing to Seattle and the international district, maybe I'll find some treasures like this:

I love the color of this tea, and in this case cup color is paramount. It must have a white or pale celadon interior for the tea color. There are some teas that demand their color be appreciated. (Thank you to Salsero for the only partially completed swap :oops: and my lovely new cup.) I'm particularly partial to the two edges on this cup, the brown one right on the rim, and the blue one slightly inside. That thin line of brown on a thin cup- like some celadon has- is one of my particular "likes" that will make me really notice a cup.

Jul 10th, '08, 12:59

by Katrina » Jul 10th, '08, 12:59

I had to go with texture today. It is all about feeling right in my hand THAT DAY. Some days it could be an antique china piece. Other days it has to be the Bodum. It could even be a ceramic coffee mug. I just know what will feel right that day.

Today Green Anji while I enjoyed the newly blooming coreopsis. I love these because they'll bloom for months. Hooray! (They also spread like wildfire...)

And I finally made it back out on the porch for my tea drinking!

Jul 10th, '08, 13:00

by Jagori » Jul 10th, '08, 13:00

Riene wrote:I once had a lovely blue mug whose rim curled inward. A thing of beauty, and utterly impossible to drink from without dribbling.
I have a cup that does the exact same thing. As long as the cup holds the tea I want to drink, the only thing I really care about is that it doesn't take facial gymnastics to drink out of. So I voted shape.

Jul 10th, '08, 13:00

by Pentox » Jul 10th, '08, 13:00

For me it's the material. I've been more interested in what something is made of than the item itself for quite a while now. For instance my mug at work is a double walled stainless cup. I have a lot of glass stuff, but yeah the texture/material is very important.

In the cup: Hibiki-an farmer's shincha