Fanatical Saturday and TeaDay 7/12/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

How fanatical are you about BREW TIMES?

I am very fanatical...brewing down to the second habitually
7%
Pretty fanatical, I try to time brews consistently
30%
Fanatical...got timers beeping
29%
No, just eyeball it
29%
Definitely not, constantly forgeting that I have tea brewing
5%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 56

Jul 12th, '08, 11:53

by augie » Jul 12th, '08, 11:53

I am between #3, #4. I keep an eye on the clock, start the timer. Sometime a kid needs a bottom wipe or the dog is coughing something up and it sits there a few minutes longer. If it isn't one thing, it's another.
kymidwife wrote:Still in Dallas at the Harry Potter convention.... I got in trouble with Hotel Security last night for wearing my Deatheater Mask in the lobby (they TOLD us it was OK to wear costumes).
You're not Bellatrix Lestrange, are you? I'm trying to put together a Halloween Costume. The hair is the toughest part. If you're still in Dallas you have to go to Babe's Chicken Dinner House! http://www.babeschicken.com/

Jul 12th, '08, 12:23
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Bai Hao Yin Zhen

by Victoria » Jul 12th, '08, 12:23

Nic pic Salsero! I like how the roses mimic the flower pattern on the gaiwan.

Jul 12th, '08, 12:29

by Victoria » Jul 12th, '08, 12:29

This morning in my cup is a lovely dargeeling sample form Salsero - Lochan Teas Darjeeling, Giddapahar Muscatel Imperial, 2nd flush 2007. Wow! This is smooth, fruity and delicious!

~clicky~

Jul 12th, '08, 12:30

by RussianSoul » Jul 12th, '08, 12:30

I chose "pretty fanatical". I always have the timer going, have my times recorded on tins once I have them figured out. If I am not using the timer, like for some really short steeps, I either count seconds or breaths. Call it "fanatical" or call it OCD, but I tasted some pretty awful brews as a result of messed up timing.

In my cup - Linn-Shee (Fir Creek) High Mountain Green Oolong from Teahome. 3rd steep, gongfu'ed, timed to precision. Great tea, surprisingly toasty for its green looks.

Jul 12th, '08, 12:51

by Victoria » Jul 12th, '08, 12:51

RussianSoul wrote:I chose "pretty fanatical". I always have the timer going, have my times recorded on tins once I have them figured out. If I am not using the timer, like for some really short steeps, I either count seconds or breaths. Call it "fanatical" or call it OCD, but I tasted some pretty awful brews as a result of messed up timing.

In my cup - Linn-Shee (Fir Creek) High Mountain Green Oolong from Teahome. 3rd steep, gongfu'ed, timed to precision. Great tea, surprisingly toasty for its green looks.
I'll try that one later this afternoon since I have my sample here! Don't forget to also post your thoughts on the Box Pass thread!

Jul 12th, '08, 13:06

by andycr512 » Jul 12th, '08, 13:06

I usually use a timer, but at the very least watch the clock.

I'm really not sure what's in my cup today. I'm running low on tea, and found a re-used, unlabeled canister in the back of my tea bin filled with a nondescript-but-slightly-flowery-smelling OP grade black tea inside. After having it, I'm almost certain it was a fairly decent Keemun.

Jul 12th, '08, 13:11

by kymidwife » Jul 12th, '08, 13:11

augie wrote:You're not Bellatrix Lestrange, are you? I'm trying to put together a Halloween Costume. The hair is the toughest part. If you're still in Dallas you have to go to Babe's Chicken Dinner House! http://www.babeschicken.com/
I am not Bellatrix... no wig, and the red hair just doesn't work for her. I am mostly a Gryffindor good witch, probably a Weasley... maybe a younger and taller version of Molly. But... just to be rebellious... and step outside my comfort zone... I am a part-time undercover sexpot Deatheater. I'll try to get a picture tonight!

As for Babe's, I would love to go out and try it. BUT I doubt I will be making many excursions out of the hotel. Sadly, with the price of gasoline, taxi fare is unbelievable. I paid close to 30 bucks EACH WAY to go to the Galleria yesterday... and since I have a date scheduled there with Auggy on Sunday, that will likely be the only other trip I make outside the hotel.

I look forward to the next HP conference because it is in Chicago, downtown, so there's lots to do within walking distance. This taxi crap is totally ridiculous. Makes me wanna wave my wand. :twisted:

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Jul 12th, '08, 13:18

by Salsero » Jul 12th, '08, 13:18

RussianSoul wrote:In my cup - Linn-Shee (Fir Creek) High Mountain Green Oolong from Teahome. 3rd steep, gongfu'ed, timed to precision. Great tea, surprisingly toasty for its green looks.
I found this to be quite an interesting tea myself, though I'm not sure I am as head over heels as you -- especially given your avatar's constant enthusiasm for everything!

Initially, I found an aroma of raisins or dates, but a taste that reminded me of freshwater lakes in northern Minnesota. By the third infusion I was thinking fruity and smelling of butter, with an aftertaste that reminded me again (like the initial aroma) of sweet and dark fruits. I also found it a bit rough on my mouth throughout, but not enough to gripe exactly. Maybe I brewed it too strong: 5.0 grams in 6 oz warmed mug, off boil, 3 m, 4 m, 6 m, 8 m, 10 m, 20 m, 30 m +. The very long final steep was worth doing.

As you say, an interesting tea, and it seems more toasty than you expect, even though TeaHome calls it Light fermentation, extra-light roast . I guess their green style must be the virtually not roasted.

Jul 12th, '08, 13:29

by Geekgirl » Jul 12th, '08, 13:29

Hmmm, most of the time I guestimate, and I have been known to wander off from a brewing pot of oolong, and come back 20 minutes later when I remember. :shock: Kids, don't try this with sencha.

I usually set a timer though, for things that need to steep more than 2 minutes because that's when I'm most likely to forget and wander off.

Jul 12th, '08, 14:04

by Dr. Eel » Jul 12th, '08, 14:04

depends on the tea, mainly. if its a new one, i'll usually glance at my watch. if i'm comfortable with it, though, i usually just go by intuition and take a big wiff of the brewing process before i pour to make sure it smells about right. though the smelling process can be deceiving with stronger teas...

btw, nice pic today, salsero

Jul 12th, '08, 14:13

by Cinnamon Kitty » Jul 12th, '08, 14:13

I like my timer. It gets used for almost all of my teas, especially Japanese Greens. The main teas that I don't time are Rooibos, Honeybush, herbals, and the occasional gong-fu session. The last time I gong-fued a nice Dan Cong, I just counted in my head for the steeps and it came out delicious. I found that it was more enjoyable without the harsh beeping of my timer.

No tea yet today. I woke up late and it was very hot so I am planning on making something to put over ice shortly.

Jul 12th, '08, 15:11

by olivierco » Jul 12th, '08, 15:11

Now drinking rooibos to end a nice six tea Teaday.

Jul 12th, '08, 15:11

by Chip » Jul 12th, '08, 15:11

I time my tea by the number of flips Russian Souls panda does. :lol:

I have a bit of a timer fetish I think. Why have one when I can have MORE...

I also started using the Count Up feature instead of the BLEEPIN' timer that totally ruins the the ambiance created by brewing tea. I am actually finding this much more relaxing and I am more focused on the tea instead of beeping noise...helps me block out the world that the beeping timer is a part of.

Still, I am pretty fanatical about timing since I drink mainly Japanese teas which will reward a wayward brewer with stewed collard greens tea otherwise.

I had a Korean green early called Chigarok from Hankook...a sample from the Expo. This is a blend of steamed and pan fired greens. Korean greens are sooo expensive. This sample would retail for around 50 bucks per 100 grams...I don't see myself paying that when there are great alternatives costing a fraction of this.

Last of O-Cha's Fukamushi Supreme with some Hatsumi to make a full session.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jul 12th, '08, 15:18

by Chip » Jul 12th, '08, 15:18

kymidwife wrote: Still in Dallas at the Harry Potter convention.... I wish I had not come alone, it is rather lonely to be here and not know anyone, and everyone is rather clique-ish... but I am enjoying myself nonetheless. I got in trouble with Hotel Security last night for wearing my Deatheater Mask in the lobby (they TOLD us it was OK to wear costumes). Apparently they consider this a security risk because they can't see my face, even though I have a conference ID badge on. I wonder how they are going to handle the Masquerade Ball tonight.

Sarah
To quote tenuki...no pictures, it didn't happen!!!! 8)
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jul 12th, '08, 15:18

by Zodduska » Jul 12th, '08, 15:18

I voted eyeball it since there wasnt really one for counting in my head. I have used timers for longer steep times (1-2min+) but lately I've been using more leaf and shorter steeps 20-40sec, so by the time I set a timer it's almost ready to pour.

No tea yet but today feels like it might be a Sencha day. :shock: