Tuesday TeaDay 7/15/08 Tea vendor fanatic?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

How fanatical are you about where you buy your TEA?

Pretty fanatical
No votes
I am probably fanatical
No votes
Not very fanatical
No votes
I buy at the dollar store...or wherever
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 0

Jul 15th, '08, 10:54

by geeber1 » Jul 15th, '08, 10:54

Maybe we should all charter a jet and head to Trey's ASAP!

I voted fanatical, because I have become really spoiled since switching from grocery store tea. I don't even like to get tea in restaurants now because it usually tastes nasty. (Except our local Chinese restaurant, which has pretty good oolong!)

Iced Ginger Peach today, love this stuff!

Jul 15th, '08, 11:10
Scrolling: scrolling

by Geekgirl » Jul 15th, '08, 11:10

Yeah, I've gone all picky. Just call me Mrs Picky-pants. I'm happy though, because the New Seasons by my office just started carrying Ito-En iced tea last week. I walk over there for lunch several days a week, and now my lunch will cost $1.69 more each day. :lol:

Jul 15th, '08, 11:34

by witches brew » Jul 15th, '08, 11:34

If fanatical equates to buying tea from merchants who specialize in tea, then I am probably fanatical. I have ordered tea directly from Japan and I frequent the best merchants that NYC has to offer. It's all about quality.

Before moving to the Aerie, I even grew many of my own herbs for tisanes. I miss that, but in a few years I will be back in a place where I can garden.
Brewing joy, happiness and green tea, like any good TeaWitch should!

Jul 15th, '08, 11:43

by Trey Winston » Jul 15th, '08, 11:43

Wow! Thanks, everyone, for the overwhelming response to my amateurish efforts in the realm of photography. I'm blushing here. :oops:

Yep, that's the view from the terrace where I sometimes set up lunch. The real view is a bit obscured in this pic.

Salsero: Writing "Nørwåy" instead of Norway is just me being silly. For people who are new to Norwegian, the "ø" and the "å" look like letters from some Martian alphabet. I even think Jerry Seinfeld had a joke about the poor "Ø" years ago. (For completion, Norwegians call their country "Norge", pronounced with a hard r and a hard g.)

Jul 15th, '08, 11:46

by Buzz Fledderjohn » Jul 15th, '08, 11:46

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:Yeah, I've gone all picky. Just call me Mrs Picky-pants. I'm happy though, because the New Seasons by my office just started carrying Ito-En iced tea last week. I walk over there for lunch several days a week, and now my lunch will cost $1.69 more each day. :lol:
$1.69 :shock: The Korean deli across the street from me sells it for $2.99. Needless to say, I have yet to buy a bottle...but I do love the Ito-En.

Jul 15th, '08, 12:02
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jul 15th, '08, 12:02

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:
GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:Yeah, I've gone all picky. Just call me Mrs Picky-pants. I'm happy though, because the New Seasons by my office just started carrying Ito-En iced tea last week. I walk over there for lunch several days a week, and now my lunch will cost $1.69 more each day. :lol:
$1.69 :shock: The Korean deli across the street from me sells it for $2.99. Needless to say, I have yet to buy a bottle...but I do love the Ito-En.
You have a Korean Deli just across the street? :shock:

My first brew this morning was an unremarkable Red Tea from Jing. Hoping to brew up something much nicer here at work in a minute.

Have a nice day everyone!

Jul 15th, '08, 12:29

by augie » Jul 15th, '08, 12:29

Auggy, happy to hear about your cat. Sometimes they need to hide away and heal themselves. I had one cat, years ago, whom we could not find for days at a time. No idea where she went. Fireworks might have stressed her out! I have a 1/2 bag of very expensive bland Rx diet to blend into the regular food now. :P

I guess I am fanatical? I have onely ordered from 3 vendors more than once. I like to know what I am getting, however, the cynical part of me knows that vendors get ripped off too and they are certainly not going to tell me they're trying to pass off a load of crap that someone dumped on them.

Trey Wilson: We are all coming over for tea this evening. Clean the house and get ready for a big party.

Jul 15th, '08, 12:36

by auggy » Jul 15th, '08, 12:36

augie wrote:Auggy, happy to hear about your cat. Sometimes they need to hide away and heal themselves. I had one cat, years ago, whom we could not find for days at a time. No idea where she went. Fireworks might have stressed her out! I have a 1/2 bag of very expensive bland Rx diet to blend into the regular food now. :P
Thanks! I'm thinking (and hoping) that the steroid shot from yesterday did the trick to stimulate her appetite. If she doesn't keep eating, she's gonna get another one! And more IV fluids! She was in really good spirits and very purry this morning, but standing so long while she was eating pretty much wiped her out. She's got a lot of weakness in her back legs. :( But as long as she is happy and eating, I'm happy!

Jul 15th, '08, 12:42

by olivierco » Jul 15th, '08, 12:42

Darjeeling Phuguri FGTFOP1 right now.

Jul 15th, '08, 12:42

by Tea na » Jul 15th, '08, 12:42

HI, I am too new to be fanatical, but once I get through all my other stuff I will probably become fanatical. I have a lot of Adagio tea (I ordered the tea of the month - What fun!), so I'm "partially" fanatical...ha!

Had Assam Medley this morning, having "liquid gold" from Teavana right now (silver needles, jasmine pearls, and one other I can't remember). My daughter gave me some sort of stomach thing, so I'm hoping this will help.

Glad the kitty is better!!! OH, and I'll go to Norway too!

Have a wonderful Tea Day!!!

Tea Na
Tea-Na

Jul 15th, '08, 12:47

by tenuki » Jul 15th, '08, 12:47

Trey Winston wrote: Image
Awesome.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Jul 15th, '08, 12:49

by tenuki » Jul 15th, '08, 12:49

Katrina wrote:Wenshan Baochong this morning. And, Tenuki, you were 100% right. I can't believe I wasted any of this on western brewing methods. Gongfu only from here on out.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Jul 15th, '08, 12:59

by henley » Jul 15th, '08, 12:59

Put the kettle on the stove, Trey. We're all headed to your place for tea! Wow!!! If the view wasn't tempting enough, you've also got my favorite dark cherries. :D Yummy!

Auggy - Your ordering process sounds a lot like mine. Sometimes it would be nice if one vendor carried everything I like! :lol: Yeah, riiight... but it sure would save on shipping costs (& time :roll: ). I've got about 3 or 4 vendors from whom I regularly order. After the Oolong Box Pass gets here, I may be adding new vendors to my list, though...

In my cup today is Adagio's Wuyi Ensemble. I've really enjoyed this one & look to order more when my sample runs out. It's been interesting learning about Wuyi & where it originated.

BTW, for anyone who like archetectural style photos, check out this shot. It was taken while we were on our buying trip looking down the escalators. Plus there's this one of damage done when the tornado hit downtown Atlanta back in April. We were surprised the windows weren't boarded up like the other buildings waiting repair.

Jul 15th, '08, 13:12

by Catsgurleygirl » Jul 15th, '08, 13:12

Well, I think I am extremely fanatical. Grocery stores no way, fancy gourmet stores--meh. Even on the internet where I thought I was getting good quality from reputable sources--it has just been decent. I have to say, the best place I bought tea to date is Todd and Holland--yes they are super expensive. So expensive that I try to shop around every time before I order from them and just see if maybe there are better deals and when I do order from some place else, I am always disappointed somewhat. Now I hope I have learned my lesson. I have five different 100g teas in my cabinet right now that are okay to nice, and I am kicking myself because I would rather have 2 teas that knock my socks off than five that don't. I hate it because now I feel like I need to drink what I bought and just wait a few months to buy some more "of the good stuff", but frankly, I don't want to--yet how can I justify oh, yes DH, I know I just spent a 100.00 on tea, but it was just okay so I am going to spend another 125.00. Yeah, um suck it up and drink it!!!--that's what I am going to keep telling myself until it's gone (stay strong...stay strong....stay strong). Mind you it's not bad at all, it's just not what I have been spoiled on from Todd and Holland.

Jul 15th, '08, 13:47

by geeber1 » Jul 15th, '08, 13:47

Henley, that's a beautiful arrangement. I like the little dianthus flowers!

That escalator pic is a cool composition ... but it made me dizzy!