Monday 7/21/08 Number of teaware pieces increased?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Still annual TeaCheckup. Has the number of teaware pieces significantly increased since last year?

YES...I went TeaWare crazy this past year
15%
Yes, most definitely
21%
Yes, I think so, buit not by that much
19%
No, I am about where I was last year with only very few aquisitions
19%
I am a newbie and I have a teaware problem since starting, YES
9%
I am a newbie with a significant teaware increase since starting
9%
I am a newbie with little or no teaware increase since starting
8%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 53

Jul 21st, '08, 09:27

by kymidwife » Jul 21st, '08, 09:27

Insomnia was expensive last night. I ordered 2 yixing pots and made orders from SpecialTeas... plus I have an order from New Mexico Tea Company enroute.

I couldn't help it, my unflavored oolongs are almost completely gone. :shock:

Started out this morning with a cup of Bond Street English Breakfast from Upton's... it's nice, a good basic black, and better than other English Breakfast blends I've tried in the past. I have s'more for iced tea later... it has that classic iced tea flavor to me, so I think it will be good.

Next up, I think I'll get out the fukamushi supreme... I have the day off today, and it will be nice to enjoy that tea several times as I aimlessly wander the house pretending to get things done. In all seriousness, I have to replace some recessed lights in my ceiling or soon I will be brewing by flashlight. I think they are all burnt out but 2. I hate changing those, my ceilings are SO high I have to use that suction cup thingie on a long pole.

Where is a reliable man when you need one? He could earn a 2nd paycheck for the household, change these lightbulbs, brew me some tea, kill bugs, and ummm other important manly functions I won't name. I don't mind being single really, but sometimes a man could be so useful... and I would warmly demonstrate my appreciation! :lol:

Sorry, not enough sleep, I'm babbling.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Jul 21st, '08, 10:29

by chamekke » Jul 21st, '08, 10:29

Pentox wrote:On the note of finding tea ceremony wares, do you have any suggestions on a hearth heater? I forget the Japanese name for it.
Are you talking about a furo? If so, I don't have any specific recommendations... in fact, I'm looking for some myself.

Just to clarify (in case Pentox and I are talking about two different things, and to save general mystification) ... a furo is what supports the round kettle (okama) in the following photograph:

Right now I'm not actively searching for one because, to quote CynTEAa, storage is an issue for me. But when I do buy a furo, it will have to be the electrically powered type. Ventilation too would be an issue with charcoal fumes, in my small apartment...

Jul 21st, '08, 10:49

by Katrina » Jul 21st, '08, 10:49

Went with L'u An instead of Red Robe first. And my friend joined me for tea...

Shaping up to be a loopy morning around here.

Jul 21st, '08, 11:20

by Tea na » Jul 21st, '08, 11:20

kymidwife wrote:
Where is a reliable man when you need one? He could earn a 2nd paycheck for the household, change these lightbulbs, brew me some tea, kill bugs, and ummm other important manly functions I won't name. I don't mind being single really, but sometimes a man could be so useful... and I would warmly demonstrate my appreciation! :lol:

Sorry, not enough sleep, I'm babbling.

Sarah
All the lightbulbs burned out in my bedroom. I asked my husband to change them, but we are out of regular light bulbs, so he put ONE "kitchen" bulb (different kind, sort of outdoorsy) in the ceiling fan and left the glass piece off. Then he went out of town for a week......looks like if I want the job done right.....ha! So we're both going to have to fight with lightbulbs....time for more tea.....

Good luck!
Tina
Tea-Na

Jul 21st, '08, 11:23

by Tea na » Jul 21st, '08, 11:23

So far I don't have any special tea ware. I have coffee cups that match my dishes (pathetic huh?). I have an IngenuiTea and a glass pot for brewing. Guess its time I go shopping!!!!

Have a great Tea Day!
Tina

Edit - Having Assam Medley this morning, but I might go shopping for an Oolong sample....so much good press..... :wink:

Jul 21st, '08, 11:50
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jul 21st, '08, 11:50

This morning's cup - Goomtee Estate, 2nd Flush, FTGFOP1

Hummm this Darjeeling tastes like a Ceylon, and an average one at that.

Have a nice day everyone!

Jul 21st, '08, 11:52

by Carnelian » Jul 21st, '08, 11:52

Lets see, a year ago I had an ingenuitea, a white porcelain pot, a stovetop kettle and seven tea cups. Since then I've gotten the larger ingenuitea, a glass english style pot, a glass kyusu, a gaiwan, a silver teapot, a portable tea brewing thermos thing, an electric kettle, one of the tea leaf presentation vessels, six more cups, and I'm waiting on the arrival of a set with another gaiwan, six cups, and a tea pitcher.

I think thats a little teaware crazy.
Life is like a cup of tea, savor it slowly or it will be gone too fast

Jul 21st, '08, 12:09

by Carnelian » Jul 21st, '08, 12:09

Minor correction, about five minutes since my last post the package I've been waiting on arrived. Its the portable set from yunnan sourcing (http://cgi.ebay.com/Yellow-Dragon-Porta ... m153.l1262 only its white). And it is super cute, not as small as I expected, but small nonetheless.
Life is like a cup of tea, savor it slowly or it will be gone too fast

Jul 21st, '08, 12:12

by augie » Jul 21st, '08, 12:12

hop_goblin wrote:BOY HAVE THEY EVER!!
I do worry about you when you post pictures . . .
Hop, you are in serious danger, between the teaware and your pu stash, of being used by a single, tea-loving hottie. Be careful, you may wake up some morning to look for your date only to find it all . . . disappeared. Make sure you have a "tea rider" added onto your insurance.

I have bought a little, but I have a very small house so I have nowhere to put it. I live vicariously viewing "Show off your pots and cups".

Jul 21st, '08, 12:19

by Pentox » Jul 21st, '08, 12:19

chamekke wrote:
Pentox wrote:On the note of finding tea ceremony wares, do you have any suggestions on a hearth heater? I forget the Japanese name for it.
Are you talking about a furo? If so, I don't have any specific recommendations... in fact, I'm looking for some myself.

Just to clarify (in case Pentox and I are talking about two different things, and to save general mystification) ... a furo is what supports the round kettle (okama) in the following photograph:

Right now I'm not actively searching for one because, to quote CynTEAa, storage is an issue for me. But when I do buy a furo, it will have to be the electrically powered type. Ventilation too would be an issue with charcoal fumes, in my small apartment...
I actually have the furo and the okama, I just need an electric heater to not use charcoal. I have the same issues as you for using charcoal.

Jul 21st, '08, 13:11

by omegapd » Jul 21st, '08, 13:11

Just finished up my 7th infusion of 3g of Adagio Dante Pu. It's definitely spent now, but was fun while it lasted. 8)

EW

Jul 21st, '08, 13:40

by henley » Jul 21st, '08, 13:40

CynTEAa wrote:
Trey Winston wrote:I'm trying to not get bitten by the teaware bug, which is hard, what with all the pictures on Teachat and Salsero's daily masterpieces and so on. So far I've been successful, and spent my money on tea instead of fired clay. But the need is getting stronger... <twitch>
I'm soooo bitten. But storage is an issue so I'm trying to behave. <twitch>
Lotta <twitches> around this place...including here! Teaware came before tea for me so it's always been a weakness of mine. Most of my teaware is housed in a small antique server but some pieces have spilled over to a shelf in the kitchen cabinets. Then there's the pieces in the china cabinet... Then there's the pieces hanging on the wall... So between already owning several pieces & storage issues, haven't added a lot in the past year. Just a few cups & saucers that I've either purchased or received as gifts.

Had Assam Melody w/bfast this morning. This was a favorite tea until trying the Golden Monkey yesterday. Between the two, the Golden Monkey has a much richer flavor that I prefer. Enjoyed more iced White Peach w/lunch today. It complimented a home-grown tomato sandwich quite nicely! :D

Jul 21st, '08, 14:32

by Victoria » Jul 21st, '08, 14:32

This afternoon I'm back to some nice oolong -

Teahome Golden Lily from the oolong box pass.

Jul 21st, '08, 14:34

by TimeforTea » Jul 21st, '08, 14:34

I'm a newbie and have been disciplined with my teaware purchases.

Today I had Oolong #40. I am looking forward to having this one iced shortly.

Jul 21st, '08, 14:40

by Chip » Jul 21st, '08, 14:40

I seem to procrastinate a lot about teaware purchases, which in my case is a very good thing. I initially see a bunch of teaware I want, but if I procrastinate long enough, it passes. But I still have weak moments.

But I do love to shop. :lol:

Adagio Yunnan Gold earlier. I prefer their Keemun, more my style. But this is a really interesting black tea.

And now my fave sencha, Yutaka Midori...soooo rich tasting. Almost gyokuro like, but still sencha enough for me to crave it all the time. I wonder if I brewed it really low like gyokuro...hmmm.

I need to brew iced tea.......
Last edited by Chip on Jun 24th, '09, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.