Wednesday teaDay 8/06/08 Black Tea, do you drink it?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Black Tea, do you drink it, and is there a particular time of the day you set aside for Black Tea?

Yes, all day
8%
Yes, especially in the morning
53%
Yes, especially in the afternoon or evening
4%
Yes, no particular special time though
12%
I will drink it on occasion
20%
No I do not
4%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 51

Aug 6th, '08, 09:37

by Riene » Aug 6th, '08, 09:37

Nice chataku, Salsero!
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty

Aug 6th, '08, 09:45
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Aug 6th, '08, 09:45

Riene wrote:Nice chataku, Salsero!
Thank you Geekgirl, Reine, Chip, and of course Olivierco. This was one of a set that Olivierco stumbled on in his constant teaware hunting and offered me the chance to trade something for it. I offered the cup he displayed a few days ago, he accepted and the rest is history. The photo really doesn't do the coaster justice. It is magnificent, you have to hold it.

Maybe we should start a chataku passbox.

Aug 6th, '08, 10:00

by RussianSoul » Aug 6th, '08, 10:00

Salsero wrote:...Maybe we should start a chataku passbox.
Very dangerous thought!

Aug 6th, '08, 10:06

by joelbct » Aug 6th, '08, 10:06

Usually Black Tea in the morning, though occasionally I'll go with sencha or matcha in the AM instead.

I have taken to brewing two large mugs in the morning (~22oz total), and leaving one to cool to room temperature and drinking that around 1 or 2 after lunch. Some Black tea's, particularly good full Assam, Ceylon, Yunnan, etc, taste delicious at room temp..

Sort of like how good red wine is best at room temperature, because that allows your taste buds to fully experience it... whereas hot or chilled, there is a little less room for sensory perception...

Anyway enjoy your tea days i'm late for work!

Aug 6th, '08, 10:14

by auggy » Aug 6th, '08, 10:14

I drink some black tea, but only in the morning as a nice little wake up. None this morning, however.

Aug 6th, '08, 10:30

by Aphroditea » Aug 6th, '08, 10:30

I very rarely have black tea after the AM. But, I don't always start my day with it - just usually :) I have some favorites, like Yunnan Gold and Darjeeling, but I like to mix it up and so don't have any particular morning tea routine.

In my cup: Nothing :(

Caffeine before physical therapy = bad mojo :shock:

Aug 6th, '08, 10:33

by shogun89 » Aug 6th, '08, 10:33

I am a big tea drinker in the afternoon and night. I dont know why but I dont enjoy tea as much in the morning.

Aug 6th, '08, 10:58

by henley » Aug 6th, '08, 10:58

RussianSoul wrote:
Salsero wrote:...Maybe we should start a chataku passbox.
Very dangerous thought!
Extremely dangerous! I could get into these things! Have no idea what I'd do w/them but I really like them.

Either black tea or a dark oolong starts my day. As much as I like pouchong & some other lighter teas, they just don't seem right w/bfast. Teas that follow for the rest of the day depend on my mood at that particular time.

Golden Monkey w/bfast this morning & for hubby, made a 4th steep of the Aged Nan Tou that was started last night. He reeeally liked this tea. Just got to figure out how to get more of it or something similar. :?:

Aug 6th, '08, 11:02

by chamekke » Aug 6th, '08, 11:02

Salsero wrote:This was one of a set that Olivierco stumbled on in his constant teaware hunting and offered me the chance to trade something for it. I offered the cup he displayed a few days ago, he accepted and the rest is history. The photo really doesn't do the coaster justice. It is magnificent, you have to hold it.

Maybe we should start a chataku passbox.
Hmm. We furriners can't take part in these passbox campaigns, can we? That would knock out at least two of the biggest potential sources of chataku :wink: Anyway, there's always the swap thread.

Your yunomi/chataku photograph is stunning, Salsero! The mirror underneath shows them off beautifully.

Hubby often makes me a cup of PG Tips first thing in the morning, and that's about the only time I've been drinking black tea (aside from the very occasional cup of Birthday Tea in the evening). However, I'm developing a liking for Yunnan Gold.

Aug 6th, '08, 11:33

by xine » Aug 6th, '08, 11:33

hey all! black tea in the morning...usually golden monkey or earl grey. Only about 2 cups or so otherwise someone will go nuts (me).

Aug 6th, '08, 11:37

by Angela Justice » Aug 6th, '08, 11:37

Love the chataku.

I like black tea particularly high grades of Keemun, with beautiful small perfect hand rolled leaves that smell like chocolate and crushed orchids.

Also enjoy Yunnan Gold it's a classic - rich and malty.

Have moments where I am called to First Flush Darjeelings. I love our Spring Darjeeling at Adagio this year which comes from the biodynamic Sungma estate.

Have also had really delicious frost teas from Nilgiri that were light, lemony and haunting.

In my mind I think of Puerh as separate from most black teas, but I should probably mention I have a small collection of bing cha, mushrooms, 1962 and 1982 basket aged loose puerh, tiny tuocha. I rarely add items to the collection, but those I have I really enjoy when the moment strikes me. Usually save them to share with "serious tea people" when they come to visit me at home.

Aug 6th, '08, 12:34

by Chip » Aug 6th, '08, 12:34

Black tea in the morning or none at all ... has to be the first tea of the day or it will NOT happen. Usually only feel like one steep. The only exception could be if I am out to eat or similar.

Today, started with Adagio Darjeeling. I have moved on to Aracha. Aracha is a bit of an enigme for me, but it is good.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Aug 6th, '08, 12:54

Does anyone like Rose Black Tea?

by Angela Justice » Aug 6th, '08, 12:54

This is a version from China. Sweet, fragrant, not by any means a rare exclusive tea, but definitely a crowd pleaser. Amazing iced or chilled!

Aug 6th, '08, 13:11

by Pentox » Aug 6th, '08, 13:11

I'm a big fan of a nice darjeeling in the morning. Makes me wish I had some right now. Which I don't. Dang.

Aug 6th, '08, 13:19

by Geekgirl » Aug 6th, '08, 13:19

I do drink black tea sometimes, after all, I started with that years ago. Mostly I use it for iced tea. Unless, of course, you are counting puerh as "black" tea. The chinese do! :wink:

In my cup this morning, puerh, a cooked loose leaf from NCTG.

Well it WAS in my cup...

:lol: