Tuesday TeaDay 8/12/08 Tea selection, how long?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

How long does it take for you to pick out your next tea to drink on average?

A few seconds
42%
At least a minute
23%
Up to a few minutes
23%
Up to 10 minutes
No votes
Longer than 10 minutes
8%
Other
6%

Total votes: 53

Aug 12th, '08, 10:29

by xine » Aug 12th, '08, 10:29

a few seconds, usually I have a routine depending on the type of day, or there is something I've been thinking about making out already.

today i have some nilgiri from cynthia...3 minute steeped as per her direction. :)

Aug 12th, '08, 10:33

by auggy » Aug 12th, '08, 10:33

I chose "at least a minute" but only because it takes me more than a few seconds. Usually the more I am trying to use up my opened teas, the longer it takes me.

Ginger peach tea today. And can everyone keep my friend in mind.... she's had/having scans today and will find out results Thursday. We are all praying for stage 3 cancer - not stage 4.

Aug 12th, '08, 11:04

by chamekke » Aug 12th, '08, 11:04

auggy - I will definitely pray for your friend. I really hope the cancer is fully treatable.

Re: the poll, like auggy, I'm usually somewhere between "a few seconds" and "a minute".

But right now I'm getting low on teas, so that makes it much easier to make a decision. So I voted for "a few seconds"... nicely balancing auggy's vote :)

Must post to the show-and-tell thread today. I received my green Eilong gaiwan set from TeaCentre yesterday; their shipping was very quick! The set is beautiful, but the spouted gaiwan has a distinctly blueish cast to it - especially the lid. Quite pretty, just unexpected. Perhaps this is where the "Blue Pearl" name comes from (one or two sellers call it this, while Hou De calls it "Crystalline Emerald"!).

Aug 12th, '08, 11:53

by Jack_teachat » Aug 12th, '08, 11:53

I tend to only have a few open at once so it never really takes me long to decide! Not that it is their fault but rather my own impatience; I am slightly annoyed that my order from Jing UK didn't arrive this morning, although the fact that it has been dispatched will surely mean it will arrive tommorow!?! :oops:

Started the day with some Chun Mee and had some O-cha Gyokuro Kame Giru-Shi after lunch. Will probably have some Fukamushi Shincha supreme later.... :!: that reminds me, must put in an order for some more Japanese green.

Jack :D

Aug 12th, '08, 13:01
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Aug 12th, '08, 13:01

I can spend a few minutes deciding what tea is next. It used to take longer when I would have more open. Often times, the choice is automatic, but as the day progresses, it seems to take longer.

Adagio Darjeeling earlier. Sitting here, I have already decided on O-Cha Fukamushi Supreme will be next ... in part thanx to Jack_teachat ... which is right now >>>
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Aug 12th, '08, 13:09

by witches brew » Aug 12th, '08, 13:09

It takes me a minute or so to decide, especially in the morning. The dialogue in my head goes something like this.

I'd like genmaicha this morning.

You always say that.

OK, let me think....

(Faint sound of gears whirring).

....I suppose I could finish that sample of (insert random tea here).

Yes, I think in Indigo

I am trying to simplify my tea collection. I probably have fifteen teas open, including samples. I really want a few select teas, and nothing more. Because the reality is, I DO like genmaicha in the morning.

Right now, I am enjoying a FF Darjeeling. Actually, I'm totally buzzed from it. This new batch has quite a punch to it.
Brewing joy, happiness and green tea, like any good TeaWitch should!

Aug 12th, '08, 13:20

by Salsero » Aug 12th, '08, 13:20

witches brew wrote: The dialogue in my head goes something like this ...
Right now, I am enjoying a FF Darjeeling. Actually, I'm totally buzzed from it. This new batch has quite a punch to it.
Chip,
Could you move this to the standup comic thread :lol: . Too funny witches brew! That Darj sounds great, as does the buzz. Where's it from?

Aug 12th, '08, 13:35

by rodstnmn » Aug 12th, '08, 13:35

chamekke wrote:received my green Eilong gaiwan set from TeaCentre yesterday;
Was the set you received #CM003-G? Just wanted to make sure I was looking at what you have.

Aug 12th, '08, 13:43

by doyoulovedee » Aug 12th, '08, 13:43

i agree... i have way too much opened tea to make a quick decision. my morning tea is usually my least favourite black, just so i can get rid of it, and let myself open up all the new stuff sitting in my cupboard.

then when that's gone, i can finally do tea shopping again.

Aug 12th, '08, 15:28

by auggy » Aug 12th, '08, 15:28

Just got a call - looks like my friends cancer is stage 4.

Not cool. :(

Aug 12th, '08, 15:28

by chamekke » Aug 12th, '08, 15:28

rodstnmn wrote:
chamekke wrote:received my green Eilong gaiwan set from TeaCentre yesterday;
Was the set you received #CM003-G? Just wanted to make sure I was looking at what you have.
No, it was GC002. I chose it because it matches (sort of) the standard-style gaiwan in the same line that I bought from Hou De last month.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Aug 12th, '08, 15:30

by jewelbug » Aug 12th, '08, 15:30

Salsero--Pretty pic today--great colors!

I said "at least a minute," but in reality it falls somewhere between a few seconds and a minute. Sometimes I know exactly I want before I put the water on, but sometimes I need to go through and sniff things to decide what I'm in the mood for. I have many teas open--don't even want to count--and some of them are older than they probably should be, so the flavors aren't as fresh/strong. You see, I'm a hoarder by nature, so I'll use all but one brew's worth of tea and then convince myself that I need to "save it in case I really need that later." I know, I know, totally illogical, yes? I'm trying to break myself of this trend.

Lately, I'm trying to finish off a lot of my older samples either early in the morning (before I'm awake enough to appreciate the higher quality ones) or in various iced tea concoctions. In the past 2 days I've finished off the dregs of 5-6 adagio sample tins, so I think I'm doing well. ;) I need to get my open teas down to a more managable number for my sanity's sake.

This morning I tried adagio's nepal first flush. I enjoyed it, but couldn't believe it was a black tea.

Now I've moved onto a blooming display tea. The show was fun, but the taste is uninspiring. I think I'll dump this and try something else. Maybe some dragonwell?

witches brew--thanks for making me giggle!

Aug 12th, '08, 15:31

by chamekke » Aug 12th, '08, 15:31

auggy wrote:Just got a call - looks like my friends cancer is stage 4.

Oh, I'm so sorry, auggy! {hug}

(I learned on Sunday afternoon that my uncle has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. We are anxiously waiting to learn more about the staging. His doctor thinks it's not too widespread yet, but we won't know for sure until later.)

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Aug 12th, '08, 15:38

by jewelbug » Aug 12th, '08, 15:38

chamekke wrote:
auggy wrote:Just got a call - looks like my friends cancer is stage 4.

Oh, I'm so sorry, auggy! {hug}

(I learned on Sunday afternoon that my uncle has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. We are anxiously waiting to learn more about the staging. His doctor thinks it's not too widespread yet, but we won't know for sure until later.)
auggy and chemekke--keeping both of you and your friends and family in my thoughts! I'm sorry.

Aug 12th, '08, 15:38

by Salsero » Aug 12th, '08, 15:38

auggy wrote: Just got a call - looks like my friends cancer is stage 4.
Sorry to hear that Auggy.