Sunday TeaDay 8/17/08 Black tea, multible steeping?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Do you resteep black tea?

Yes I resteep black teas
32%
Sometimes I resteep black teas
32%
No, I do not resteep black teas
33%
I never drink black tea
2%
Other
2%

Total votes: 57

Aug 17th, '08, 08:24

by Riene » Aug 17th, '08, 08:24

Irish Breakfast this morning, and no, I never resteep black teas. I find that the "good" has gone out of them and I get only weak tinted water.

However, I have never tried it with the higher-end teas...hmm.
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty

Aug 17th, '08, 09:10

by henley » Aug 17th, '08, 09:10

Sometimes I resteep my black teas. Depends on how much time I have & which black I'm drinking. Have gotten the best results w/Golden Monkey. Typically I only do 2 steeps (both 3 min) but once I did a 3rd (4 min) & they were all good. I do multiple infusions on just about everything in spite of brewing Western style.

Speaking of Golden Monkey, could use a good cup of it right now. Was up & down all night w/sick kids so I'm dragging this morning. Off to start the kettle. Have a great day! :D

Aug 17th, '08, 09:55

by GalileosDaughter » Aug 17th, '08, 09:55

Only once in a while. It's very rare.

Aug 17th, '08, 11:00

by Selaphiel » Aug 17th, '08, 11:00

I never re-steep black tea, but that is the only tea I never re-steep. It is the only tea I make English style.

Today I had some Milan Dancong oolong after my lunch. That tea never fails with its nice distinct sweet lychee taste.
Gonna have some Shui Xian after dinner.

Aug 17th, '08, 11:25

by jewelbug » Aug 17th, '08, 11:25

I sometimes resteep black teas. I figure its worth a shot, and sometimes it works. If its too weak, I can just pour it out and choose something new.

In the cup currently: Hojicha.

Aug 17th, '08, 11:33

by olivierco » Aug 17th, '08, 11:33

I quite always resteep black tea.
(Usually 2g for 150ml 3 steeps 3 to 4 min)

Kirameki shincha right now. The end of the package is near.

Aug 17th, '08, 11:55

by RussianSoul » Aug 17th, '08, 11:55

I routinely resteep black tea. I found that I do not like the result when I resteep broken leaf, but full leaf black tea is just fine for second and sometimes third infusion. Besides I don't use broken leaf anymore.

In my cup - Buddha's Hand from Tea Cuppa, a gift sample from Salsero. It is only the first steep and I do not have an opinion yet.

Aug 17th, '08, 12:23

by chamekke » Aug 17th, '08, 12:23

I resteep Chinese black teas such as Yunnan Gold. My experience with that one is the same as Jack_teachat - it's usual to get at least 3 good infusions from the leaves, usually 4. And in between, you can spend some time admiring the unfurled leaves. Ahhh... another reason to go off the bag.

I seldom reinfuse other black teas, and almost never in the case of flavoured black teas.

Salsero, yesterday I saw a teapot-and-two-cups set in a consignment store, and it made me think of you because it was just like yours - the famous blue carp! It left me wondering if you had a matching pot ... and thanks to today's pic, I see that you do :)

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Aug 17th, '08, 12:23

by augie » Aug 17th, '08, 12:23

[quote="Wesli"][/quote]

That's one way to get your fiber, Wes! :wink:

I resteep black tea until it's spent usually 1-2 more times. Why, is it bad karma? :shock:

Aug 17th, '08, 13:18

by geeber1 » Aug 17th, '08, 13:18

I don't usually resteep black tea when I'm drinking it hot, since I'm only making one or two cups, but when I make iced tea, I do. I figure that it's better to put weak third infusion tea into the pitcher than plain water to fill it up.

Aug 17th, '08, 13:26
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Aug 17th, '08, 13:26

In my cup this morning AliShan.
Trying to wrap my mind around the thought
of going into work again today.

Aug 17th, '08, 13:32

by MMaas » Aug 17th, '08, 13:32

I don't drink as much black tea, but I've found that Yunnan Gold will easily brew 4-5 times even in a 16oz kyusu (heresy I know). Going with a gaiwan gong fu style can usually squeeze a few more out. Keemun will go 2-3 times in the gaiwan as well.

The Adagio Lapsang Souchong definitely once only, but I wonder whether something like the Yin-Jun-Mei-Souchong would stand up to multiple infusions. Anyone here tried it?

-Mucho

Aug 17th, '08, 14:28

by Geekgirl » Aug 17th, '08, 14:28

No black tea for me today. Usually on the weekends, I make chai to go with the breakfast my husband usually cooks. He is WOW'ing this morning though, so no breakfast, and it is almost noon. :?

BUT... good teas today anyways, AND Matcha the budgie is finally settling in and chirping to me. (No I haven't found his home yet.)

Started the morning with yummy matcha (the tea, not the bird,) in my new teabowl from Rikyu. That place is evil, and hard on the budget. The poppets supervised.

Then I moved on. All the Yutaka'ing over the last day or two had me wishing for some of the great Yutaka Midori, and what better teaware to break out for this than my new Fred Parker lily teabowl.

Yum!

Aug 17th, '08, 14:44

by jewelbug » Aug 17th, '08, 14:44

geeber1 wrote:I don't usually resteep black tea when I'm drinking it hot, since I'm only making one or two cups, but when I make iced tea, I do. I figure that it's better to put weak third infusion tea into the pitcher than plain water to fill it up.
What a great idea! I'm totally stealing that. Thank you.

Now in my glass: Iced ceylon/berry blues mixture.

Aug 17th, '08, 14:52

by Chip » Aug 17th, '08, 14:52

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: Image

Yum!
So, Geek, does the Yutaka Midori sing in your new Fred Parker Lily cup? Looks awesome! My biggest problem with YM, other sencha now taste less flavorful. Even the Fukamushi Supreme, also from O-Cha seems tamer now. But still very good.

Earlier, Adagio BLACK Keemun. I know the leaves have more to offer. I am just usually more in the mood for something green after my obligatory morning black. I used to keep the leaves til evening for a reduced caffeine brew. I may start doing this again.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!