Monday TeaDay 8/18/08 TeaVacation of a lifetime

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Adagio is offering a TeaVacation of a lifetime (not really), all expences paid. Where would you go?

China
27%
India
13%
Japan
54%
Taiwan
7%

Total votes: 56

Aug 18th, '08, 09:45

by augie » Aug 18th, '08, 09:45

I would definately go to Japan. Although I can't say why.

Spain would be fun too, Salsero. My cousin lives in Madrid. However I hable no espanol. :(

Drank way too much tea yesterday! If that's posible. We had company for dinner and fired up the Big Green Egg and went to put the salmon on and realized that it didnt' come home from the grocery store! :shock: We had to have hot dogs, turkey burgers and chicken burgers I dug from the back of the freezer. Oh, I was so embarassed/mad. The guy behind me in line was smiling at me when he left the store. I thought he was being a creep. He was probably happy about the nice dinner he was having for FREE that night! So, I am off to go visit the store now.

Aug 18th, '08, 10:01

by Beanbean » Aug 18th, '08, 10:01

For me, India, no question. My best friend in high school was first generation born of a father from New Delhi. I got THE BEST tea whenever I visited them.

This morning, a deep, dark cuppa Ceylon.

Aug 18th, '08, 10:12
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Aug 18th, '08, 10:12

augie wrote: We had company for dinner and fired up the Big Green Egg ... off to go visit the store now.
1) Have you sold the movie rights to your life yet? :lol:
2) What is The Big Green Egg?

Sorry for your spoiled dinner (boy, have I been there before!), but at least it gave us all a nice chuckle. Thanks.

Aug 18th, '08, 10:18

by laran7 » Aug 18th, '08, 10:18

I went to India a long time ago and became fascinated with the cooking - India's spices and in the last few years I really adopted Darjeeling as my favorite tea.

I admire the oriental culture - but feel less personal connection there.

Aug 18th, '08, 11:09

by auggy » Aug 18th, '08, 11:09

Japan, but honestly, no matter what options I'm given of a place to go, Japan will always win. DH and I have been talking about planning our next trip there - four years is too long! Though it will probably be at least another year before we go. Anyway, I'm sure my love of tea will make bits of the trip more interesting - but tea would not be the main reason I'd go, so I'm not sure how big of a part of the trip it would be.

Almond tea this morning. I'm eying a darjeeling I got this weekend, but am kind of buzzing from this morning's tea already, so I need to be a little decaffeinated before I have some.

Aug 18th, '08, 11:14

by chamekke » Aug 18th, '08, 11:14

Oh! We get to do some non-tea things on our tea-related vacation?

In that case, since I'll be in Japan anyway :D ... I'll also visit assorted temples and museums and gardens, hit as many teaware workshops as I can (that was a tea-related thing I left out), visit the tea plantations (ditto), snarfle up a few vintage kimono and obi at the temple markets and flea markets, go to incense shops ...

Aug 18th, '08, 11:17

by daughteroftheKing » Aug 18th, '08, 11:17

Oolongs from Taiwan and Indian Darjeelings are my favorite teas, but of the 4 travel destinations "offered" I'd definitely choose Japan. Had a great friend and roommate in college from Japan and for several years wanted to go there.
Ah, but my travel dreams are now of Scotland & Italy. 8)

This morning's teas: Flintridge Chai as base for morning smoothie, but it my teacup were 3 steepings (so far) of a delicious Ali Shan.

Sal - thanks for the welcome back Saturday, too.

And I see (rats) that not getting on the computer yesterday meant I missed the multi-steep-black-tea question (although I at least voted this morning!). I definitely steep black teas multiple times - in 2nd flush Darjeeling it's the subtle flavor of the 2nd & 3rd steeps that I especially enjoy.
Last edited by daughteroftheKing on Aug 18th, '08, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 18th, '08, 11:26

by auggy » Aug 18th, '08, 11:26

chamekke wrote:Oh! We get to do some non-tea things on our tea-related vacation?

In that case, since I'll be in Japan anyway :D ... I'll also visit assorted temples and museums and gardens, hit as many teaware workshops as I can (that was a tea-related thing I left out), visit the tea plantations (ditto), snarfle up a few vintage kimono and obi at the temple markets and flea markets, go to incense shops ...
Chamekke, you would have loved my host grandma when I was in Japan. She had this HUGE 7-drawer wardrobe in the tatami room in her house. It was filled to the brim with pre-WW2 kimono. She liked reminiscing with me and she spent a night with me taking out the kimono and showing them to me. She came from a very affluent family and even her "everyday" pre-war kimono that she showed me were gorgeous. She had at least 30 kimono in that wardrobe alone. All the accessories were in the closet in that room, along with some other kimono that were more recent. Sadly, at 18 I didn't appreciate it near as much as I would now.

Aug 18th, '08, 11:28

by Katrina » Aug 18th, '08, 11:28

I chose China because of the range of tea available and the diversity of regions: blacks, greens, oolongs, pu-erh. I think it's mean to even taunt us with such a thing.

Recently, though, I've been more focused on how to get someone to send me on an expedition to check out the tea growing projects in Tuscany. :D Heck, I'd settle for visiting the tea estates in Hawaii.

No tea yet today but I had an awesome tea weekend. Hubby put me in "time out" for the weekend. He took the kids to his parents and sent me to the coast overnight. I knit and drank tea and sat by the beach with a book for 2 days straight. I went to 3 different tea houses. The first only served tea bags (sad), but I had a great Wuyi oolong at the 2nd and Chun Mee at the 3rd.

Crazy thunderstorm hit Saturday afternoon. Here's a photo as it was clearing. And the sunset afterwards was incredible.

(Please PM me if I should be making these smaller. Not sure what works best for people. Don't want to overwhelm.)

Aug 18th, '08, 11:59

by Dizzwave » Aug 18th, '08, 11:59

Like omegapd said, if it's all about the tea, then China. I would love to tour Yunnan, and then come home with a couple of suitcases full of pu-erh.
But, tea notwithstanding.. I left my heart in Japan... :) If it were an onsen, shinkansen, karaoke, Shibuya love hotel (and oh yeah, sencha!) trip, then definitely Japan.

Whoa, Katrina, awesome pictures!

This morning it's the usual Haiwan 9908, segueing into a 2000 Cheng Guang-He Tang sheng pu-erh.
-dave
Last edited by Dizzwave on Aug 18th, '08, 12:01, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 18th, '08, 11:59

by Salsero » Aug 18th, '08, 11:59

auggy wrote: my host grandma when I was in Japan. ~snip~ at 18 I didn't appreciate it near as much as I would now.
Wow, Auggy, what an experience. Chamekke, I'm sure, is turning 10 shades of green now: all the way from Asamushi green to Koicha green. Too bad you didn't get it all on your cell phone camera!
Katrina wrote: Don't want to overwhelm.
Well, you overwhelmed me! Not with size (they worked great, even in IE) but with the beauty. Since we're expectly some blowy weather here in Florida it also helped get me in the mood for dark and spooky skies. Congrats on the great photos and thanks for sharing.

Aug 18th, '08, 12:02

by augie » Aug 18th, '08, 12:02

Katrina wrote:Crazy thunderstorm hit Saturday afternoon. Here's a photo as it was clearing. And the sunset afterwards was incredible.
Wow, how cool. I love watching thunderstorms blow up like that. Our neighbors think we're nuts, standing outside in the driveway, looking at the clouds until it pours rain. You just need to get back in the house and take cover when the sky turns GREEN.
That 2nd picture is so cool. Looks like you used a filter, even thoug the sky did everything for you.
Salsero wrote:1) Have you sold the movie rights to your life yet?
Yeah, would that be more like Monty Python's Flying Circus
OR
Sweeney Todd???
I think I'd have to pay people to sit and take it.
Salsero wrote:2) What is The Big Green Egg?
http://www.biggreenegg.com/

Haven't tried tea smoked duck yet . . .

Aug 18th, '08, 12:14

by xine » Aug 18th, '08, 12:14

witches brew wrote:I would go to Japan, tour all the famous potteries, spend some time in Kyoto, spend more time in the countryside staying at small inns, visiting gardens and temples.

Since this is a fantasy vacation courtesy of Adagio, I would impose shamelessly upon all their contacts in the tea business, and visit tea companies and farms in Uji.
hehe, if only we were having such a sweepstakes..imagine? Maybe I'll talk to some people about it...8)but then I'd have to come along with whoever wins, haha.

I chose China, with the side trip to Taiwan. :) I think it would be a little bit more than the tea (especially with the Olympics going on and their little pieces about the athletes visiting the various sites) in making this decision, but also just the variety coming out of China. I plan to visit Indian sometime in the future...my bff's family is from there, and there is always an invitation to go. My brother is nuts on Japanese culture (sans tea to my dismay), so if he ever wants to go on a little anime trip, I'd tag along for some sencha and shu umera.

Aug 18th, '08, 12:51

by GalileosDaughter » Aug 18th, '08, 12:51

Salsero wrote:
Selaphiel wrote: the tea brings me halfway there
Sweet ending to a nice post, Selaphiel. Thanks, that was a real work of art.

For me, on the other hand, all those places look a little too scary... If you took a cattle prod to me, I'd go to China, Yunnan likely and probably Fujian. But where I really want to go is Spain... Andalucia specifically. I would listen to a lot of Flamenco, drink a lot of strong Spanish wine, and eat a lot of powerful Spanish olive oil. Mmmm, forget that sissy tea!

¡Un pocillo de café, hombre!
Spain is my choice too, I've always wanted to walk the El Camino de Santiago. I suppose you could spike my Sangria with tea!

But to get back on topic, and to directly answer the question, of the choices listed I would probably choose Japan, then India.

Aug 18th, '08, 13:22

by Wosret » Aug 18th, '08, 13:22

If it were just for the tea, I'd be torn between India and Japan, but my long-standing interest in Japan would win out eventually.

What about Kenya? I'd love to go there some day (and plan to)!