Wednesday TeaDay 8/20/08 TeaShopping currently?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Are you actively shopping online for TEA at this time?

Always
17%
Yes, currently
13%
Thinking about starting an order(s)
31%
Not really, but not eliminating the possibility
26%
No, definitely not
11%
Other
2%

Total votes: 54

Aug 20th, '08, 10:55
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Aug 20th, '08, 10:55

Drinking the last bit of my Premium Simao Black Tea * Hong Piao Xiang * Hong means red, red tea means black tea, Xiang means fragrant, and even BabelCarp doesn't know what Piao means. It's been a rocky road with this tea, but now that's it gone I think I will miss it. :cry:
  • VENDOR PHOTO
As for today's poll, because I drink equally from pretty much all the major classes of tea, it seems I am always looking at something. Additionally, I think those of us who have a puerh habit have a tendancy to shop and buy a lot more tea than normal people do, since you can stockpile pu, in fact, you almost have to if you want some aged stuff down the road. Plus those wrappers and pressed cakes are so pretty!

Our little TeaChat community is a huge enabler for tea shopping. :lol: The good thing is that we find out what is really the premo stuff.

Aug 20th, '08, 11:09

by chamekke » Aug 20th, '08, 11:09

I'm always preparing my next tea shopping list, even if I'm not necessarily in the midst of submitting it yet. My brain is just naturally wired for tea inventory, I guess. Does it enhance or diminish pleasure when you help yourself to tea and realize that there may only be another one or two servings left? It certainly makes me feel more appreciative...

In my cup: coffee, sorry. When it comes to waking up, I am a heathen.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Aug 20th, '08, 11:12

by Geekgirl » Aug 20th, '08, 11:12

chamekke wrote:
In my cup: coffee, sorry. When it comes to waking up, I am a heathen.
Is it pouring down rain this morning where you are? It is here. Coffee sounds good.

I am always shopping, it's a curse. Fortunately I still shop far more than I actually buy.

In my cup: Air. Haven't decided yet on tea, though I'll probably start with matcha. It usually doesn't take me this long, but I'm ravenously hungry AND distracted by the computer. Bah.

Aug 20th, '08, 11:20

by daughteroftheKing » Aug 20th, '08, 11:20

Too much tea at work & home to put together an order for a while - not that that's ever stopped me before. :lol: I can do really well for a while not adding to my tea cabinets, but then something looks so good that I go on a tea-shopping binge ordering from 2-3 different sites!
For now, just keeping an eye on my staple teas and trying to stay satisfied with the special ones that I already own (Dave Ramsey's budget stuff is starting to sink into my lifestyle).

So far today just Chai in my cup. But the water is heating for Jasmine 12.
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

Aug 20th, '08, 11:48

by jogrebe » Aug 20th, '08, 11:48

Yep I'm always checking up on the puerh that is around at different places even though I do not order as often as a lot of people. Right now I have an order from Yunnan Source on its way from China to me and I'm eying the Dayi puerh cakes that Puerh Shop has recently added. Not sure if/when I'll place that order but I know it is only a matter of time before I pick up some Dayi cakes.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

Aug 20th, '08, 12:05

by Pentox » Aug 20th, '08, 12:05

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: In my cup: Air
I hear that stuff is really good for you. Especially if you get it fresh and clean. Some of the more stale stuff I've heard isn't that good. Not very filling though.

Aug 20th, '08, 12:19

by Wosret » Aug 20th, '08, 12:19

I don't shop online as a rule. I learned my lesson with eBay about ten years ago ... Something arrived in the mail and I thought: "Why on earth did I want this?" I've never even taken it out of its box, and yes, I still have it. A bit of a guilty reminder, and I can't think of anyone who'd actually want it.

That being said, I love browsing online, for tea and all kinds of things. I just can't bring myself to buy stuff and pay for shipping when I might be able to find it locally, especially wtih so many great tea shops in my area. I might get up the courage some day, but not just yet.

Aug 20th, '08, 12:31

by geeber1 » Aug 20th, '08, 12:31

I voted other as I just placed an order last night. I was kind of bummed about being on the west coast and left out of the free Zodiac sample. Even though I don't like many flavored teas, the Virgo blend sounded interesting.

Wosret, you're lucky to have lots of local options for tea. Where I live, there's nothing to choose from but the grocery store.

Aug 20th, '08, 12:33

by Geekgirl » Aug 20th, '08, 12:33

So yes, I did start with matcha this morning. And as promised, my new chawan:

Artist is Ron Mello. The teabowl is a thick glaze porcelain, unbelievably lightweight, with a very well-balanced feel.

Aug 20th, '08, 12:36

by Chip » Aug 20th, '08, 12:36

Wow, that is incredible, Geek!!!

Always shopping, trying not to buy at the moment. Too much tea on hand. But I shop everyday a little anyway in case I see something new. Thankfully, most of my tea searches have been greatly reduced to a fav five of vendors, but I am always looking beyond them as well.

Adagio Golden Monkey earlier and currently O-Cha Fukamushi Supreme.

Beautiful day here, in fact, a beautiful month so far.

Aug 20th, '08, 12:49

by bronzebed » Aug 20th, '08, 12:49

geekgirl-that is gorgeous!

Aug 20th, '08, 13:01

by RussianSoul » Aug 20th, '08, 13:01

Not buying tea right now - have too much on hand and then there are samples...

But always shopping! Have saved shopping lists (which I am tweaking constantly) for FLT, TeaSpring, HouDe, TeaMasters, SpecialTeas and a couple of others.

Two infusions of Assam Mokalbari in the morning and now 2nd Year Baozhong from TeaMasters. Cold-brewed sencha/gyokuro blend is getting ready in the fridge. I am having a great Tea Day.

Have to comment on photos today:

Gorgeous shot, Sal!

Beautiful chawan, GeekGirl!

Aug 20th, '08, 13:09

by Pentox » Aug 20th, '08, 13:09

So when are you sending that chawan my way Geek?

Aug 20th, '08, 14:03

by doyoulovedee » Aug 20th, '08, 14:03

i'm supposed to be on a tea budget, but while i was buying new fish i found a tea shop i'd never been to before. of course i had to go in, and ended up with a lavender blend tisane.

Aug 20th, '08, 14:06

Re: Sencha: It’s why God made green

by auggy » Aug 20th, '08, 14:06

Salsero, your picture is LOVELY. I love the colors. Just love it!
daughteroftheKing wrote:For now, just keeping an eye on my staple teas and trying to stay satisfied with the special ones that I already own (Dave Ramsey's budget stuff is starting to sink into my lifestyle).
Ooh, I love Dave Ramsey! We've been doing the Dave Ramsey thing for about two years now and are debt-free except for the house, which we aim to pay off by August 2011 but will most likely hit about 6 months earlier. Dave is the reason I work only part-time, too. Go Dave! Image

For the poll, I voted not really because it takes me forever to actually buy a tea. I always keep an eye out interesting tea, but then it goes on my "teas to try" list, where it will hang out until certain things converge - if I decide I need more of that class of tea, if I'm going to be getting something else from that vendor or they have lots of things I want and lastly, whether I'm "feeling" the tea as much as when I first added it to my list. So basically I do a lot of window shopping and little actual shopping (once every 6 to 8 weeks it seems). If any of that makes sense.

Birthday tea for me this morning, though it is long gone now. When I get home I have an orchid oolong I think I'm going to try. I got that and a couple of greens and a teapot from Imperial Tea yesterday. Had the Tai Pink Monkey King last night. You were right, Chip. Yum. And the leaves are huge! I love the tea for that alone.