Sunday TeaRoom TeaDay 8/24/08 Drinking tea solo?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Are you enjoying tea alone? And are you the only tea drinker?

I am alone and obviously the only tea drinker
34%
I am not alone, but I am the only tea drinker
30%
I am not alone, and I am not the only tea drinker
32%
Other
4%

Total votes: 56

Aug 24th, '08, 12:52

by Selaphiel » Aug 24th, '08, 12:52

I'm enjoying my tea alone today, no tea guests today. But I'm planing a tea visit, going to introduce a friend of mine to Japanese tea, he showed his interest so I had to invite. Gonna have to take it over multiple sessions, so that he can experience all the diversity of Japanese green tea.

Had some Jun Chiyabari green today. Gonna have some Shui Xian after dinner.

Aug 24th, '08, 13:02

by joelbct » Aug 24th, '08, 13:02

Yes, my family and friends are all coffee drinkers!

And the few people I run into who drink tea, without fail drink teabag tea. C'est la vie in America!

<-- Golden Buddha Fujian Red today.

Also picked up some Megami, Chiran Kanayamidori, Kawane Sencha's, and Uji Gyokuro from Ito En yesterday.

Aug 24th, '08, 13:16

by Beidao » Aug 24th, '08, 13:16

Geekgirl - LOL! Yes, long live natural light. Says the fanatical flash-lover :roll:

Geekgirl and Smari - Thanks a lot!
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Aug 24th, '08, 13:32

by chamekke » Aug 24th, '08, 13:32

Beidao wrote:Geekgirl - LOL! Yes, long live natural light. Says the fanatical flash-lover :roll:

Geekgirl and Smari - Thanks a lot!
I prefer using natural light for photographing tea and teawares, too. Unfortunately the lack of adequate natural light in my apartment means that I have only a small window of opportunity for taking photos (i.e. mornings only). And since I tend to be busy on weekend mornings... :?

To Chip's poll I answered "other". My husband does drink tea, but he's still on the bag (PG Tips), so when he asks if I want tea, the answer is almost always, "I'll take some of the hot water..." He has been persuaded to drink the occasional jasmine pearl and Adagio citron green, however, he never prepares them himself.

Tea in my cup: Yunnan Gold, prepared in my weird hybrid gaiwan.

Aug 24th, '08, 14:05

by Beidao » Aug 24th, '08, 14:05

chamekke wrote:I prefer using natural light for photographing tea and teawares, too. Unfortunately the lack of adequate natural light in my apartment means that I have only a small window of opportunity for taking photos (i.e. mornings only). And since I tend to be busy on weekend mornings... :?
Same here. I live in a cellar. Two rooms of which only one has windows. I have to climb to get up to they and they are not very good for photographing since the background gets too crowded. It does happens rarely on summer days that some sun reaches down to my dinner table.

I guess I'll have to start carrying my teaware outside. I really love sunlight for photographs.
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Aug 24th, '08, 14:25

by jewelbug » Aug 24th, '08, 14:25

Lovely pics today, Sal and Beidao.

I usually am a solo tea drinker. My hubby very rarely partakes with me when I'm at home, and at work I'm alone in my office. Today is defnitely a solo tea day.

In the cup currently: Iced Fruity White tea from teavana (courtesy of bronzebed).

Aug 24th, '08, 14:37
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Aug 24th, '08, 14:37

El Padre wrote: I am not drinking alone, because the IM has returned!
LOL. Yes, those are my main TeaBuddies too!

augie wrote: I can grow glads.
I'm so glad!
Beidao wrote: Image
Breathtaking, Beidao, so gorgeous! The Geekgirl gives wise counsel.
If your Dong Ding is not turning out well, I would suspect you've got a poor example. I have always found a good Dong Ding (Tung Ting) easy to brew and pretty forgiving.
GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: is your teacup apple blossoms? ~snip~ I'm about to dive into a Shi Ru Xiang generously shared by ABx.
I don't know if they are apple blossoms, but I would love to know and I would love for them to be apple blossoms, since my Czech speaking grandmother had two of the best apple trees I ever snuck fruit from as a kid.

What is Shi Ru Xiang, and how is it going?

In my cup: Darjeeling again today, a different one. Yesterday’s Risheehat Flowery SFTGFOP-1clonal just kept steeping and resteeping forever. I lost count, but I think I quit after about 8 infusions. I’ve never seen that from a Darjeeling! My only other tea yesterday was returning to a leftover pot of 2007 Bulang Spring Buds Puerh for a total of 16 infusions from that. I only had two teas yesterday and one of those was leftover, but I was drinking tea constantly all day long. Toki on his Mandarin’s Tea blog is going for a record five days infusions on a very old puerh.

Aug 24th, '08, 15:59

by Geekgirl » Aug 24th, '08, 15:59

Salsero wrote:
GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: is your teacup apple blossoms? ~snip~ I'm about to dive into a Shi Ru Xiang generously shared by ABx.
I don't know if they are apple blossoms, but I would love to know and I would love for them to be apple blossoms, since my Czech speaking grandmother had two of the best apple trees I ever snuck fruit from as a kid.

What is Shi Ru Xiang, and how is it going?
I think they are, here's an example from flickr and link to a larger version. (Photo is not mine):

I don't know what shi ru xiang is, it's delicious though, tastes a lot like pi lo chun, with maybe a tiny bit less nut flavor.

Aug 24th, '08, 16:32

by Chip » Aug 24th, '08, 16:32

Nice photos!

Alone and therefore alone. I rarely if ever get to drink tea with anyone other than online. But not even that today.

Pretty good tea nevertheless so far.

Adagio Keemun Concerto
O-Cha Fukamushi Supreme
Ali Shan currently, 3rd steep. I will set this aside for this evening.
Now, another tea before a bike ride?

Aug 24th, '08, 17:05

by Geekgirl » Aug 24th, '08, 17:05

Here's my yummy tea:

before the reveal
(second photo at click)

Aug 24th, '08, 18:07

by Cinnamon Kitty » Aug 24th, '08, 18:07

I am not quite alone since I am enjoying my tea in my college dorm with the door open and people occasionally pop in to say hello, but as far as I know I am the only one drinking tea.

I am enjoying some sencha I picked up a local tea shop. It is sweet, tangy, and grassy without being overpowering. For being able to get it local, I am pretty impressed with it. Too bad she only had a 1/2 oz of it left when I went to pick some up.

Aug 24th, '08, 18:18

by Proinsias » Aug 24th, '08, 18:18

I'm not sure where I fit in on the drinking alone thing. At least 50% of time in the house spent awake has some sort of tea on the go, my wife takes the occasional cup. My closest friend is up a few times a week and is also a tea addict, I have one other friend who is a certified tea junkie. Another close friend I've been working on for a while and turned up two days ago and got out his credit card when I gave him some teaspring tie luo han to order a 100g pack and also a yixing from yunnan sourcing - I'm breaking them down slowly.

Aug 24th, '08, 19:16

by daughteroftheKing » Aug 24th, '08, 19:16

Tea alone this afternoon - iced White Peach.
This morning, though, I was far from alone as I enjoyed Blossoms of Spring Green during Sunday school.
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

Aug 24th, '08, 19:37

by leiche » Aug 24th, '08, 19:37

Always alone when it comes to tea drinking, unfortunately.

Sal, I love that teapot. Beidao, that cup is beautiful. And GeekGirl, I'd love to "borrow" your gaiwan.

Just a few cups of Genmaicha this morning, and some Rou Gui for the rest of the day.

Aug 24th, '08, 20:55

by jim109 » Aug 24th, '08, 20:55

Alone when I drink tea.
Yunnan Gold then Golden Monkey today.