Friday TeaDay 10/03/08 Enough tea in your life?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

... unintentionally suggested by Auggy yesterday ... is there enough tea in your life these days?

Most definitely
25%
Yes
22%
Maybe
8%
No, I don't believe so
23%
Most definitely NOT
22%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 60

Oct 3rd, '08, 08:57
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Oct 3rd, '08, 08:57

I wish I could say yes I have enough.
But currently, in terms of quantity, I have more than enough. But in terms of diversity and categories, there are still many kinds of tea that I want but don't have.
I believe for many tea users, the ultimate fantasy will not be owning all the tea at home, but having all kinds of tea in a reachable store and at a reasonable price. Then you won't have a big stock and worry about expiration date and still can have any tea whenever you want. Well but I know this would be too ideal even for tea producing countries :P
By sitting in peace and doing nothing,
You make your one day worth two days.

Oct 3rd, '08, 09:05
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Oct 3rd, '08, 09:05

kymidwife wrote: I have a new man-friend who just came back from a business trip to San Francisco. He sweetly brought me some tea from a teashop out there... of course, he had no idea what varieties I like, and brought me one chocolate, one with rooibos (I don't care much for either of these but I will drink them to be gracious), and he brought me some of the roasted barley, Mugicha. I actually quite like it very much! It has a nice nutty toasty taste, a hint of natural sweetness, and is good for multiple infusions... and caffiene free. It will never replace tea for me, but I am enjoying it as a nice variation on my tea routine.

Happy tea day to all...

Sarah
Mugicha is one of my favorite night "tea" too :D I feel some tea or herbal tea make me warm, some make me cool. Oolong, red tea, mugicha, genmaicha, are on the warm side, and I need them in all seasons and need non-caffeine herbal or rice/barley tea after late afternoon. Genmaicha (brown rice tea) is very good too, somewhat similar to mugicha. I always get the no-green-tea version of genmaicha for night use.

Oct 3rd, '08, 09:08

by henley » Oct 3rd, '08, 09:08

Quantity of tea? Yes, there's enough (though I still want more). Quantity of time to enjoy my teas? No! :cry:

Oolong #8 w/bfast this morning. Have a great day!

Oct 3rd, '08, 09:13

by neowolf » Oct 3rd, '08, 09:13

I dare say almost too much. It'll be some time before I'm out and I'm drinking some of the greens and whites more to avoid them going stale!

Apricot green today. ;)

Oct 3rd, '08, 09:14

by tsusentei » Oct 3rd, '08, 09:14

This begs the question, "what is tea?". When speaking on beverages I automatically defend the camellia sin. as the only tea, but speaking socially I take the linguistic approach. When defining tea via the dictionary, one of the definitions is meal consumed with tea and guests, or something along those lines. In Japan, "shall we have tea?" is a come-on line of sorts. So by this logic "tea" can be defined as a social activity. Thus, though I definitely have tea coming out my ears, I may want to have more "tea". It is difficult to find people who are genuinely interested in tea, not "who has the best", but just sitting down for a bit of calm exchange. More tea, please!!!

Oct 3rd, '08, 09:25

by beecrofter » Oct 3rd, '08, 09:25

Enough?
I perhaps have enough pu-erh laid up to last me 3 or 4 lifetimes.
It makes trading fun and sharing easier.

Oct 3rd, '08, 09:51
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Oct 3rd, '08, 09:51

tsusentei wrote:This begs the question, "what is tea?". When speaking on beverages I automatically defend the camellia sin. as the only tea, but speaking socially I take the linguistic approach. When defining tea via the dictionary, one of the definitions is meal consumed with tea and guests, or something along those lines. In Japan, "shall we have tea?" is a come-on line of sorts. So by this logic "tea" can be defined as a social activity. Thus, though I definitely have tea coming out my ears, I may want to have more "tea". It is difficult to find people who are genuinely interested in tea, not "who has the best", but just sitting down for a bit of calm exchange. More tea, please!!!
Very well said!

Oct 3rd, '08, 09:55
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Oct 3rd, '08, 09:55

Enough? There is not enough.
I have enough to drink for a long time, but like many others
have stated, there is not enough time to drink and enjoy them.
I really want more - always.

Nilgiri Blue in my cup this morning.
This is a beautifully crafted tea that that blows my
"whole/large leaf" black is best idea right out of the water.

Happy Friday Everyone!

Oct 3rd, '08, 10:07

by Smari » Oct 3rd, '08, 10:07

I don't have enough tea variety in my life yet but I do have enough tea to share with the entire town :lol: I'm still discovering the many varieties of tea out there; so many to choose from! I actually just placed a new order with Adagio yesterday to try out some more oolongs and blacks; definitely not enough tea in my life hehe

This morning started off with matcha. Now, about to brew up some of Adagio's oolong#40.

Cheers!

Oct 3rd, '08, 10:12

by xine » Oct 3rd, '08, 10:12

I definitely have enough tea to last me for quite sometime. To a fault too, as I had to 'let go' of many samples that had 'outstayed their welcome'. :) My mom had a stop over in Japan and brought me back some gifts, including some fragrant Gyokuro. This was purchased at a gift shop in Nagoya Int'l, but nonetheless, it looks pretty good, AND it comes in a wonderful tea container. I also got some fun teacups.

Having more Ali Shan.

Oct 3rd, '08, 10:37

by auggy » Oct 3rd, '08, 10:37

YAY! I inspired a poll! I feel all giddy. :lol:

There is definitely NOT enough tea in my life right now. I have a whole pantry full of teas calling my name, but for one reason or another I haven't been able to actually sit down and make it. I still get my morning tea in as making it while I'm putting together DH and my lunches is routine. However, I'm only getting my evening tea in about half the time instead of every day. It makes me sad.

Fortunately, tonight I have no running around planned, I slept great so no naps will be needed, I'm not feeling sick and DH will be working late doing a server migration, all of which means I can pick a tea I want and drink to my little heart is content and not have to worry about sharing! :twisted: It's mine! ALL MINE!

Birthday tea this morning. I'm currently dreaming about the tea I'll have tonight. Orchid oolong? Fuka-midori? Orange blossom oolong? Darjeeling? OOOOOOH. Is it time to go home yet?

Oct 3rd, '08, 10:53

by chamekke » Oct 3rd, '08, 10:53

Trioxin wrote:Definitely not. I have plenty of tea to last me years upon years. but hardly any time to drink it. I've got tea piled up that I haven't even been able to taste yet. Its kinda sad.
What Trioxin said. Life is so crazy-busy right now, at work and at home, it's a matter of finding the time to properly enjoy all the tea I have. I even have a backlog of interesting samples to try - if anything, I'm worried that my tea will begin to go stale before I get to it.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Oct 3rd, '08, 10:55

by chamekke » Oct 3rd, '08, 10:55

kymidwife wrote:and he brought me some of the roasted barley, Mugicha. I actually quite like it very much! It has a nice nutty toasty taste, a hint of natural sweetness, and is good for multiple infusions... and caffiene free. It will never replace tea for me, but I am enjoying it as a nice variation on my tea routine.
Mugicha is great - and healthful, too. I regularly bore people by telling them how great it is :)

It's best known as a chilled drink for summertime, but in Japan people also drink it hot in the winter.

The only thing is, it must be fresh. Stale/rancid mugicha tastes like the bottom of an ashtray. Not that I brew in ashtrays much, now that I've discovered gaiwan!

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Oct 3rd, '08, 11:07

by Chip » Oct 3rd, '08, 11:07

I am enjoying hearing the different takes on this question. I felt this would happen and was looking forward to it.

I generally look at this question from a structured personality Point of View. :roll: I have always been most comfortable with 4 teas a day, and happy when I get a 5th. Lately, I have been getting 2-3 a day with an occasional 4th, so more tea please.

But the tea I have had has been really quite good, so quality is really right on.

Getting low on my traditional Adagio blacks I generally have first thing in the morning, so today, ToT Bohea black. This is interesting, reminds me of some of the earliest Keemun I had when I first started drinking tea.

Yutaka Midori currently, need I say more?!?
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Oct 3rd, '08, 11:11

by Chip » Oct 3rd, '08, 11:11

chamekke wrote:
kymidwife wrote:and he brought me some of the roasted barley, Mugicha.
Mugicha is great - and healthful, too. I regularly bore people by telling them how great it is :)

It's best known as a chilled drink for summertime, but in Japan people also drink it hot in the winter.

The only thing is, it must be fresh. Stale/rancid mugicha tastes like the bottom of an ashtray. Not that I brew in ashtrays much, now that I've discovered gaiwan!
I have yet to try mugicha, and have wanted to for some time. What is the best way to get it?

I have considered just getting some barley and toasting or pan firing it myself since it is strangely hard to get in tea form. Or is it best to buy it as a tea? Where from, reasonably priced. I thing Ippodo has it, but I am not about to buy mugicha direct from Japan.
Last edited by Chip on Oct 3rd, '08, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.