Wednesday TeaDay 10/29/08 Cooler weather tea?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

The weather was reported to be chillin' yesterday by many TeaChatters. Are your tea choices changing with the weather?

Yes, most certainly, pretty drastically
11%
Yes, changing a bit
40%
Maybe
13%
I don't think so
15%
No, definitely not
22%

Total votes: 55

Oct 29th, '08, 08:10

So many layers!

by Susana » Oct 29th, '08, 08:10

Flurries two days ago. WAY too soon.

Winter brings out the dian hong cha in me. I like the way it warms up my cheeks. Just received this sweet little gift and now I can't put it down.

Although, I know when I get to work I wont be able to resist the silver needle. Image

Oct 29th, '08, 08:35

by olivierco » Oct 29th, '08, 08:35

Hibiki-an SP sencha in a few minutes.

Oct 29th, '08, 09:27

by kongni » Oct 29th, '08, 09:27

My iced tea consumption definitely decreases during the colder months but I still have it occasionally mostly when I'm eating out.

Shincha this morning......Hmmmm....Maybe some Bai Hao oolong next?

Oct 29th, '08, 09:46

by Smari » Oct 29th, '08, 09:46

Quite a change in my preference here since the weather changed. Instead of my usual green teas (which was what I only drank in the summer), I went for Oolongs as the temperature dropped. I find myself having a few black teas here and there, too.

Now that my test results from the doctor came in, I was advised to lay off the caffiene until my hemoglobin levels are up again. I suffered from severe anemia last fall/winter and now it's back. So in lieu of caffeinated tea, I'm tricking my mind into liking rooibos and herbals (which I can't stand).

In my cup now- Cloud9 rooibos that I got from Teavana. They're lucky I like marshmallows & strawberries... :(

Oct 29th, '08, 09:55
Scrolling: scrolling

by CynTEAa » Oct 29th, '08, 09:55

It's snowing here in CT as I type this! Just a squall, I believe. When it gets colder I crave fuller bodied black teas. Also my overall tea consumption increases. :)

Oct 29th, '08, 10:46

Re: Shan Lin Shi / Shan Lin Xi

by auggy » Oct 29th, '08, 10:46

Salsero wrote: Image
Sal, those fish simultaneously freak me out and compel me to own them.

Smari, good luck with the anti-caffeine thing. It doesn't sound fun but I hope you'll find some things that make your taste buds happy.

No changes here in tea types due to weather. Though I have noticed I've been making my Japanese greens a little "thicker" than I seem to in the summer. Turns them from refreshing to more comforting. Other than that, I'm not a big fan of high roast teas which it seems most gravitate towards during winter. So that sort of limits me. And I haven't had chai or spiced tea since switching to loose. Maybe that will be the change this winter brings in my tea tastes.

Birthday tea this morning. It helped my throat which is a little swollen but now I need more tea. I'm pretty sure I have an Ito-en teabag around here somewhere. Might need to dig it out.

Oct 29th, '08, 10:49

Re: Shan Lin Shi / Shan Lin Xi

by geeber1 » Oct 29th, '08, 10:49

Salsero wrote:
geeber1 wrote: professional TeaChatter opinions.
:lol:
Sorry Geeber, maybe you can be first tomorrow!

Temp doesn't affect my drinking habits ... come summer or come winter. Image
Great, another obsession ... trying to be the first poster on TeaChat! Guess that being on the west coast is an advantage there!

Sal, love the colors in your photo today. Very relaxing.

Oct 29th, '08, 11:19
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: So many layers!

by Chip » Oct 29th, '08, 11:19

Susana wrote:Flurries two days ago. WAY too soon.

Winter brings out the dian hong cha in me. I like the way it warms up my cheeks. Just received this sweet little gift and now I can't put it down.

Although, I know when I get to work I wont be able to resist the silver needle. Image
Hi Susana, welcome to our TeaDay! Nice Yixing.

Smari, maybe try Mugicha or Toasted rice or both. Nice, gently sweet, toasty aroma. You can roast your own, see Sarah's post or see the topic under greens, "How to make Genmaicha."

Well, considering I just got 3 new Adagio black samples, I guess I will be drinking more blacks. 8)

However, to start the day, Gyokuro Yame from O-Cha. Sweetie again joined in. Wulong watched from my shoulders and Lili (a newcomer) had her back to the proceedings. Girl cats are Geisha cats, right?
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Oct 29th, '08, 11:35

by Pentox » Oct 29th, '08, 11:35

I have a rather marked change that I make when I gets cold enough. I tend to have more black teas in the winter, and I cold brew less. A piping hot cup of darjeeling just doesn't seem right when it's 110 outside.

Oct 29th, '08, 11:44

by Smari » Oct 29th, '08, 11:44

Chip wrote:Smari, maybe try Mugicha or Toasted rice or both. Nice, gently sweet, toasty aroma. You can roast your own, see Sarah's post or see the topic under greens, "How to make Genmaicha."
I've yet to try mugicha. Where can I get that? Maybe in the Asian stores, I'm assuming. If I can get my hands on that, I would love to try to make something out of it.
Thanks for the suggestion Chip :)
auggy wrote:Smari, good luck with the anti-caffeine thing. It doesn't sound fun but I hope you'll find some things that make your taste buds happy.

Birthday tea this morning. It helped my throat which is a little swollen but now I need more tea. I'm pretty sure I have an Ito-en teabag around here somewhere. Might need to dig it out.
Thanks Auggy :) It's hard trying to just stay up without any caffiene. Have you tried some ginger tea? That usually fights my colds, whenever it decides to show up. Hope you get better!

Oct 29th, '08, 11:47

by Pentox » Oct 29th, '08, 11:47

Smari wrote: I've yet to try mugicha. Where can I get that? Maybe in the Asian stores, I'm assuming. If I can get my hands on that, I would love to try to make something out of it.
Thanks for the suggestion Chip :)
Mugicha can be found at most asian stores. At least that I've seen. It's a relatively inexpensive beverage. I've never heard of a high end mugicha though.

Oct 29th, '08, 11:51

by jasonowalker » Oct 29th, '08, 11:51

Yes, Today is pu'er bought in China. Don't recall the details of the variety, but it is a shu, possibly a lao cha tou. I'm using an yixing pot that was a wedding gift, and has my and my wife's name etched in the bottom by the creator.

In cool/cold weather, I prefer the teas that tend to put "heat" in the body.

Oct 29th, '08, 11:56

by toastedtoads » Oct 29th, '08, 11:56

I think overall my preference changes to darker teas, but on a daily basis I could still turn to some lighter greens and oolongs.

So far I'm drinking 2008 Nannuoshan 'Cha Chan Yi Wei', a sheng from Nada. Very smooth for a youngin' but with plenty of flavor. (I'm terrible at describing tastes and smells, so I'm just enjoying this one for now.)

Oct 29th, '08, 12:30

by Cinnamon Kitty » Oct 29th, '08, 12:30

I've definitely been craving darker teas as it is getting colder. I've also noticed that I really don't want any lighter, fruit flavored teas that I enjoyed over the summer, like White Peach. Green tea is still delicious, but I am starting to want either more oxidized or more heavily roasted teas as we get more snow.

I started today with hojicha, am now drinking sencha, and am in the process of brewing some organic Monk's Blend to take to class.

Oct 29th, '08, 14:08

by neowolf » Oct 29th, '08, 14:08

My actually selections don't change that much, perhaps a bit more black tea, but in general I just prefer hot tea more and more often. Or should I say prefer iced tea less as the Summer ends.