Awazon Sheng

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Nov 2nd, '08, 22:37
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Nov 2nd, '08, 22:37

thanks wrote: Those brewed leaves are very sexy.
For sure, and as we know seksi is the name of the game in raw puerh tea!
But the dry leaves look awfully silvery and tippy which is one of the reasons I think the tea may be very light in flavor or may not age too well. Course, I speak more from ignorance than experience.
shogun89 wrote: I want that Jingmai!!!!!!!! Soo expensive though.
Less than a year to go before your next birthday. They have over 600 for sale and a year from now they will be one year better.

Nov 2nd, '08, 22:51

by shogun89 » Nov 2nd, '08, 22:51

Salsero wrote:
shogun89 wrote: I want that Jingmai!!!!!!!! Soo expensive though.
Less than a year to go before your next birthday. They have over 600 for sale and a year from now they will be one year better.
True but. . . They will also be 1 year more expensive.

Nov 2nd, '08, 22:54

by Salsero » Nov 2nd, '08, 22:54

shogun89 wrote: True but. . . They will also be 1 year more expensive.
That's why they call Economics The Dismal Science.

PolyhymnianMuse wrote: Anyway, cardboard box for sheng... safe?
The only safe solution is to drink it all now.

My advice: keep an eye on it.

A couple weeks ago I took a whiff in one of my pumidor drawers and didn't like what met my nose ... smelled like mildew or something. I emptied both offending drawers, spread the contents out, and gave it a couple days to dry out. After wringing my hands and pacing the floor and sniffing many more times, I decided that the smell did come from the cakes but from copy paper on which I often print out a page or two from the vendor's website or put together a Word doc with vendor photo, description, etc. Six months of sitting in a 70% to 75% RH environment seemed too much for the copy paper and it was starting to smell like vaguely moist, old paper. I now store the printouts separately from the puerh. The wrappers, tong bags, etc. don't seem to be bothered by the humidity. They didn't have the smell.

Nov 3rd, '08, 01:49

by PolyhymnianMuse » Nov 3rd, '08, 01:49

Thanks Sal, I'll deff be giving them a check every so often. The extent of my storage is in the box on my floor under my bed so there isn't really a high humidy to monitor or anything of that sort.

Nov 3rd, '08, 06:57

by thanks » Nov 3rd, '08, 06:57

eanglin wrote:
thanks wrote:Those brewed leaves are very sexy.

Eanglin, I live in Michigan as well and storage is going fine for me. Are you storing in a basement?
No, I'm afraid of off flavors in my basement. (100 year old house with an only semi-improved basement.) I keep mine in my library, which while it isn't completely away from kitchen odors is probably the best compromise in my house.

I'm in Macomb county, outside of Detroit.
You?
Ah, understandable. Personally I'm in Wayne county, close enough to Detroit haha.

Back to Awazon, it's hard to order Awazon brand pu'er from them when I could just order something like this, http://cgi.ebay.com/Zhongcha-357g-Ripe- ... m153.l1262

They also have a few interesting Haiwan releases as well.

Nov 3rd, '08, 08:16

by eanglin » Nov 3rd, '08, 08:16

thanks wrote: Ah, understandable. Personally I'm in Wayne county, close enough to Detroit haha.
Hmmm... I wonder if there are any other metro-Detroiters around...

We could have a tea meet-up someplace central, like Goldfish Tea in Royal Oak- I'm pretty sure they would be amenable to a group of tea nerds showing up and sharing teas, especially if we arranged things ahead of time. (And invited them to taste too. The owners were pretty cool when I talked to them, and interested in but admittedly not too knowledgeable about Pu.)

Nov 3rd, '08, 10:11

by hop_goblin » Nov 3rd, '08, 10:11

I have never bought from Awazon but I have never heard any complaints either. They have been around a while so I am assuming that they are descent fellas. Don't stay around too long in that business if you aren't

Nov 3rd, '08, 11:05

by puerhking » Nov 3rd, '08, 11:05

I have bought from him 5 times without any real problem. I have had a problem communicating on having him combine shipping though. Dont know if this was convenient ignorance or not.

Why not try the Jingmai 250g brick from Awazon its much cheaper--

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Awazon-Jingmai ... dZViewItem

The wrapper is not as pretty though :P

Nov 3rd, '08, 11:20

by Salsero » Nov 3rd, '08, 11:20

puerhking wrote: Why not try the Jingmai 250g brick from Awazon its much cheaper
I'm looking at that one.

Nov 3rd, '08, 15:26

by shogun89 » Nov 3rd, '08, 15:26

Yeah I too am looking at the brick. and this one http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Yiwu-Raw-Pu-er ... dZViewItem seems to be a good cake for the price. ???

Nov 3rd, '08, 16:44

by PolyhymnianMuse » Nov 3rd, '08, 16:44

puerhking wrote:I have bought from him 5 times without any real problem. I have had a problem communicating on having him combine shipping though. Dont know if this was convenient ignorance or not.
What kind of cakes did you order from them? Anything you would recommend?
shogun89 wrote:Yeah I too am looking at the brick. and this one http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Yiwu-Raw-Pu-er ... dZViewItem seems to be a good cake for the price. ???
I was looking at those too. The size and price would be perfect for sampling through the ages :P

I don't know what kind of deal they would do, but there are 5 of those 250 gram cakes to a "tong".

Nov 3rd, '08, 17:38

by puerhking » Nov 3rd, '08, 17:38

shogun89 wrote:Yeah I too am looking at the brick. and this one http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Yiwu-Raw-Pu-er ... dZViewItem seems to be a good cake for the price. ???
I bought a couple of these. Mostly whole leaves....not a strong sheng. However it has some nice sheng flavors and some hui gan. I have had it for four months and new flavors have developed. I have drank this one quite a bit and think it is a solid cake especially for the price.

Nov 3rd, '08, 20:21

by shogun89 » Nov 3rd, '08, 20:21

puerhking wrote:
I bought a couple of these. Mostly whole leaves....not a strong sheng. However it has some nice sheng flavors and some hui gan. I have had it for four months and new flavors have developed. I have drank this one quite a bit and think it is a solid cake especially for the price.
I am highly considering getting a tong of them. For the price. . . .

Nov 3rd, '08, 20:26

by PolyhymnianMuse » Nov 3rd, '08, 20:26

shogun89 wrote:
puerhking wrote:
At $29.75 for 1.25 kilos of tea I think I might want one too. I wonder what shipping would end up being.

Nov 3rd, '08, 21:24

by shogun89 » Nov 3rd, '08, 21:24

PolyhymnianMuse wrote:
shogun89 wrote:
puerhking wrote:
At $29.75 for 1.25 kilos of tea I think I might want one too. I wonder what shipping would end up being.
Well we should be able to get a discount for the purchase. My guess is $50-60 for the whole thing. But wouldn't it be a good idea to get 6 so you get the tong and a cake to try it so you dont destroy the tong?

+ Post Reply