Feb 16th, '09, 11:19

by Love4TheLeaf » Feb 16th, '09, 11:19

Just an update.

I've been trying to brew the Harney's tea for shorter times to see if it still bothers me. A few days ago, I brewed a cup for 3 minutes and it still made me a bit queasy towards the bottom of the cup. Right now, I'm working on a cup I brewed for two and a half minutes. I'm wondering if the steeping time on the can is wrong? It says to steep it for five minutes, which I admit sounded really long when I first got it but I figured they knew what was best since it's their tea.

Unfortunately, I'd just as soon not even have this kind of tea as to put milk in it. I like the black tea taste and milk completely ruins it.

Feb 17th, '09, 21:53

by augie » Feb 17th, '09, 21:53

Love4TheLeaf wrote: I don't think it's the caffeine because I can take 3 Excedrin tablets (If I need to) with no issues.
Holy crap! Read the label. Some of the OTC migraine contain acetaminophen (Tylenol) Taking too much tylenol can fry your liver! :O I used to take Excedrin Migraine until I was so fed up with the headaches I went to my Dr. She told me that the extra caffeine can cause headaches from taking Exced. regularly. I take Imitrex now, works great.

I also have experienced nausea with tea, however it was in a teabag (Assam) and I have not tried since. Move on to another kind of tea, maybe whatever you're drinking just doesn't agree with you?

http://www.excedrin.com/products/migraine.shtml

Feb 17th, '09, 22:03

by gaily56 » Feb 17th, '09, 22:03

i find that with black tea. i am trying to acquire a taste for all teas, but the black tea for some reason, does not agree with me. i do prefer the white teas. i am looking for feedback on this.
thanks

Feb 18th, '09, 04:06

by Beidao » Feb 18th, '09, 04:06

Gaily: How many black teas have you tried? Which? Have you tried from different countries? Sure it's a good quality of black tea? Sure you made them in the best way?

Maybe you just have to give it time, if you want to like black tea then drink it now and then. Some day you'll probably find that you like it more and more. People change and so does their taste buds :P
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Feb 18th, '09, 10:09

by auggy » Feb 18th, '09, 10:09

augie wrote: I used to take Excedrin Migraine until I was so fed up with the headaches I went to my Dr. She told me that the extra caffeine can cause headaches from taking Exced. regularly. I take Imitrex now, works great.
Rebound headaches suck. One of the reasons I so rarely take meds (OTC or otherwise).

Feb 18th, '09, 11:34
Scrolling: scrolling

by silverneedles » Feb 18th, '09, 11:34

unless the batch was tested before packing,

you cant predict how much caffeine a certain tea has

there is alot of variation: green & whites can also have alot of caffeine.

add to that the various other aminoacids, polyphenols etc in tea leaf that will interact with the caffeine, absorbtion & effects.

Feb 19th, '09, 03:46

by Love4TheLeaf » Feb 19th, '09, 03:46

augie wrote: Holy crap! Read the label. Some of the OTC migraine contain acetaminophen (Tylenol) Taking too much tylenol can fry your liver! :O
Yeah. I know. I only take it when I get headaches that are excruciating. Frankly, at that point, I'd stick a fork in my eye if I thought it would work. When it gets that bad "This is bad for you" just isn't something I'm thinking about.
I also have experienced nausea with tea, however it was in a teabag (Assam) and I have not tried since. Move on to another kind of tea, maybe whatever you're drinking just doesn't agree with you?
Yeah. I'm thinking it's probably something about Assam that my body just doesn't care for. I have a couple of Rishi Chinese black teas right now that I can drink all day with no issues. I drink mostly green, white and oolong but sometimes, a good black tea really hits the spot.

Feb 19th, '09, 13:10

by Odinsfury » Feb 19th, '09, 13:10

If I drink green tea on an empty stomach I will get nauseous as well.

Feb 19th, '09, 14:55
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 19th, '09, 14:55

When I started drinking tea around 10 years ago, teas like Assam would definitely give me nausea while Keemun would not. :?:
Susana wrote:Yes, ginger! Peppermint and hibiscus are also great for nausea as they help cool the stomach. Those two were my medicine growing up.
Peppermint is not however a panacea for all stomach problems, it is the one and only thing I eliminated from my diet when I had acid reflux several years ago, plus I happened to start drinking a lot more Japanese greens. Have not had an issue since.

Peppermint supposedly numbs the sphincter muscle which is between the stomach and esophagus. If someone has ARD, numbing this muscle compounds or exasperates the condition.

Feb 21st, '09, 16:53

by reincarnate » Feb 21st, '09, 16:53

When I first started drinking oolongs I would feel nauseous and had stomach pains, but they were have mild and I'm still not sure if it was just a mental thing, because I was trying something I wasn't familiar with and didn't trust

Feb 23rd, '09, 23:37

by ErikaM » Feb 23rd, '09, 23:37

Matcha tends to make me a little queasy. I'm not sure why; I like the flavor and enjoy drinking it, but about 10 minutes later it hits me. I haven't tried it yet as a latte to see if that solves the problem.

+ Post Reply