May 11th, '10, 18:59

Re: Wood Fired Ceramics by Bill Perrine (Split-Fire Pottery)

by bonjiri » May 11th, '10, 18:59

bill

love your idea about freebies

awesome !

COOL !

aloha ! c

May 11th, '10, 20:43

by brian » May 11th, '10, 20:43

T-session wrote: Also, I have been throwing a bunch of yunomis like the one that Brian from Colorado bought.
It's the black one on page 11 of this thread. Holds just under 8 ounces to the rim, and the shape is fantastic. The sides are a bit square, the corners are rounded, and you can see that it sort of bulges out a bit before tapering to the foot. It's really comfortable and pleasing in the hand, it just fits well any way you pick it up. And those of you who have held Bill's pieces in hand, you know how incredible they look and feel.

Mine was the pick of the litter. I call it "Nathan Jr."

May 13th, '10, 00:17

by LauraW » May 13th, '10, 00:17

I can't decide! I keep staring at your Etsy site and trying to pare it down - I don't need or want massive amounts of teaware; I don't have the room for it, and I can't think of any shapes/sizes that I don't have and need... which makes it harder, because I love staring at them. I think I've narrowed it down to 3... Might be able to get 2 of them. I can possibly stretch the budget that far. But which one to leave for some other lucky person?

May 16th, '10, 08:22

by T-session » May 16th, '10, 08:22

Hi,
Just some quick pictures of some new yunomis, a matcha chawan and tea container I made recently. I am giving a wood-fire workshop this weekend and have been really busy getting ready for that lately. If you want to check out some more pictures of that you can go to http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=splitfirepottery
(Try clicking on this link to view them.)

More pictures soon...
Cheers,
Bill

May 16th, '10, 22:08

by Littlepig2 » May 16th, '10, 22:08

Looks like you have a great bunch there!

May 17th, '10, 04:24
Vendor Member

by IPT » May 17th, '10, 04:24

I just received this awesome Chawan from Bill Perrine. I love it. It reminds me of an old John Ford Western, and I half expect to see John Wayne come riding by the mountains. It's a beautiful piece that has a place of honor in my tearoom.
Attachments
Moon.jpg
Moon.jpg (37.67 KiB) Viewed 697 times
Mountain.jpg
Mountain.jpg (36.29 KiB) Viewed 697 times
Inside.jpg
Inside.jpg (41.16 KiB) Viewed 697 times

May 17th, '10, 18:16
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » May 17th, '10, 18:16

I nearly got the package today - but unfortunately all I got was an invitation to go to the post office to pay customs duty £13.50 - they must have decided your works of art are worth a hefty duty!

May 18th, '10, 08:46

by T-session » May 18th, '10, 08:46

Herb_mas... wrote:I nearly got the package today - but unfortunately all I got was an invitation to go to the post office to pay customs duty £13.50 - they must have decided your works of art are worth a hefty duty!
Holy smokes, can you believe it!? Sorry that happened. I can send them an invoice, e-mail or something if that would help. I am not familiar with this practice.
Let me know if I can do anything to help.
Bill

May 18th, '10, 08:55

by T-session » May 18th, '10, 08:55

T-session wrote:FREE YUNOMI
It's giveaway time! I am giving this yunomi to a lucky friend from teachat. All you need to do is become a follower on my blog and leave a comment about the favorite tea you would have in this. Go to splitfirepottery.blogspot.com for the next step. Good luck!
And free shipping, of course. :D
Just a reminder... The drawing is on Sunday eve. You still have time to apply a chance to win this free yunomi and there's a nice mug available too. There's instructions on the blog post about what to do. I've heard that there are quite a few folks that like to drink tea out of a beautiful mug too. Only 22 people so far for two prizes. Pretty good odds still.

Also lots of the wood fire workshop pictures on last night's post. I am going to post more tonight or Wednesday night.

May 18th, '10, 13:32
Vendor Member

by IPT » May 18th, '10, 13:32

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I can't access blogspot from here!!!

May 18th, '10, 17:07

by iannon » May 18th, '10, 17:07

IPT wrote::cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I can't access blogspot from here!!!

i can!!
but I cant access the follow or post parts... Ditto the Whaa

May 18th, '10, 20:02

by Herb_Master » May 18th, '10, 20:02

T-session wrote: Holy smokes, can you believe it!? Sorry that happened. I can send them an invoice, e-mail or something if that would help. I am not familiar with this practice.
Bill
Not much you can do, Post Office staff are highly regulated / and customs and excise take no prisoners! :D

This happens from time to time - Foodstuffs are exempt (though fresh fruit and veg, meat etc are banned totally).

Otherwise all items are liable to duty - there is an allowance on small gifts (can't recall the value that is allowed)

I have made about 100 orders over the last 3 years and about 10 have incurred the wrath of Customs - there does not seem to be consistent logic applied to which will and which won't get charged.
Perhaps it depends on how busy, tired, officious the staff on duty are.

That said many of the Chinese exporters (possibly being 'Inscrutable') mislabel the product on the customes declaration, either undervaluing it, or in the case of mixed tea and teaware labelling it as 'tea and small gifts'

May 18th, '10, 20:04

by Herb_Master » May 18th, '10, 20:04

I must get to the Post Office soon, If I don't pay the duty within 7 days - it gets sent back to you!

May 18th, '10, 20:33

by JBaymore » May 18th, '10, 20:33

T-session wrote: Holy smokes, can you believe it!? Sorry that happened. I can send them an invoice, e-mail or something if that would help. I am not familiar with this practice.
Bill
Bill,

One thing I have learned in doing international shipping is to research the export codes for the commercial invoices...and the associated taxes, and duty. You don't want to mis-represent, but sometimes an object can be interpreted many ways. Ceramic pieces are often one such category. Ceramics can be "tablewares", "fine art", "pottery products", and so on. Depending on the country, some of these categories can end up paying VAT and/or duties... and the same object listed the other way can be tax and duty free.

I learned this when shipping work to Japan for exhibitions. Wrong code and get nailed. Correct code and all home free.

It is all about a little string of numbers. :wink:

best,

.....................john

May 19th, '10, 06:34

by T-session » May 19th, '10, 06:34

http://splitfirepottery.blogspot.com/20 ... r-tea.html

Try this for the giveaway on my blog, my wife gave me a tutorial on how to make a link. There are lots of wood fire workshop pictures on the post newer than the giveaway if you want.
Also thank you for the advice John, I will check into that.

+ Post Reply