Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Sep 13th, '15, 22:19

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by chrl42 » Sep 13th, '15, 22:19

Puerlife wrote:Japan met China on my tea table today and it went very well. The green gaiwan is the brewing vessel but the blue one has two uses. I pour the hot water into it and let it cool, then pour it onto the leaves, and after that the tea goes back into the blue one, ready to drink. Until today the blue one was then my cup but now I have cups that make the tea taste better and they are Chinese cups from the 80s, so the blue gaiwan is now the serving pitcher.
My new infrared hotplate and glazed ceramic kettle continues to delight me with its performance, and the cups are the critical final piece of teaware that makes the infusion a success.
So many flowers :D

Elegant.

Sep 18th, '15, 10:36

by Tead Off » Sep 18th, '15, 10:36

Hosuien matcha in a guro Seto bowl. Green against the black is so lovely.
Guroseto.jpg
Guroseto.jpg (39.79 KiB) Viewed 1151 times

Sep 20th, '15, 06:09

by Tead Off » Sep 20th, '15, 06:09

Matcha in shino...... :lol: :lol:
Shino.jpg
Shino.jpg (48.31 KiB) Viewed 1131 times

Sep 20th, '15, 11:00

by Puerlife » Sep 20th, '15, 11:00

chrl42 wrote:
Puerlife wrote:Japan met China on my tea table today and it went very well. The green gaiwan is the brewing vessel but the blue one has two uses. I pour the hot water into it and let it cool, then pour it onto the leaves, and after that the tea goes back into the blue one, ready to drink. Until today the blue one was then my cup but now I have cups that make the tea taste better and they are Chinese cups from the 80s, so the blue gaiwan is now the serving pitcher.
My new infrared hotplate and glazed ceramic kettle continues to delight me with its performance, and the cups are the critical final piece of teaware that makes the infusion a success.
So many flowers :D

Elegant.
Hi, I just noticed your comment. So kind of you to say so. Until not long ago I preferred muted earth tones in everything but now I've become quite the flower child :D

Sep 21st, '15, 00:54

by bryan_drinks_tea » Sep 21st, '15, 00:54

Today was a super green day.
I started off with sae midori from o-cha, it was great as always.
Around midnight tonight I was feeling like I needed something more, so I brewed the gyokuro suimei from den's, really taking my time to make sure that I did it right. It really paid off, and I'm feeling relaxed now, but my gut is burning something fierce. I'll take a few days off to let my insides heal, haha.

Sep 22nd, '15, 21:56
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 22nd, '15, 21:56

In Saigon drinking a (supposedly) higher grade green from Dalat. Sweet and pleasant flavor from smaller, younger leaves. Around $5 for 100g at the main market that caters to tourists. Headed to Chinatown with a Vietnamese friend later. :)

EDIT: bought a bunch of tea yesterday; 500g at Chinatown and 250g at a local chain of coffee stores called Phuc Long. The Thai Nguyen tea I've bought is made with substantially larger leaves than the Dalat tea I bought, so I guess the price paid wasn't that bad.

Vietnamese green tea on the whole is mild, so the Dalat stuff is appreciably better, but it doesn't make a world of difference in the cup.
The guy at Ben Thanh was really trying to push more on me, but I wasn't sure about the price. If I didn't have about a kilo of Vietnamese green to take home, I'd consider buying more!

With the visa-free access to Vietnam I now get, I'll be back again next year. Cheap hotels and airfare and great food. This is my new favorite holiday destination. :)

Sep 26th, '15, 22:02

by debunix » Sep 26th, '15, 22:02

Started today with a pleasant session with Liu An Gua Pian, another of the competition tasting set from Tea Habitat, but it was already warming up sufficiently to cut short the hot tea infusions--not really the best conditions to appreciate such a lovely tea. After some more of the usual cooler-brewed oolong, I'm really appreciating chilled sparkling sencha. So very nice while I'm stuck working with a too-warm laptop computer on my lap.

Sep 26th, '15, 22:31
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 26th, '15, 22:31

Drinking green tea picked and processed by the Hmong in Lung Phin, in the far north of Vietnam. This is from wild trees at high altitude; interesting stuff, with aromatics that remind me of good high mountain oolong (just much milder). Good stuff and a pleasure to drink; distinctively different from the standard Thai Nguyen stuff sold all over Vietnam.
Last edited by jayinhk on Sep 26th, '15, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.

Sep 26th, '15, 22:35

by Teaarch » Sep 26th, '15, 22:35

Had sencha twice today (Shuppincha HG by way of Horaido). First brew in the morning was good, second in the afternoon was a bit better, though I'm still getting a bit too much astringency. Still trying to dial this one in (this one's rather more finicky than I thought), but I can taste the notes of sweet/delicious flavor underneath some of the more harsher notes. All around a pretty good day.

Sep 26th, '15, 23:11

by debunix » Sep 26th, '15, 23:11

jayinhk wrote:Drinking green tea picked and processed by the Hmong in Lung Phin, in the far north of Vietnam. This is from wild trees at high altitude; interesting stuff, with aromatics that remind me of good high mountain oolong (just much milder). Good stuff and a pleasure to drink; distinctively different from the standard Thai Nguyen stuff sold all over Vietnam.
Sounds delicious!

Sep 26th, '15, 23:42
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 26th, '15, 23:42

Definitely interesting stuff, and the kill green was done in a pan over a wood fire. Only 4kg a day can be processed that way!

Sep 27th, '15, 22:11

by davidglass » Sep 27th, '15, 22:11

I am brewing O-Cha's Yame gyokuro at 130F (instead of 140F) for 2 minutes and getting some good flavor. I am using 1.2 g per ounce of water.
Here is my question:
What is the best gyokuro you have had recently, and how do you brew it (grams per ounce, time, temperature)?
Thank you, tea connoisseurs, in advance.

Sep 27th, '15, 22:51

by debunix » Sep 27th, '15, 22:51

I'm not a gyo connossieur, but very much enjoyed a hotter brew with Gyoku-Hou from O-Cha recently, starting probably more dilute than most gyo fans, at 170 degrees, and making a series of infusions, starting about 1 minute, then a shorter 2nd infusion of the already hydrated tea, and slowly increasing time and temperature for 5-7 total infusions.

I was quite sad to discover I've run out, and now I have to finish some sencha before I can order more. I'm brewing it cool, sometimes with sparkling water. Poor sencha--I am resenting it a little bit, which is not fair to the tea!

Sep 30th, '15, 00:13
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 30th, '15, 00:13

Chiran Meicha. Been a long time since I've had any sencha. Man, this is a nice change from roasted Vietnamese greens.

Sep 30th, '15, 15:21

by NateHevens » Sep 30th, '15, 15:21

Cold-brewed gunpowder. It's really good... and helping me get rid of my teas that I can't get rid of otherwise.

I'm really loving this cold brew thing. It's absolutely awesome.

I've yet to try the putting ice over leaf and letting it melt. I want to try that... but maybe next summer...

+ Post Reply