Where to get the best Tie Guan Yin

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jun 23rd, '10, 06:33

Re: Where to get the best Tie Guan Yin

by britt » Jun 23rd, '10, 06:33

This is more expensive than the limit you set but it still deserves being mentioned:

HouDe Select * 2009 Spring Mu-Zha Tie Guan Yin, Hand-Harvested

http://www.houdeasianart.com/index.php? ... ts_id=1179

This was as good as any TGY I've tried. Initially I brewed this in moderately thick porcelain. It was good enough that I never tried clay for this particular TGY.

I don't remember how many infusions this was good for but in general I've found I get enough from most of Hou De's oolongs that it helps balance the price difference when compared to lower priced teas that don't stand up well.

Jun 23rd, '10, 15:33
Scrolling: scrolling

by pb2q » Jun 23rd, '10, 15:33

britt wrote:HouDe Select * 2009 Spring Mu-Zha Tie Guan Yin, Hand-Harvested [...] I don't remember how many infusions this was good for but in general I've found I get enough from most of Hou De's oolongs that it helps balance the price difference when compared to lower priced teas that don't stand up well.
This tea never stood up to many infusions for me, only 5-6.

Jun 24th, '10, 04:55

by JD » Jun 24th, '10, 04:55

$30 for only 2oz? Sheesh.. I might stick with Jas-ETea's premium TGY.

Jul 5th, '10, 16:18

by chef07172 » Jul 5th, '10, 16:18

Some of the best Oolongs I have received are from Aura teas in Canada. I would give them a try. I usually deal with them and specialteas. http://aurateas.com/cata-tea-oolong-tea.aspx

Jul 10th, '10, 17:45

by JD » Jul 10th, '10, 17:45

Well, looks like the Jas Etea premium TGY is garbage. I did a couple infusions that tasted like dirt. So that TGY is out.

If Specialteas had a darker roasted TGY, I'd get that since their prices are a lot cheaper than everyone else.

Jul 10th, '10, 23:11

by chittychat » Jul 10th, '10, 23:11

Where to get the best Tie Guan Yin seems now more difficult to answer after it turns out the term TGY can now be used unfortunately broadly to include the entire family of teas produced in southern Fujian. Or those from Taiwan using the TGY process.

You do not want to get them from sellers in China you say. It takes only 6 days to ship to the US. Anyhow I had excellent real Tie Guan Yin tea from Teaspring and formerly from Funalliance at affordable prices.

Jul 11th, '10, 06:45

by JD » Jul 11th, '10, 06:45

It doesn't take 6 days for me.. it takes 4 or more weeks.

Jul 12th, '10, 01:08

by entropyembrace » Jul 12th, '10, 01:08

chittychat wrote:Where to get the best Tie Guan Yin seems now more difficult to answer after it turns out the term TGY can now be used unfortunately broadly to include the entire family of teas produced in southern Fujian. Or those from Taiwan using the TGY process.
my understanding is TGY is a varietal not a process, so it doesn´t matter where it´s grown or how it´s processed it´s still TGY.

on the other hand there are southern fujian oolongs processed as lightly oxidized, lightly roasted ball oolongs which are not TGY...such as Rou Gui and Mao Xie...again they´re defined by the varietal of the tea bush...and aren´t always processed the same or grown in the same place.

Also as far as I can tell the definition of TGY as being a varietal is nothing new...I have TGY from the 80´s that is heavily roasted and rolled into strips like yancha not the balls we typically associate with TGY.

Jul 15th, '10, 23:36

by Tead Off » Jul 15th, '10, 23:36

It will matter where it's grown and how it's processed just like all teas. The soil in different places vary considerably. Many factors contribute to the quality of the leaves. Then, there is the processing, which will also vary according to the ability of the tea master in charge of processing the picked leaves. No 2 teas are the same. There will always be differences.

Now, which is the best? :lol:

Jul 16th, '10, 00:01

by entropyembrace » Jul 16th, '10, 00:01

Tead Off wrote:It will matter where it's grown and how it's processed just like all teas. The soil in different places vary considerably. Many factors contribute to the quality of the leaves. Then, there is the processing, which will also vary according to the ability of the tea master in charge of processing the picked leaves. No 2 teas are the same. There will always be differences.

Now, which is the best? :lol:
I know it makes a difference in what the tea tastes, smells and looks like...but it´s still TGY :)

Jul 24th, '10, 00:12

by Tead Off » Jul 24th, '10, 00:12

Yes, still TGY, but there will always be differences like Burgundies grown in France vs. Napa/Sonoma. They are not allowed to call it Burgundy in the States as this name is reserved for French use only. And, there are great differences in the wines.

Aug 3rd, '10, 14:59

by tenuki » Aug 3rd, '10, 14:59

Tea_Rex wrote:Muzha Tieguanyin from Floatings Leaves in Seattle. After my initial sample from them, I have ordered this tea 3 times. In fact, I have not had a bad tea from Floating Leaves.
+1 - this is one of my daily drinkers.
AdamMY wrote:Tea Gallery for their Classic Roast TGY.
+1

Aug 3rd, '10, 15:04

by tenuki » Aug 3rd, '10, 15:04

Dresden wrote:I will have to look into that FLT Muzha... I like to drink grandpa style when I'm camping.

that's how I drink it, it's a great tea for grandpa style. :)

Aug 3rd, '10, 16:38

by Tea_Rex » Aug 3rd, '10, 16:38

tenuki wrote:
Dresden wrote:I will have to look into that FLT Muzha... I like to drink grandpa style when I'm camping.
that's how I drink it, it's a great tea for grandpa style. :)
It is a good grandpa style tea as well as a good gong fu style tea. And I also cold brew it the nights before Little League games which are usually played far from any source of refreshment. I find people staring at my jar probably wondering what those leaves are floating in there.

Aug 17th, '10, 15:24

by ebauer » Aug 17th, '10, 15:24

Do you mean Ti Quan Yin? Harney and sons have some. Everrything I have gotten from them has been good. It is at harney.com. Another place to try is Seven Cups. sevencupsdenver.com. Seven cups teas are a bit more expensive but maybe they do not deal with the volume as Harney and sons. Harney's has great plain teas of great value. But they also have some signature blends that they have created.

+ Post Reply