Wednesday TeaDay 2/16/11 Teaware details.

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

I have not asked this for a while and tastes change, what is your fave teaware, country, region, style. For the poll, just the country of origin! Please share details!

Chinese
40%
Japanese
48%
Korean
5%
European
No votes
Indian
No votes
American
No votes
Other
7%

Total votes: 42

Feb 18th, '11, 01:41

Re: Wednesday TeaDay 2/16/11 Teaware details.

by BioHorn » Feb 18th, '11, 01:41

Chip wrote:
BioHorn wrote:Funny no one has mentioned Korea. There was some beautiful teaware at Seoul Incheon International Airport Cultural Museum of Korea. They also had some exquisite live music.

p.s. Any Korean teaheads here on TC?
Check out KarmaPlace's post above!

I think I have purchased more Korean teaware than Chinese ... but far less than Japanese.

Still brewing the #1 from Pu-OTTI ...
Nice to see one other vote from Korea.
Should have caught that! Thanks for pointing out KP's post.
I imagine that with their history, Korea may hold some pretty basal pottery techniques from China and Japan.
Maybe KP can elaborate.

I'll post pics tomorrow.

Feb 18th, '11, 10:15

by karmaplace » Feb 18th, '11, 10:15

BioHorn wrote: I imagine that with their history, Korea may hold some pretty basal pottery techniques from China and Japan.
Maybe KP can elaborate.
I'm not sure about all the details, but for centuries, perhaps even thousands of years, both Korea and Japan were heavily inspired and influenced by the Chinese. Korea had closer relations with China than Japan did, so if I generalize, Korea took from China, and Japan took from Korea, essentially.

During Hideyoshi's invasions of Korea (in the late 1500s), many Korean artisans were kidnapped and brought to Japan to practice and teach their crafts. One example is Yi Sam-Pyeong, who is considered the father of Arita porcelain. Many Koreans would argue that all Japanese pottery is, at its origin, Korean.

I think that Korea has a longer history of ceramics and pottery than Japan, but I think nowadays Japanese wares are much more popular internationally.

I apologize for any unintentional inaccuracies. I learned a lot about Hideyoshi's invasions, but not in detail on how they relate to teaware. :lol:

Feb 18th, '11, 20:06

by BioHorn » Feb 18th, '11, 20:06

karmaplace wrote:
I'm not sure about all the details, but for centuries, perhaps even thousands of years, both Korea and Japan were heavily inspired and influenced by the Chinese. Korea had closer relations with China than Japan did, so if I generalize, Korea took from China, and Japan took from Korea, essentially.

During Hideyoshi's invasions of Korea (in the late 1500s), many Korean artisans were kidnapped and brought to Japan to practice and teach their crafts. One example is Yi Sam-Pyeong, who is considered the father of Arita porcelain. Many Koreans would argue that all Japanese pottery is, at its origin, Korean.

I think that Korea has a longer history of ceramics and pottery than Japan, but I think nowadays Japanese wares are much more popular internationally.

I apologize for any unintentional inaccuracies. I learned a lot about Hideyoshi's invasions, but not in detail on how they relate to teaware. :lol:
Thank you for the information. Seems that Korea's interactions with China and Japan are quite complicated.
Here is the piece I picked up in the Airport in Seoul (by Kim Gap-sun, Dankook University):

Feb 19th, '11, 01:02

by Tadpole » Feb 19th, '11, 01:02

Late as usual, but--

I voted Chinese teaware because I love gaiwans and Ru Kiln ware. Gaiwans are amazingly simple, functional, versatile. They are round and symmetrical. This makes me happy! They are teapots AND teacups. How ingenious! I could stare at my gaiwans all day if I didn't have to work, go to school, do laundry, pay bills, go to the bathroom.... My favorite glaze at the moment is celadon, specifically Ru Kiln type. The semi-gloss surface looks so buttery. I also like things that grow more beautiful with use. Ru Kiln ware has fine crackles throughout the glaze, which darken over time from tea stains. Lovely!