Puerh that got you drunk

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

May 17th, '12, 03:35
Vendor Member

Re: Puerh that got you drunk

by TwoDog2 » May 17th, '12, 03:35

shah82 wrote: a very big sensation in the throat, like you're drinking Ben Gay.

Camphor? Whatever I had was likely not good, it was very flat without much complexity. And no camphor :(

May 17th, '12, 07:32

by auhckw » May 17th, '12, 07:32

Very much related to this topic...

2012 Manner Raw Puerh

From Lao Man Er area. Chiao Mu from 500+ years old tree. Same like it's previous years production from this vendor, this tea is freaking extraordinary bitter (but in a very pleasant way - bitter sweet aftertaste) when it is new. From the 1st brew itself the bitter starts to give the chill.

Not only that, the amazing tea about this tea is that it gives me dizziness and heat up the back starting from 3rd brew onwards. I have to stop at about 6th (10 seconds soak) not because the tea is bitter but because I cannot take it anymore. Getting high.

This tea (and its previous year) is probably the tea that gets me drunk quickly. The bitterness reduces as the years goes by, but the effect remains same.

May 17th, '12, 09:59

by gasninja » May 17th, '12, 09:59

chrl42 wrote:This is a jest, of course.

Qi existed long before they discovered DMT. Whatever the correct using of a term, one should give more credit to local Chinese.

It's like translating Zhou Yi or TCM..if trying to understand that in the line of what Westerners have done (not to say Tim is)..one could get a pain in the butt before even moving to a next chapter :wink:
Well since dmt is naturally released in the human brain and has been used for tens if not hundreds of thousands of years by indigenous peoples shamans in one form or another, and is found in countless natural substances I would say it's been around allot longer than Pu-erh and most likely has been in use longer than tea in general. Plus since its found in your brain wouldn't it still be effecting people long before they could ever put cammellia leaves in water.
Now whether it has been around longer tha qi in the true sence of the word well. I wouldn't think it could be possible but you never know.

May 17th, '12, 11:52

by brose » May 17th, '12, 11:52

TIM wrote:Qi = DMT
Tea drunk = Effects of DMT
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyltryptamine

Enjoy the ride. But make sure you are on the right ship :wink:
Thanks, DMT appears to be very responsible for 'tea drunkenness', the biosynthetic pathway seems very plausible, I'll have to find some more to read. I have not found a study that reports theanine/caffiene combo causing the same effect, initially I though that it might, but DMT makes much more sense.

May 17th, '12, 13:02

by fdrx » May 17th, '12, 13:02

They say DMT is destroyed into stomach by some enzime. maybe it's not exactly DMT but others molecules kind of similar to this one?
just to say because i have no idea what i'm talking about :lol:

May 17th, '12, 14:45
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » May 17th, '12, 14:45

fdrx wrote:They say DMT is destroyed into stomach by some enzime. maybe it's not exactly DMT but others molecules kind of similar to this one?
I'm glad to see that somebody actually read the section on "oral ingestion," which explains why DMT is probably not responsible for tea drunkenness....

Unless, of course, if the tea also has a MAO inhibitor... and it doesn't look like tea is listed as having MAOIs (yerba mate is, though....).

May 17th, '12, 14:50
Vendor Member

by TIM » May 17th, '12, 14:50

Drax wrote:
fdrx wrote:They say DMT is destroyed into stomach by some enzime. maybe it's not exactly DMT but others molecules kind of similar to this one?
I'm glad to see that somebody actually read the section on "oral ingestion," which explains why DMT is probably not responsible for tea drunkenness....

Unless, of course, if the tea also has a MAO inhibitor... and it doesn't look like tea is listed as having MAOIs (yerba mate is, though....).
How about cigar? :roll:

May 17th, '12, 18:21

by Drax » May 17th, '12, 18:21

TIM wrote:
Drax wrote:

How about cigar? :roll:
Perhaps. But sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar.... :wink:

May 17th, '12, 21:32

by the_economist » May 17th, '12, 21:32

Even in the West, tea drunkenness has been documented :)
Came across this newspaper article from the early 1900s, enjoy:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=3 ... 29,1589102

May 18th, '12, 00:39

by tingjunkie » May 18th, '12, 00:39

That article is great! Good find. :)

May 18th, '12, 07:47

by David R. » May 18th, '12, 07:47

the_economist wrote:Even in the West, tea drunkenness has been documented :)
What ? French people on strike again ??? You gotta be kidding me ! 8)

May 25th, '12, 05:25
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » May 25th, '12, 05:25

David R. wrote:
the_economist wrote:Even in the West, tea drunkenness has been documented :)
What ? French people on strike again ??? You gotta be kidding me ! 8)
This made me chuckle. I have only been to Paris twice, and both times, there were large scale strikes :lol:

May 25th, '12, 05:59

by David R. » May 25th, '12, 05:59

Yeah, we only do it to entertain the tourists. We have a reputation to uphold ! :lol:

May 25th, '12, 15:16

by teaisme » May 25th, '12, 15:16

hehe dmt=qi?
Perhaps...but I am skeptical, isn't that stuff decently time consuming to extract to be effective in oral form?

But perhaps in very low doses this idea might fill in some nice spaces as to the effects of certain high quality teas...inability/not wanting to move at all, feeling of being transported out somewhere else, shifts in perception of time...hah I'm starting to convince myself :lol:

May 26th, '12, 18:28

by wh&yel-apprentice » May 26th, '12, 18:28

TIM wrote:Image

2011 Fall Lao BenZhang. A connoisseur tea, not for beginner. Aggressive qi that hit the forehead and spread to paralyze one's mind and body.
paralyze? literally? No tea can do that, rflmao...this is kind of like one of the frequent 'most potent' threads on the cannabis forums, lol. Always a bunch of lightweights that skew the bell curve :)
TIM wrote: Unless, of course, if the tea also has a MAO inhibitor... and it doesn't look like tea is listed as having MAOIs (yerba mate is, though....).
How about cigar? :roll:[/quote] Cigar's are even more gross/disgusting in flavor/aroma than the stinkiest weed, imho

...and yes tea *is* a MAOI

+ Post Reply