Let's make a list of teas with strong cha-qi

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Sep 26th, '12, 10:01

Re: Let's make a list of teas with strong cha-qi

by bryan_drinks_tea » Sep 26th, '12, 10:01

wyardley wrote:I think this is way too subjective a subject to have some kind of list.
Exactly.

Sep 26th, '12, 17:59
Scrolling: scrolling

by Lerxst2112 » Sep 26th, '12, 17:59

bryan_drinks_tea wrote:I'm just not convinced by this thread. Yes, some people feel different effects from different teas. But a definitive list...no.
Take for example - Jess, I hope you don't mind me using you as an example.
When Jess first tried the 2008 Dayi Hong Yun Shu - she lit up! glowy, heart sped up, I believe she mentioned it felt like a panic attack.
The first time I tried the tea, I just felt a little warm. It's only one example, but you folks get the picture.
*laughs* Bryan is quite correct. Mind, he's more of a "veteran" than I to shu-puerh, and it was my first go-around with that tea. There was sweating at the small of the back, my face was red, pulse elevated, and just an immense feeling of heat and tightness along the chest. It was similar to the warm, sweaty feel of a panic attack. Difference was, there was no change in vision, no light-headedness, no tingling, and no auditory changes that are associated with a panic attack. I think a lot had to do with mindset as well. Since then, when drinking a shu, I kinda know what to expect, and, as such, embrace the feel not get worried about it. Kind of like getting stoned for the first time.... :lol:

I agree with the subjectivity of such a thing. You can't do a general catch-all. If you want to make a list, make one that affected you, and see if others agree. I just cringed when I saw the association of cha qi and caffeine. Two different animals.

Sep 26th, '12, 19:12
Vendor Member

by ethan » Sep 26th, '12, 19:12

Lerxtt2012 et. al. An exercise in logic (perhaps):
If you can get used to the tea, & stay calm as its effects start (the same as those of a panic attack); then, you can do the same as a panic attack begins. Thus, you don't panic, the effects are lessened... to wit, there is no panic attack. Likewise, w/ the tea, as one adjusts to it, one weakens its effects: one has resisted.... so, there is no "qi"

Wow, I've bored myself. Seemed better before I typed.

Sep 28th, '12, 05:05

by ChengduCha » Sep 28th, '12, 05:05

I like how these kind of threads quickly derail into an argument about the nature and existence of cha qi. :lol:

Sep 28th, '12, 17:42

by apache » Sep 28th, '12, 17:42

This was probably the first time I sweat while drinking pu. This morning I had a session before work with a colleague. A little bit excessive using over 8g of 2003 Dayi No.5 Green Cake with heavy handed brewing. In the morning I just can't taste much with any tea and this was no exception, but I felt the effect halfway through the session. I felt like firing up even in a fairly cold morning.

Sep 29th, '12, 04:16

by ChengduCha » Sep 29th, '12, 04:16

The best reproduceable cha qi (calm peaceful energy) for me surprisingly came from very cheap tuo cha which got me into pu erh in the first place. It didn't taste remarkable, but that wasn't what I drank it for.

Unfortunately I can't get this particular brand anymore and I'm now venturing to get similar effects from more expensive shengs and shus, with limited success so far.

+ Post Reply