Favorite black tea poll.

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Country of origin of your favorite BLACK tea?

China
43%
India
45%
Indonesia
No votes
Kenya
3%
Nepal
No votes
Sri Lanka
8%
Taiwan
No votes
Other
1%

Total votes: 119

Nov 17th, '08, 15:16

by chad » Nov 17th, '08, 15:16

Current favorite "black" tea is Margaret's Hope Darjeeling - hence a vote for India.

That may change. :D

Nov 22nd, '08, 19:50

by treazure » Nov 22nd, '08, 19:50

I wanted to vote for India and China. I love Assam's either standalone or in a blend but China teas were my first love - Oolong from an upper scale Chinese restaurant in Washington, D.C. with real Chinese cuisine, not Americanized Chinese.

I have to admit though that there are few black teas that I don't love. Weeeeeeeell, unless someone throws flowers, mint or Rooibos in it, then I gag.
Jeanne - I never met a tea pot I didn't like.

Nov 22nd, '08, 20:53

by kymidwife » Nov 22nd, '08, 20:53

India FTW!

I am currently loving Darjeelings, 1st and 2nd flushes, above all other black teas, and maybe even above my favorite oolongs, although that's a tough one to call. I am also happily enjoying some Nilgiri samples courtesy of several Teachatter friends (thanks!)... and if you like Darjeeling, you should really try the Glendale Handmade. It's very, very good.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Nov 22nd, '08, 22:12
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Nov 22nd, '08, 22:12

Wow, this is sort of twilight zoney -- having a thread resurrected after an 8 month hiatus and everybody hopping back as though there were no break!

I can't vote in this poll, though. In my recent foray into tea (I guess I've only been going on it strong for one month now), I went from green to oolong and then straight to puerh. I have no black tea in my place. Hmmm. I did have a lipton (or was it twinings?) black pearl tea a few nights ago at a friends' place (came in those pyramid bags). It was okay.

I guess I should be looking to either china or india for a good black tea, though? (:

Nov 22nd, '08, 22:40

by Proinsias » Nov 22nd, '08, 22:40

China wins, it produces qimen.

I love Darjeeling teas but I struggle to believe much of the Darjeeling I drink fits into the category of black tea, the category of black tea as it is in my head at least.

But in my head black tea is lui bao and the like, not red tea.

My head hurts.

Nov 22nd, '08, 22:48

by geeber1 » Nov 22nd, '08, 22:48

Indian for me. I love Nilgiri tea and Assams, with a couple of Darjeelings thrown in. My next choice would be Sri Lanka, because Ceylons are very nice also.

Nov 23rd, '08, 08:30

by Riene » Nov 23rd, '08, 08:30

China black teas--Yunnan teas, specificially. Indian Assams used to rank highest with me, then I tangled my tastebuds with Yunnan...oh my, instant love.
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty

Nov 23rd, '08, 13:37

by Lord Brown » Nov 23rd, '08, 13:37

The subtle nuances of an astringent FF Darjeeling...the full bodied muscatel of a SF...these teas will hold primacy of position always within my tea heart. A citrusy Yunnan from China and a bright, malty Assam come in second.

Nov 27th, '08, 14:06

by treazure » Nov 27th, '08, 14:06

After entering my vote I looked through the teas in the tea cabinet. They are pretty much 50% India and 50% China. The difference is the Assams and Kemums in our drink all day teas, but the greatest variety is in the China teas.

I glug my Irish Breakfast tea down without thinking, but the China teas make me stop and pay attention. Tea is amazing.
Jeanne - I never met a tea pot I didn't like.

Nov 27th, '08, 14:44

by Victoria » Nov 27th, '08, 14:44

Since I first voted in February, although I do love Darjeeling, Nilgiri now reigns supreme. Assams and Ceylons are gone from my collection.

Dec 2nd, '08, 00:19

by Janine » Dec 2nd, '08, 00:19

I have been craving black teas lately, after years of focusing on puerh and *be still my heart* oolongs. Oh for the memory of a particular wuyi shui xian...

But back to the subject! I went to Harney Teas tasting room a few weeks ago and both my husband and I got our sample limit so I have been happily trying out black tea samples. I have gone with China and so far have deeply loved a Tippy Yunan, Panyang Golden Needle, a Golden Hunan and needless to say Keemun MaoFeng. At this point I am seriously eyeing two different Hao Ya's to try. I have also tried Queens Red from the Tea Gallery that was full bodied coupled with a spot of brightness that complimented it, and am intrigued to try their Rose Red...

However, an extremely kind person gave me a sample of a Darjeeling to swoon for. I'm not a fan of astringency.. give me full body and maltiness any day. But this one was special and had that slight perfume and a subtle depth that lingered and stealthily returned long after I finished drinking. The oolong older sister was in those leaves.

So... I'm crazy for China hong cha (since I learned the proper term today). But I have a lot of black teas to keep trying that I don't know yet.

Dec 2nd, '08, 11:24

by Janine » Dec 2nd, '08, 11:24

PS I am planning to be in San Francisco at Christmas time... I am going to try nearly every single black tea on the Imperial Tea Court website if they are in stock. IIRC they are all China blacks and I know they will be yummy.

Yes, I've become a wolf for black teas. Maybe it's a disease. I know at least some of you out there can relate to me.

Yumm....

Dec 4th, '08, 12:51

by stanthegoomba » Dec 4th, '08, 12:51

Mmmmm... Yunnan Gold to kick off the afternoon exam study.

And I have a 10oz yixing pot that's perfect for it. (Must get a camera.)

Dec 17th, '08, 03:32

by lydia » Dec 17th, '08, 03:32

Golden monkey is the favourite black tea to me. I also like darjeeling but if comparing the tea appearance, I will vote golden monkey from China. :wink:

Dec 20th, '08, 09:14

by toastedtoads » Dec 20th, '08, 09:14

I said India for the sheer fact that I have more Assams and Darjeelings than Chinese blacks. In the tasting room the Chinese blacks rule supreme, as that is the preference of the boys that make the tea of the moments. However, every once in a while they'll make my favorite Assam (full-leaf from Mangalam) or a lovely FF or SF Darjeeling, and it's nice to have a change.

I have a feeling that if they made Indian teas all day, and it was a special treat to have a Keemun, that my preference might be different.

+ Post Reply