Sunday/TeaDay 6/22/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Your 2 scents worth please, what is your favorite TeaScent?

Floral
21%
Fruity
16%
Sweet/honey
12%
Veggie...of the astringent kind
5%
Veggie...like corn
No votes
Nutty
5%
Smokey
No votes
Grassy
12%
Toasty
7%
Grainy
2%
Marine
No votes
Other
16%
I don't know where to begin for pu-erh, so all other pu aromas go here.
5%

Total votes: 43

Jun 22nd, '08, 18:00
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jun 22nd, '08, 18:00

Very hard to answer the poll, but probably floral is the best, natural not added.
I like sweet and honey and also fruity, all natural.

Which is why I love oolongs you can get a wide range of all these scents.

Having my favorite wuyi, De Ye from TeaCuppa. 3:00 here and it's my first cup.

Jun 22nd, '08, 18:19

by Tadpole » Jun 22nd, '08, 18:19

I tend towards floral/fruity/sweet. That probably explains why I drink mostly oolongs, though the occasional keemun, yunnan, darjeeling, or silver needle gets my attention.

For TKY's I prefer dark roasted for the heavier sweet fruity aftertaste.
I rate high mountain oolongs based on this order of importance: 1) peachy background 2) floral top note 3) sweetness rather than "gan" 4) viscosity/that thick butter taste common in these teas.
I like the flavor of Tie Luo Han (Wuyi) as much as dark roasted TKY, but prefer the rolled shape of TKY. Can't help it, I just like nugget shaped tea.
From reading the Oolong section here, it sounds like I would enjoy Dan Cong teas. Never had them before, my regular tea people don't have any. Looks like I'll have to order online to try.

I had a lychee boba tea from Chinatown this morning. I'm sure it was pure syrup blended with water and ice, but it was hot and muggy this morning :(

Jun 22nd, '08, 18:33

by Geekgirl » Jun 22nd, '08, 18:33

Round 3 with my Maeda-en Shincha. Much better this time, but still just a little bitter. 1st steep, we'll see how the second turns out.

Jun 22nd, '08, 18:50

by RussianSoul » Jun 22nd, '08, 18:50

chamekke wrote:I didn't vote because it's just about impossible for me to pick a single favourite flavour*. I love the grassiness of Japanese greens, but am also very fond of fruitiness (see above), nuttiness (literal and figurative), and so forth. Even floral qualities are welcome when the flower happens to be jasmine.

Frankly, I don't know how people can make a choice on this one. I admire you voters' singlemindedness!

_______

*Surplus U's may be redeemed for points at the end of this posting.
I have to agree with chamekke. It is impossible for me to choose a single favorite flavor. I like them all: floral, fruity, sweet, vegetal, nutty, smoky in moderation, grassy, toasty, grainy and earthy. Different teas for different flavors - makes life fun. :D

Assam Mangalam in the morning, followed by shincha Hashiri. I am planning an evening tea now, perhaps Tai Ping Hou Kui.

chamekke, how do I redeem the extra U's please? :D

Sal and Geekgirl, gorgeous photos!
Last edited by RussianSoul on Jun 22nd, '08, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 22nd, '08, 18:51

by kymidwife » Jun 22nd, '08, 18:51

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:Round 3 with my Maeda-en Shincha. Much better this time, but still just a little bitter. 1st steep, we'll see how the second turns out.

I wonder if your Maeda-en Shincha is the same that I was working with yesterday... package says 2008 New Crop Shincha. Took me forever to get a non-bitter cup out of it... I had to go lower on temp and lower on brew time.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Jun 22nd, '08, 18:57

by Victoria » Jun 22nd, '08, 18:57

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:Round 3 with my Maeda-en Shincha. Much better this time, but still just a little bitter. 1st steep, we'll see how the second turns out.

I have a cup so close to this one, I think they were separated at birth.

Nic pic as always.

Jun 22nd, '08, 19:32

by Geekgirl » Jun 22nd, '08, 19:32

Victoria, wish I knew the pattern name, I really love it, especially the exterior color. It has no maker's stamp on it, which leads me to believe it's either occupation or diner ware. (Yes, "diner" not "dinner." Ha!)

Second steep:

midwifey: I know exactly what you mean, and think this is of mediocre quality at best, even though the leaves are that brilliant emerald green. Boy is it ever temperamental. I had to go all the way down to 150deg/90second 1st, and 140deg/40second 2nd including the pour. OMG. It's almost like gongfu except with a kyusu. LOL! BUT... this taste is what I remember from my first night's attempt with it- that "WOW, this is what sencha is about!"

Jun 22nd, '08, 19:45

by Victoria » Jun 22nd, '08, 19:45

Close? The pattern is different but the color and shape look the same.

Jun 22nd, '08, 19:45

by chamekke » Jun 22nd, '08, 19:45

RussianSoul wrote:
chamekke wrote:I didn't vote because it's just about impossible for me to pick a single favourite flavour*. I love the grassiness of Japanese greens, but am also very fond of fruitiness (see above), nuttiness (literal and figurative), and so forth. Even floral qualities are welcome when the flower happens to be jasmine.

Frankly, I don't know how people can make a choice on this one. I admire you voters' singlemindedness!

_______

*Surplus U's may be redeemed for points at the end of this posting.
chamekke, how do I redeem the extra U's please? :D
Get on the next flight to Hawai'i where you can trade them in for a muumuu!

Jun 22nd, '08, 19:54

by RussianSoul » Jun 22nd, '08, 19:54

chamekke wrote:
RussianSoul wrote: chamekke, how do I redeem the extra U's please? :D
Get on the next flight to Hawai'i where you can trade them in for a muumuu!
What a great idea! Image

I'll get right on it. Image

Jun 22nd, '08, 19:54

by henley » Jun 22nd, '08, 19:54

Sundays are always hectic days around here. Nice to finally settle in w/cuppa. Enjoying Feng Huang Winter Single Bush Dancong. It's very nice, especially since it's a light oolong. On my second steep. May have to go for a third. Thanx! :D

Jun 22nd, '08, 19:57

by Proinsias » Jun 22nd, '08, 19:57

I went with other as my current scent craving is for the wonderful sourness Imem's aged dancong has been providing me with. I hope it changes soon as this could be an expensive addiction.

One of my least favourite scents at the moment is the fake smokiness from some lapsang procured at a large department store in Edinburgh, the tea is actually quite nice if given a good rinse and I suspect there is some real smokiness there which has been artificially enhanced - have I just answered Monday's poll?

Jun 22nd, '08, 20:22

by Geekgirl » Jun 22nd, '08, 20:22

Victoria wrote:Image
Close? The pattern is different but the color and shape look the same.
Oh yeah, it's definitely the same line, different pattern. Homer Laughlin did a lot of this in the '50s. Is yours stamped with any kind of production mark?

Jun 22nd, '08, 20:29

by Victoria » Jun 22nd, '08, 20:29

no mark at all - and I have no matching saucers

Jun 22nd, '08, 21:01

by Geekgirl » Jun 22nd, '08, 21:01

Victoria wrote:no mark at all - and I have no matching saucers
Ha! Neither do I. They had a 1/2 set of these down at the antique mall. No saucers, but there was a sandwich plate that I didn't buy.