Saturday 6/28/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

On average, how much "tealiquid" do you drink per day?

16 ounces (475 ml)
9%
32 ounces, one quart (950 ml)
45%
64 ounces, half gallon (1.9 l)
27%
96 ounces, 3/4 gallon (2.850 l)
16%
128 ounces, one gallon (3.8 l)
2%
MORE?
No votes

Total votes: 44

Jun 28th, '08, 15:40
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 28th, '08, 15:40

tseirPsaduJ wrote:Have you or would you make a review of that Chip?
I will...the matcha karigane, right? It is quite different. It cannot be bought though. If you order from them during a special time period which will likely start anyday, they include it with your order...so, if you want it, wait to order til you see the announcement.

It is generous to send it as they did to me...and I think Olivier. They have to make it and package it and then ship it from Japan. Trally nice gesture.

I am cold brewing Fukamushi Supreme from O-Cha, ...from Russian Soul right now. Believe it or not my first ever cold brew attempt. Every thing I have read is different on how to cold brew. So, I guess it is pretty forgiving.

In my cup now...Hashiri.

So far...65 ounces. Or about 2 liters.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jun 28th, '08, 15:42

by Chip » Jun 28th, '08, 15:42

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:Varies widely, but at least 32 oz a day.

This morning: Yukata Midori Shincha ice brewed, (thanks scruff!) Very green, very bold. I think my preference runs to a slightly more subdued green, but ice brewed is very pleasing.

Now I'm on to iced tea. I'm trying to use up some older teas that I'm not crazy about. Iced tea seems to make them disappear more quickly. :lol: I'm drinking Teavana's Rooibos Tropica, which tastes a little bit like tropical fruit bubblicious. :shock: I cut it with Tao of Tea's Goddess of Mercy, which seems to improve things somewhat. GoM ices very nice.
Nice kyusu...I saw this on Chagin previously. Where did you get it?
Last edited by Chip on Jun 28th, '08, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 28th, '08, 15:43

by Victoria » Jun 28th, '08, 15:43

Checking in with a new AliShan Fragrant sample
from FLT in my afternoon cup.

Jun 28th, '08, 16:08

by Geekgirl » Jun 28th, '08, 16:08

Chip wrote:
Artistic Nippon. It's the "small size" gyokko. Total volume is about 5oz, or about 4.5oz of tea depending upon leaf type.

Jun 28th, '08, 16:46

by TimeforTea » Jun 28th, '08, 16:46

Between 16-32 ounces.

Enjoyed peach oolong today.

Jun 28th, '08, 17:04

by RussianSoul » Jun 28th, '08, 17:04

I drink 32-40 oz of tea on average, that's 4 to 5 cups.

Cold-brewed Gyokuro in my glass. Very pretty color, but something is missing. I brewed 2.5g per 5oz and the flavor is very light. It's a very nice tea-water. I'll up the leaf next time I try this.

Jun 28th, '08, 17:12

by Chip » Jun 28th, '08, 17:12

RussianSoul wrote:I drink 32-40 oz of tea on average, that's 4 to 5 cups.

Cold-brewed Gyokuro in my glass. Very pretty color, but something is missing. I brewed 2.5g per 5oz and the flavor is very light. It's a very nice tea-water. I'll up the leaf next time I try this.
Everything I read seems to say at least 1gram/1ounce...or higher leaf. I went with 1:1 with your Fukamushi Supreme, but I was impatient, waiting only an hour. The time is the biggest differential I am reading. From a few minutes to overnight and everything in between.

So, drinking this iced fukamushi that I brewed in a bodum press...talk about clogged up. I also went with room temp water vs. brewing with ice.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jun 28th, '08, 18:28

by auggy » Jun 28th, '08, 18:28

32 - 48oz for me typically. Sipping on some gyokuro right now.

I got a teacup in from eBay today. I opened the box and instead of one, there were three. :shock: I emailed the seller, but I hope I get to keep the extra two. :D

Jun 28th, '08, 18:39

by Salsero » Jun 28th, '08, 18:39

auggy wrote: I got a teacup in from eBay today. I opened the box and instead of one, there were three.
How can you tell us this without including a photo? Have you turned cruel?

Jun 28th, '08, 18:43

by Geekgirl » Jun 28th, '08, 18:43

auggy wrote:32 - 48oz for me typically. Sipping on some gyokuro right now.

I got a teacup in from eBay today. I opened the box and instead of one, there were three. :shock: I emailed the seller, but I hope I get to keep the extra two. :D
Sometimes ebay sellers will toss in extras that are slightly damaged, thus weren't put up for auction, or when they have several that were not bid on for an extended period...

I agree. Tormenting us by saying so and then no pics. grrr... :lol:

Jun 28th, '08, 18:49

by britt » Jun 28th, '08, 18:49

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:
Chip wrote:
Artistic Nippon. It's the "small size" gyokko. Total volume is about 5oz, or about 4.5oz of tea depending upon leaf type.
Nice kyusu. Your picture shows the detail much better than the pics on the website where you purchased it.

I wish there were more of these small capacity kyusu available. Some of the best tasting sencha and gyokuro I've had were brewed in small kyusu like yours.

Jun 28th, '08, 18:55

by Geekgirl » Jun 28th, '08, 18:55

britt wrote: Nice kyusu. Your picture shows the detail much better than the pics on the website where you purchased it.
Thanks, I was really surprised (and pleased) when I received it, to see how much the design stood out from the pot. I expected it to be more painted on/carved in.

I agree about the small size, I really don't like to use something large (over 9-10oz) for my daily pot because I prefer to brew 1-2 cups at a time. There are a couple of pots currently at Artistic Nippon and Tokoname Teapot that I love, but are 12-14 oz. I suppose I could just fill them 1/2 way, but that just feels wrong somehow. :lol:

Jun 28th, '08, 19:50

by Sam. » Jun 28th, '08, 19:50

I average 1 or 2 teas a day, with 3 or 4 infusions each. I voted ~32oz.

Jun 28th, '08, 19:57

by Salsero » Jun 28th, '08, 19:57

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:I agree about the small size ... I suppose I could just fill them 1/2 way, but that just feels wrong somehow.
I couldn't agree more that the right size pot is critical. I would go so far as to say that in the last analysis the size is more important than the design. Using less water in a larger pot does not work as well because the sencha tends to gather at the spout all the way to the top of the teapot, so you have to do an acrobatic act to get the small volume of water to wash all the sencha down into the water to brew in subsequent steeps.

I have regretted it every time I have purchased a kyusu or Yixing style pot that is too big ... no matter how beautiful the pot is.

I am with you, Britt, that Geekgirl's pot is exquisite as is her rendering of it for us. I have the second of those three small Gyokko at the site, the Tobikanna kyusu. I guess I figured it looked more masculine and I already had two red kyusu. On June 19th I posted a TeaDay photo of mine (which also looks quite different in the flesh than on the Artistic Nippon site) and links to three additional photos of it.

My other small pot, which I use constantly, was from O-Cha but is no longer available through Kevin.
I've never cared for its appearance, but it is very functional. I love the obi ami filter. As you can see, I broke off the lid knob and had to glue it back on, but it still makes fine tea.

There is one in the Tokoname Yuyaku 2008 Catalog (item #380) that looks the same and likely is the same pot.

Jun 28th, '08, 20:39

by henley » Jun 28th, '08, 20:39

Been a busy & fun day. Time to wind down w/a nice cuppa. Enjoying White Tip Oolong that came as a sample from NMTea.