Monday 8/11/08 How do you rate Chinese teas overall?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Taking EVERYTHING into consideration, how do you rate Chinese teas overall?

5 I rate them THE highest of all teas
19%
4 I rate them very highly, on par or better than almost all teas
57%
3 Average
15%
2 Below average
2%
1 I rate them lowest of all teas
No votes
Other
6%

Total votes: 47

Aug 11th, '08, 18:12
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Aug 11th, '08, 18:12

Selaphiel wrote:Does that mean that you actually possess the power to resist opening bags of tea?
That means that the TeaFridge has a time lock that only opens once a month. 8)

I fight the temptation knowing how stressed I was when I had 50 or more teas open at once. Is this wisdom gained through time and experience? :roll:

But I just opened yet another one. Rishi Ancient Teaflowers, actual tea plant flowers from Yunnan tea trees used in pu-erh production. I don't count this one since it is not TeaLEAVES. :lol: So, I opened 3 teas today. MUST STOP >>> NOW!!!
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Aug 11th, '08, 18:16

by Geekgirl » Aug 11th, '08, 18:16

I've never actually tried teaflowers. It's on my to-do list. :lol:

I only have two teas in the cupboard that are unopened, a Red Jacket and a Phoenix oolong. I'm about as disciplined as a 2 year old.

Aug 11th, '08, 18:26

by Chip » Aug 11th, '08, 18:26

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:I've never actually tried teaflowers. It's on my to-do list. :lol:

I only have two teas in the cupboard that are unopened, a Red Jacket and a Phoenix oolong. I'm about as disciplined as a 2 year old.
Yet another poll idea comes to mind, thanx Geek. Is anybody writing these ideas down???? I have the memory of a 2 year old.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Aug 11th, '08, 18:29

by Riene » Aug 11th, '08, 18:29

Now that is a sight to lift these weary spirits. What a pretty pot and cup, and such a wonderful treat. Thanks, Henley.
henley wrote:Was a bad girl today. Hubby's taking today off work so he & I had last night's dessert for bfast this morning. On the plate is Pound Cake that I made yesterday using my gma's recipe. Topped it w/fresh strawberries, blueberries & real whipped cream. Enjoyed it this morning w/a pot of Golden Monkey. Mmmmm! Will be sharing the rest of the cake w/my FIL to get it out of my house!!!

Aug 11th, '08, 18:53

by henley » Aug 11th, '08, 18:53

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:I've never actually tried teaflowers. It's on my to-do list. :lol:

I'm about as disciplined as a 2 year old.
Ditto on both accounts. My "Teas to Try" list keeps growing & as soon as I get a new tea in, I have to try it. The only exception has been the Hatsumi & it arrived right before I was going out of town for several days.

Geekgirl - Like the cup in your photo. Very pretty! You can use my teapot vicariously if I can use your *inlay floral chataku! :lol: Between all the beautiful ones posted here, it's getting harder to resist the temptation to buy one!

Glad everybody's enjoyed the cake. At least the version y'all had didn't have the calories! :lol:

*If that baby ever needs a new home, LMK!

Aug 11th, '08, 19:11

Chinese tea

by jim109 » Aug 11th, '08, 19:11

I voted #4, had Yunnan Gold this AM. Just got my delivery of Black Spiral, can't wait to try it in the AM from Omega's report! FLT is apparently in the process of moving. It took quite a while for the order to arrive.......they sent me a handwritten note apologizing and telling me they will not charge me for the order!!! I am impressed, my first dealings with them! Jim

Aug 11th, '08, 19:15

Re: Chinese tea

by Salsero » Aug 11th, '08, 19:15

jim109 wrote: ..they sent me a handwritten note apologizing and telling me they will not charge me for the order!!! I am impressed, my first dealings with them!
My perfectly normal order included a handwritten note saying she was charging me less for last year's tea than what the website quoted and including a hefty sample. Also, what I got was all premo quality.

Aug 11th, '08, 19:33

Re: Chinese tea

by omegapd » Aug 11th, '08, 19:33

jim109 wrote:I voted #4, had Yunnan Gold this AM. Just got my delivery of Black Spiral, can't wait to try it in the AM from Omega's report!
Hope I don't let you down, Jim. I give it a 4 minute steep. I don't think it would get bitter with a 10 min steep, though. Enjoy it and let me know!

EW

Aug 11th, '08, 20:29

by Geekgirl » Aug 11th, '08, 20:29

A very welcome day off today after working 7 straight days. (Not bad, but I'm usually a part-time 4-day a week worker.)

Finished my tea for the day with multiple infusions of a Taiwanese tieguanyin from Tao of Tea ("deluxe tieguanyin",) a medium oxidized/roasted TGY.

Aug 11th, '08, 20:38

by Victoria » Aug 11th, '08, 20:38

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:Image
Is this the "green" pot that looks more "tan", that actually looks almost white or eggshell????
:)

Aug 11th, '08, 20:42

by Geekgirl » Aug 11th, '08, 20:42

Victoria wrote:
Is this the "green" pot that looks more "tan", that actually looks almost white or eggshell????
It's a lighter tan, not really eggshell. The pot is slightly overexposed in this photo so the cup and PiXiu still had a little detail. But yes, it is quite light for yixing.

Aug 11th, '08, 22:20

by Victoria » Aug 11th, '08, 22:20

Last tea of the day - ToT Alishan -
in my new Fred Parker Pottery Tea Bowl.
I am so excited because I helped inspire the design.

~clickable~
Last edited by Victoria on Aug 11th, '08, 22:44, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 11th, '08, 22:22

by Geekgirl » Aug 11th, '08, 22:22

It looks incredibly thin and translucent. Is that the photo, or is it really of that quality?

Aug 11th, '08, 22:26

by Chip » Aug 11th, '08, 22:26

Congrats on your GREEN baby, Victoria. It is inspired!!! WOW, again.

Had Yame gyokuro a little earlier. I love gyokuro of this caliber.

Now I am about to try Rishi Ancient Tea Flowers. They appear to be QUITE different from Upton's.

Aug 11th, '08, 22:48

by Victoria » Aug 11th, '08, 22:48

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:It looks incredibly thin and translucent. Is that the photo, or is it really of that quality?
You have to ask??? - YES of course silly.
I am quite taken with it.
More so than I even expected.
Chip wrote:Congrats on your GREEN baby, Victoria. It is inspired!!! WOW, again.
Thanks Chip!