Friday TeaDay 8/22/08 Fair Trade Certified Teas

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Fair Trade Certified. Do these terms ring true to you?

Absolutely yes.
11%
I am leaning this way
18%
All other things being equal, yes
41%
No, not particularly
14%
Definitely not
2%
I am afraid to say, I am a bit unaware
11%
Other
2%

Total votes: 44

Aug 22nd, '08, 19:49

by Pentox » Aug 22nd, '08, 19:49

Chip wrote:
A gyokuro from Yame just blew me away. 2.67 grams per ounce water will do that, espeicially if it is called "the ultimate" and it makes good on its name. So, went with 4 grams of this devine precious dew leaf in 5 teeny 1.5 ounce steeps.
Yame Gyokuro the Ultimate from Zencha?

Aug 22nd, '08, 19:54

by bronzebed » Aug 22nd, '08, 19:54

Chip wrote: A gyokuro from Yame just blew me away. 2.67 grams per ounce water will do that, espeicially if it is called "the ultimate" and it makes good on its name. So, went with 4 grams of this devine precious dew leaf in 5 teeny 1.5 ounce steeps.

This was possibly the best gyokuro experience I have ever had. It was that good. My TeaDay just went from "very good" a few hours ago to phenom!
that description makes me really wanna try it.

today, more matcha experiments for me. i love the way matcha makes me feel energized but not jittery.

i feel bad, but i have only ever purchased a handful of fair trade teas. this is something that i really should look into.

Aug 22nd, '08, 19:59
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Aug 22nd, '08, 19:59

Pentox wrote: Yame Gyokuro the Ultimate from Zencha?
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Remember, I am an O-Cha TeaPlant! :wink:

yes
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Aug 22nd, '08, 20:04

by Pentox » Aug 22nd, '08, 20:04

Chip wrote:
Pentox wrote: Yame Gyokuro the Ultimate from Zencha?
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Remember, I am an O-Cha TeaPlant! :wink:

yes
There's nothing wrong with going to another vendor when your vendor does not offer the product. And for me when i'm shopping for yame gyokuro, well that's for comparison purposes!

Aug 22nd, '08, 20:09

by Space Samurai » Aug 22nd, '08, 20:09

bronzebed wrote:
Chip wrote:i feel bad, but i have only ever purchased a handful of fair trade teas.
No reason to feel bad. Fair Trade tea is growing in a more mass-produced direction. There are exceptions of course, tasty ones, Rishi has released more quality, artisinal Chinese greens in the last three to six months, for example, but new Fair Trade products tend to include new RTDs, tea bags, flavored blends and food items that use tea. This is an are in which I think Fair Trade can do more good, but also fails to leave us more serious tea drinkers without FTC options, arguably because producers of top quality tea are capable of fetching high enough prices.

Which leads to my standard disclaimer on this subject: I am in now way suggesting that all tea without the Fair Trade lablel is guilty of poor labor practices or unsafe conditions. I do think that in an increasingly globalised econonmy, it behooves us all to pay attention to where our goods come from, for our benefit and theirs. Fair Trade, like any labeling/certification, simply provides a way of knowing at a glance what a product is and isn't (conspiracy theories and tales of corruption aside).

Aug 22nd, '08, 20:10

by Chip » Aug 22nd, '08, 20:10

If Kevin does offer a Yame gyokuro, it will be awesome. I like Uji Gyokuro as well, but they do seem different than Yame. I think Yame would be a worthy addition.

Aug 22nd, '08, 20:17

by Pentox » Aug 22nd, '08, 20:17

Chip wrote:If Kevin does offer a Yame gyokuro, it will be awesome. I like Uji Gyokuro as well, but they do seem different than Yame. I think Yame would be a worthy addition.
How does that compare to the Yume no Ukihashi from O-cha? I've been eyeing some top end gyokuros recently.

Aug 22nd, '08, 20:35

by bronzebed » Aug 22nd, '08, 20:35

Space Samurai wrote: I do think that in an increasingly globalised econonmy, it behooves us all to pay attention to where our goods come from, for our benefit and theirs.
i definitely agree with ya there.

Aug 22nd, '08, 20:37

by Salsero » Aug 22nd, '08, 20:37

bronzebed wrote:
Space Samurai wrote: I do think that in an increasingly globalised econonmy, it behooves us all to pay attention to where our goods come from, for our benefit and theirs.
i definitely agree with ya there.
Me too ... eventually, the problems of rural China and India will be in our laps. The world is small these day.

Aug 22nd, '08, 20:50

by Chip » Aug 22nd, '08, 20:50

bronzebed wrote:
that description makes me really wanna try it (gyokuro).

today, more matcha experiments for me. i love the way matcha makes me feel energized but not jittery.
Could gyokuro be your next experiment? :D
Pentox wrote: How does that compare to the Yume no Ukihashi from O-cha? I've been eyeing some top end gyokuros recently.
I have yet to try O-Cha's top of the line gyokuro. This is a glaring deficiency in my TeaResume. :(

Aug 22nd, '08, 20:59

by Salsero » Aug 22nd, '08, 20:59

Mmm, enjoying a lovely second infusion of matcha to wind down from Tropical Storm Fay.

Aug 22nd, '08, 21:07

by augie » Aug 22nd, '08, 21:07

Salsero wrote:Mmm, enjoying a lovely second infusion of matcha to wind down from Tropical Storm Fay.
Shouldn't you be hunkered down under a table in your Johnny Boat loaded with supplies?

Aug 22nd, '08, 21:08

by jewelbug » Aug 22nd, '08, 21:08

I had to admit ignorance for this poll, so I gave the cop-out "i don't know enough to answer" answer. However, this thread is quite educational. I'd say that of course its a noble cause and I'd like to see more fair trade as long as quality isn't sacrificed. Its worth paying a bit more, in my opinion.

In the cup: Earlier I had the first brew of bronzebed's special pouchong (enjoyed it, too!), and will have more infusions soon. Right now I'm finishing some fruity iced tea that I had with dinner.

Aug 22nd, '08, 21:14

by leiche » Aug 22nd, '08, 21:14

Definitely support Fair Trade. All things being equal, I would (and do) buy FTC items.

Earlier today, 4 infusions of some Fire Kuan Yin from Red Blossom Tea Co. I brew in a ~9 oz kyusu, so that's a good bit of tea. Probably could've gotten more from it, but I don't really enjoy the lighter brews. I really need to buy myself a gaiwan already.

Aug 22nd, '08, 21:25

by Salsero » Aug 22nd, '08, 21:25

augie wrote:
Salsero wrote:Mmm, enjoying a lovely second infusion of matcha to wind down from Tropical Storm Fay.
Shouldn't you be hunkered down under a table in your Johnny Boat loaded with supplies?
The second infusions is so much more ... how can I say? .... imaginary.

Yes, Augie, living in Florida it is important to have emergency supplies in case of a big hurricane:
  • matcha
    ali shan
    darjeeling, 1st flush
    darjeeling, 2nd flush
    aging sheng in humidity controlled pumidor

Yutaka Midori
    haiwan old tea nugget 9908
    tai ping hou kui (cha wang)
    double lidded storage tins
    water
NOA recommends food, but I figure I can eat the tea leaves.