Saturday TeaDay 8/29/08 Fave tea for August?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Your favorite Tea for August was a ... ?

Black
27%
Oolong
27%
Green
33%
White
2%
Pu-erh
10%
Herbal
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 48

Aug 30th, '08, 20:31
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Aug 30th, '08, 20:31

britt wrote:Since I ran out of Yutaka Midori a couple of pure Taiwanese greens did a very good job of replacing my favorite. These were not light oolongs, but pure green teas that actually had somewhat of a sencha taste to them.

These two teas were Bi Liu and Bi Lu Chun, both are Taiwanese greens and both were purchased at Hou De Asian.
I was just looking at those last night! It has been 3-4 years since I had a true Taiwan green. So, I guess they were pretty good?
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Aug 30th, '08, 20:54

by britt » Aug 30th, '08, 20:54

These two teas were Bi Liu and Bi Lu Chun, both are Taiwanese greens and both were purchased at Hou De Asian.
Chip wrote:I was just looking at those last night! It has been 3-4 years since I had a true Taiwan green. So, I guess they were pretty good?
I was happy enough with them that I actually posted a review for one of them (I forget which one). Others who reviewed them also noted a sencha flavor, which we seemed to consider as a positive.

I don't prefer one over the other, so I buy whichever is in stock or both of them if they're available. I hadn't had Taiwanese greens for about a decade; a girlfriend would sometimes bring it back when she visited her family in Taiwan. I was very impressed with it, even though I wasn't a serious tea drinker. This offering from Hou De reminded me of the Taiwanese tea I remembered, although that was too long ago to make a fair comparison.

I also gave some to a co-worker who normally drinks only Japanese sencha. She was very impressed with this tea.

I have brewed this in a very thin Jing De Zhen gaiwan, a light Zhuni Yixing, and I've even thrown the leaves into a thin porcelain Arita cup. All worked out very well. However, any other Yixing I tried yielded very poor results. I think the best advice for this tea is ato use a thin, light, porcelain brewing vessel if possible. If that's not available, I'd leave the lid off of any heavier brewing vessel.

Hou De does offer a sample pack that contains both types.

Aug 30th, '08, 21:15

by Chip » Aug 30th, '08, 21:15

Thanx Britt for the thorough response!

Yeah, I saw the sample pack. Interesting, a little sencha-like. I had a Bi Lou Chun and a Long Jing Taiwan versions. If I buy again, I will remember that they need to be used fairly quickly in order to appreciate the finer aromas of Taiwan greens.

Aug 30th, '08, 22:00

by jim109 » Aug 30th, '08, 22:00

I voted black. Enjoyed Yunnan Golden Downy Pekoe this morning, now enjoying Japan Gyokuro organic as a nightcap!

Aug 30th, '08, 22:18

by Wosret » Aug 30th, '08, 22:18

Today has been a very productive tea day for me!

First, I shared my knowledge about water temperatures and green teas. Then, I got to share my first flush, single estate Darjeeling with some friends who are visiting from out of town, who are tea-lovers!

Also, I found out that I still have some Jasmine left. :D

Aug 30th, '08, 22:22

by henley » Aug 30th, '08, 22:22

Was torn between black & oolong. Golden Monkey is a favorite & have it most mornings for bfast but there have been a lot of great oolongs this month due to the box pass. Shui Xian, Aged Nan Tou & Monkey Picked Oolong all have an * by them in my tea journal as a note to buy more. :D Based on how much I enjoyed these, had to vote oolong.

Very busy day but managed to sneak in a few cups of Wuyi ensemble this afternoon.

Aug 31st, '08, 02:18

by edkrueger » Aug 31st, '08, 02:18

Why doesn't actually post their favorite tea(s). For me its Dark Roasted Oolong (from teance). Also notable are Aged Wenshan (from red blossom) and Gyokujo Sencha (from white crane).

Aug 31st, '08, 07:27

by CynTEAa » Aug 31st, '08, 07:27

Reading the poll question yesterday made me reflect back on the month which has been most trying. Once I got over my dismay at how difficult it was (and yet it is over too quickly) I realized I had consumed a lot of black tea. More Yunnan Gold than usual, a heck of a lot of Assam samples and Nepal first flush as a go-to tea in the afternoon.

So for September, I'm shooting for more oolong (I was dreaming of a Jade Oolong I received as a gift at the tea expo last night :roll: ) and more sencha. Yup, dreaming about my tea stash... :!:

Aug 31st, '08, 18:33

by GalileosDaughter » Aug 31st, '08, 18:33

Black tea. Finished off my Assam Melody and also drank a lot of Mango, Strawberry and Ceylon Sonata.

Aug 31st, '08, 23:36

by Chip » Aug 31st, '08, 23:36

CynTEAa wrote: So for September, I'm shooting for more oolong (I was dreaming of a Jade Oolong I received as a gift at the tea expo last night :roll: ) and more sencha. Yup, dreaming about my tea stash... :!:
Which expo? Jade oolong is a royal gift!

Yep, you need to move away from the Dark Side!

Sep 1st, '08, 09:37

by CynTEAa » Sep 1st, '08, 09:37

Chip wrote:
CynTEAa wrote: So for September, I'm shooting for more oolong (I was dreaming of a Jade Oolong I received as a gift at the tea expo last night :roll: ) and more sencha. Yup, dreaming about my tea stash... :!:
Which expo? Jade oolong is a royal gift!

Yep, you need to move away from the Dark Side!
You know, THE expo. WTE. :wink: And yes, a very special gift. Time has been flying since then...

The dark side is where I draw my power from...at least first thing in the morning!

:D

Sep 1st, '08, 16:58

by Chip » Sep 1st, '08, 16:58

CynTEAa wrote: You know, THE expo. WTE. :wink: And yes, a very special gift. Time has been flying since then...

The dark side is where I draw my power from...at least first thing in the morning!

:D
Ahhh, I misread your post and thought you got it "last night" at the Expo. I hope it rocked.

The Dark Side is heard even by memmers of the Green Tea Collective first thing on the morning. :twisted: